Build date i formation help

-

J.B.

Reaction score
I our purchased a 1971 Demon 340 with accurate vin and matching package tray vin and numbers matching 4 speed manual. The transmission says it was built October 25,1970? That vin number for thr 71 matches transmission. So was my car manufactured 10/70 for 1971 model year? I am working with MMC Detroit to get data plate made and i need a door sticker for vins production date. Need some direction here

Almost sounds like the trans was changes at some point. To dam Close though. But with Mopar you never know.

That is saying to me they pulled it right off the trans assy line for your car. To bad they dont put day codes on the build date. Seems like mopar used parts roughly 3 months earlier than the build date as in experience with distributors. so say a part is made in 11/70 it is for a 71 car. Just my experiece don distributors. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
That is saying to me they pulled it right off the trans assy line for your car. To bad they dont put day codes on the build date.
Right so i think im going with either 10/70 or 11/70 for manufacturing sticker date and 6 weeks prior for Scheduled build date for data plate replacement

Do you have a distributor date? Usually 10-12 weeks prior to it. Just because of that trans date I would go 11/70 myself.

There is other stuff date coded I am sure but what is day coded. One of the sites had a good breakdown with pics, MMC? something like that. I would average them out as long all the dates are prior you should be good.

Last edited:
Right so i think im going with either 10/70 or 11/70 for manufacturing sticker date and 6 weeks prior for Scheduled build date for data plate replacement
I would believe closer to December '70. Not sure about Demons but my '69 cuda has a body stamp date on the trunk rail not far from the vin stamp.

I would believe closer to December '70. Not sure about Demons but my '69 cuda has a body stamp date on the trunk rail not far from the vin stamp.
Trunk rail? Where the weatherstripping sits on?

When I ran the fender tag on my son's 73 Dart Sport, part of it told us what day the car was built. Does 70 not have the same codes on the fender tag? If so, run it thru a decoder.

When I ran the fender tag on my son's 73 Dart Sport, part of it told us what day the car was built. Does 70 not have the same codes on the fender tag? If so, run it thru a decoder.
That’s what I’m trying to figure out with other parts on the car the car doesn't have a fender tag it was lost years ago when it was stripped to rebuild, i am having one remade so trying to be as accurate as possible based on the numbers matching parts on the car.

I will take a look outside edge or inside edge
Like I stated, not really sure if that would apply to your car so just a thorough look in that direction. Mine is on the drivers side of the trunk.

This is mine. Body stamping plant is Outer Drive, Date is Jan. 30 (30 01)
If you have SS that would be the Sterling Stamp plant.
upload_2021-9-20_18-3-45-jpeg.jpg

You'll never get an accurate scheduled production date if you don't have the tag or a broadcast sheet. It is only a scheduled date, not necessarily the actual production date. There are instances where the date codes on the engine or transmission are after the SPD because production was delayed for some reason.

-
Back