Build thoughts

-

2nd Dart 67

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I need some advice to finish my build. Car is a 70 swinger with manual brakes and steering. I have is a 340 bored .040 with KB hyperutectic pistons. The bottom end is finished and am working on the top end. I have some 340 heads that have been rebuilt to stock specs a while ago. I have Hooker comp headers, MSD billet dist. with 6A box. The trans is auto 904, rebuilt but not sure of stall. The rear end is a 8.75 Suregrip with a 489 case, with I believe 2.76 or 2.93 gear ratio, from what I can tell by rotating the tire and counting the number of drive line revolutions.

I was thinking of getting a RPM AIR GAP intake, but need advice on a Carb and Cam. Car is going to be street only, am looking for a good sounding cam that has street manners. I have an old Demon 650 but i don't like it. I was thinking of a Edelbrock.

Thoughts?

3000 stall com cams 20-228-4 loose the gears tho if your going for time 3.91s if touring change whole setup that I said

Nice aggressive grind,HE285xl. Valvesprings/ retainers/ retainer to valve guide clearance,needs to be checked. Awesome responsive bumpstick. The HE275xl,worth checking out,too.

That's true,Rick .Good point.O.p,what are you willing to deal with,driveability,tuning,and modifications to make it work?.

That's true,Rick .Good point.O.p,what are you willing to deal with,driveability,tuning,and modifications to make it work?.

Hey Bro! I must be getting old, that's probably the smallest cam's I've recommended since I was a member here...lol. But with that gear on a street car......

Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses! I would like a mild street car that idles nice and sounds good. I'm not anticipating changing the gears right away, but am willing to get a stall converter. I have an opportunity to get this cam new and cheap: comp cams: 20-224-4 what would be needed for this? Worth it?

Want lope, get a cam cut on a 106ish LSA, more overlap.

Converter in the 2500-3500 stall range would help with manners a lot.

The XE274 is a good cam, will definitely benefit from a converter and a short rear tire. Start putting a 27" or taller tire on it and you will need more gear.

I think your cam selection depends so much on those gears....I think you gotta get in some 3.23s at least.

That cam you looked at,nice. Gonna need 3:70'-3:90 gears,for optimum. If not gonna re-gear,listen to Crackback's comments. Otherwise,a pig around town. That's what Rick,commented on.That XE274,from Crackedback,or the Lunati post Rick offered you.Nice choices.

I just looked up replacement gears. They aren't too expensive, I was expecting more. . So if I went with the comp 20-224-4, what gear size and converter would be ideal?

What tire?

I'm a proponent of buy the best converter you can afford. Really good 9.5" units run 500-700 and you get what you pay for. Most 3500 units are in the 450-550 range, so not that much different and you can get one built for your application. I heard Dynamic was having some kind of sale on 9.5" units for 595, usually 695. Even without a lot of gear, you just work the converter harder when under hard loads.

24-26" tire, run a 3.23-3.55

26-28, 3.73-4.10

I just looked up replacement gears. They aren't too expensive, I was expecting more. . So if I went with the comp 20-224-4, what gear size and converter would be ideal?

Gear.....3.23, if your looking for a driver/cruiser. I'd look in the 2800 stall range for the converter, BUT......off the shelf stuff, ie: B&M, TCI, etc, while cheap, rarely give you the stated stall speed or performance that's advertised. Since you don't know how you current converter will react with the new cam, i'd put it together and see how it act's. If you feel you need more, one of the specialty converter builders will be money well spent......if it's needed.

.Post above yours,gear recommendations. Post 9 ,converter recommendations. Recommend,buying matching valvesprings/ retainers,on this one Normally,I like fresh 340 replacement springs,this one has some good valve action on it. This will be"good sounding". Try that 650,it's free!

Turbo Action,good stuff for converters. Not cheap,but reliable.Heed Rick's words,on converter quality.

F.Y.I: Have someone ,I know has the next cam up(240/246)@.050),10.4 to one ,in a 302 Pinto.2800 stall/ stock8" 3:42's. Incinerates,slicks,drag radials at will.

-
Back