Build up

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Now that I have my Duster I am in a pickle figuring out what to do for the engine. I have a low mileage 400 that has been in the family for a while but the car is a 318 car so I could even consider that. I know there was a thread earlier about engine ideas but i hate to burgle his thread so here is mine. Build a streetable 400 w/keisler trans and air OR a 318 w/keisler trans and air? Now i guess the $$$ is no big deal, but as we all know its always a big deal these days, however if i can get things in a kit and find good deals on heads, cam etc...well you all see the idea? So as far as good engine kits and head dealers? Any ideas? opinions? BB? SB? I've never driven a big block A body...always a small block. I'd like to have an engine comparable or better that my 07' daytona. But something I can drive the wheels off of. Thanks a ton and I appreciate the board!!!

I guess you have to decide what you want to do with the car.

Drag racing ? Drop a stroked 400 in it.

Regular street driving with some emphasis on handling ? Use a small block.

If you want both - then consider a stroker small block.

The small block will be easier to do from an install point of view. You'd be using standard stock external parts. The big block will require mounts, special exhaust maybe, radiator, etc. All things to consider.

Good luck deciding.

The more expensive things with the 400 is exhaust, headers come to mind not being cheap, engine mount kit and smaller, not as big of a deal things like the parts of the engine or rebuilding parts of it. Like pistons for a 318 are generaly more expensive than the 360, same for the 400 being more expensive than a 440's pistons.

The B engine will produce more HP and less torque than a stroker small block of the same size. So the extra cost of the stroker crank is out.

The 400 can do well for an everyday driver and still make good power. You can be conservitive on cam and still toppel 400 hp easy. With the overdrive, you'll certainly retain good mileage.

Cam example, 216/228 - under .500 lift will retain good mileage.

I Just like 360's, very versatile Motor, Anywhere from 250 hp to 700+ ..... Only the Cash will stop you... Start small n build it over time..

My .02 Eric

Eric? its been a while, i think the last time i posted here you were still working on paint. Looks good!

I emailed the boys at Keith Black and told them what i was after for the 400. They suggested a good piston that shoud get about 10:1. But did warn about pinging w/ an open chamber head. Rumblefish, How does the air affect your performance on your Magnum? Funny as it is my father used to have a 78' Magnum XE w/ a 400. Ran awesome. I want someting with some pep for sure but, bad as I hate to say it...Need air living in NW Fl. I'd like to put more miles on the duster than my 07' Daytona.

My A/c doesn't work. The hose's do not reach the new position of the A/C pump. A/C pumps do take up some power though and eat up gas. Newer pumps use less power. I'm not sure if a new system is within your budget, but until it is, don't worry about it, just live with it. Should a street race or needed extra amount of power be required somewhere sometime, the A/C switch isn't to far away to move over to off.

I am not amused by the amount of power my 400 has. It is a very high mileage engine. I simply disassembled it to check specs on it. There within tolorence. Barely. And the ultra high compresion ratio of 7.8-1 doesn't help any.

That engine will not be in there much longer. I'm going back to a small block. I like driving the car alot and the mileage with 3.55's ain't cuttin it.

-
Back