Build my street car! What would you do?

-

NorthernSwede

Reaction score
Just as a way to get ideas for a future build, what would you do to this car, what parts, what engine, transmission and so on! Write it all! Here are the guidelines.

- You have a budget of 18500 USD

- You have a stock 4dr '66 Dart

- You have to build smallblock

- You have a stock 904 though you mustn't use it

- You have a stock 8 3/4 rear

- You have to make the car driveable, no strip-only car

- As fast as possible

- Don't care for looks/styling in this budget ;)

- Free workshop jobs!

Have fun =D

340 or 360 .030 over. Nice 268 or above cam from compcams or lunati. iron heads with some nice port work, 650 Mighty Demon carb or similar Holley carb, FBO or MSD ignition

tti early-a-body headers (tti powermaster mini starter needed) X-pipe to mufflers of your choice. Dougs are okay too but not sure about the clearance with the 5-speed.

tremec tko-500 tranny kit with .63 OD 3.91 gears

8 3/4 rear with new axles LBP, 3.91 detroit true-trac vs. sure-grip, new 340 leaf springs, KYB shocks

Move springs inboard either 3/4" or the 3" kit if you want to minitub

Frame connectors a must IMO

Rebuilt front suspension with 383 a-body torsion bars, LBP disc brakes, sway bar, adjustible aluminum or steel strut rods, KYB shocks, tubular upper control arms

15" wheels and tires of your choice. 255s out back minimum.

Paint and body: since you don't care...... just straighten the body out real nice and shoot it with some black epoxy until you are ready to get some decent squirt on it.

This will get you close to 18500 if you paid for the body work and paint.

Nope, sound body. No rust and good condition. Sure, look at my other threads =) Especially, "Just got my '66 Dart" or something like it =)

408 crate motor. RMS front and rear suspension. minitub, sub frame connectors, and spring relocation. rebuilt 727 with shift kit.

I don't think I would invest $18,500 in a 4 door, 66 dart.

Not to stir the pot here.. but didn't you just go against your own words from another thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustergal
It was on Ebay just a couple of years ago, anyone could have bought it but I was the only one to put a bid on it.

We picked up a running 360 with trans for $100 off Ebay last year, and a 440 for $200 out of the impound lot. Deals are out there...or I'm just lucky? lol

This is the thread topic.

So what's a rebuilt 340 worth these days?'

The original poster in this current thread asked what you would do with $18,500, in a 66 Dart 4 door. He did not ask 'Would you put this money into a 66 Dart 4 door'.

Again, not trying to stir the pot. Just saw you give dustergal a bit of flack for not helping out the original posters question, and you just did the same thing she did here.

The other thread was a different situation. And yes, you are trying to stir the pot, but that's ok. I understand your point.

But with that budget $18,500 (he is not doing anything cosmetic) and his expectations, I think he would be better off with a different foundation.

The other thread was a different situation. And yes, you are trying to stir the pot, but that's ok. I understand your point.

But with that budget $18,500 (he is not doing anything cosmetic) and his expectations, I think he would be better off with a different foundation.

agreeed

Thanks for the answers so far!

And regarding a '66 4dr beeing far from the "perfect" car, sure. But then again, i want the whole front seat, i like the exterior and interior of the '66 and I at least would be a bit more pissed of to get the taillights of a 4dr '66 dart, if i wanted to go really fast i'd buy bugatti but that's just boring...

Thanks

Thanks for the answers so far!

And regarding a '66 4dr beeing far from the "perfect" car, sure. But then again, i want the whole front seat, i like the exterior and interior of the '66 and I at least would be a bit more pissed of to get the taillights of a 4dr '66 dart, if i wanted to go really fast i'd buy bugatti but that's just boring...

Thanks

yeah, bugattis are overrated. I have like three of them myself.:toothy10:

Well, assuming it's your car and you like it, and the body's good... I'd min-tub it and add some decent rear tires. Then I'd tie the frames together well. Then I'd build a medium duty 4" arm engine, and build the 904 properly to live behind the engine. Any left over cash should go into brakes, HID lighting, and some gages.

Well, assuming it's your car and you like it, and the body's good... I'd min-tub it and add some decent rear tires. Then I'd tie the frames together well. Then I'd build a medium duty 4" arm engine, and build the 904 properly to live behind the engine. Any left over cash should go into brakes, HID lighting, and some gages.

I like every thing here except the 904. I would go with a 727 built, with a manual shift valve body(I hate "auto shift" auto's :-D )

408, with forged bottom end, big heads (Indy?) with bigger single turbo, Megasquirt to control it. 727 with gear vendors to 8 3/4 with 3.91 gears.
mandrel bent exhaust with big magnaflows, over axle, with dummy 2" chrome tips to throw them off base. Black out entire undercarriage including exhaust, so it all blends.

Subframe connectors and torque boxes to tie it all together.
Dynamat or Hushmat the inside under carpet.
4 wheel discs, possible with Scarbird or other OE type parts, painted black, so they appear low buck.
Move springs inboard, and pick you wheel and tire combo (draglites with drag radials, 17" with lower profile rubber.

727s dont fit without flattening the firewall, and he did say he needed to use a 904...

hell for that kind of money I would buy something allready dun.:cheers:just a thought...turn the key and ride......

This would be an awesome build; although I have never had a nice budget like this.
I would probably gowith a 360 massaged alittle, twin turbos, 5 or 6 speed manual trans, 4 link rear susp, and 4:10 gears!

-
Back