Building a garage, cost $$$$

-
have you looked into the 84 lumber kits?? they seem pretty reasonable.. you have to build it your self but the few guys that i know that have built one says it is really easy. it goes up in 8 ' sections....

also what about a pole barn? i have guys telling me that you get bigger for youre money with them...

i have been asking around because i want a garage in the next few years...

I just called my local 84 Lumber yard and they said it was $5400 for a 24x24 garage kit and a whole $200 more would get me a 24x28 garage kit. Seems like a good deal compared to what I have been getting quoted but like you said, I would have to build it all myself. Concrete pad would probably be another $2500 I would estimate. Thanks for the tip, Ill keep that one in my back pocket as well.

First let me say that BUILDING MATERIALS ARE MUCH HIGHER NOW THAN 8 YEARS AGO! My Wife and I are going through a Home remodel right now and believe me it is expensive! VERY EXPENSIVE! All new kitchen,walls being torn out,new sheetrock,new plumbing,flooring etc. Also about 4 years ago I had my 24 X 40 metal building built with full insulation,central air and heat and it was around $14000.00 finished! Today I would expect this building to cost in the area of $24000.00 or even more due to price increases in Concrete,steel and other related materials.As one member said there is too much difference in prices on your quotes! Someone is not on track with the bid.I also would say that the HIGHER estimate is more realistic! Would not hurt to get another bid and make sure all are bidding on the same thing,size,type of materials used,thickness of concrete,electrical etc. You can also get a book called a Cost Means Construction book and do a cost estimate yourself just for peace of mind.It is something I always do on any project.Also find out from your contractor if they have references on previous garages built in your area, and contact those people to see how everything went using the contractor and there satisfaction with the work,contractor and finished product! Us Mopar people got to spend our $$$ wisely so we always have a little to spend on the MOPAR PROJECTS!

Bobby

A lot of nice garages and info, thanks guys! The last thing I want to do is sell my baby to build a garage! What the hell would I put in it then!...LOL

bh263.JPG

Went through the same thing last summer.
The quotes I got were 25K to 30k.
30 ft by 24ft 9ft ceiling insulated one entry door 16 x 7 insulated garage door one window on the south side French doors in the back east side attached to house which added cost due to fire code sheet rock entry door etc.
Full wallboard interior, electric and garage door opener. Siding and trim to match house.

Slab,footers and steel $1700
Built my own trusses $400
Over head door $800 with opener
By the time I was finished just over 10 Grand.

Did the whole building permit inspection thing as well.

I'm not a contractor just did the research and a little sweat and time.
Took me about 7 weeks.

If I did it again I might get some help with the Concrete work.
First thing I realized is Contractors add 25 to 35 percent to materials.
The rest is lobar. Don't get me wrong that's their gig it's how they make an
Honest living. If I had the money sure it would have been I want this there let me know when it's done and I'll write a check. But I have to say when it was finished and I look at it now, Money can't buy how good it feels to know I built the garage where I'm building my Mopar.

I just called my local 84 Lumber yard and they said it was $5400 for a 24x24 garage kit and a whole $200 more would get me a 24x28 garage kit. Seems like a good deal compared to what I have been getting quoted but like you said, I would have to build it all myself. Concrete pad would probably be another $2500 I would estimate. Thanks for the tip, Ill keep that one in my back pocket as well.

Check your local building codes. They may not let you build it on a slab. Even though the plans for my garage were signed off by a Mass licensed PE and called for a 2' footing the local building inspector insisted on a footing that went below the frost line. That required hiring a backhoe for excavating, some one to put up concrete forms and a bunch more concrete. That cost me an addtional $3500 above the 6" concrete floor I poured.

I dont have pics of mine, but last year i built my own. I was given an est of 16K. i had help from family and friends, cost me beer and food. We laid the concret and everything. like my car i just learned as I went. the best thing is to have a plan, learn what you need to do that step and go for it. it cost me about 6k for the whole thing to enclude the floor, wiring, light fixtures, 2-drive doors 1 entry door. Oh it is a 32x24. and like others said build the biggest you can the first time.

Check these guys out.

http://www.pmhi.com/SubTopic-2CarGarages.htm

I talked to them about doing a kit for me. I decided against it since construction is not my thing, but if you're into doing it yourself, you could save a bunch of money. They also do custom kits.

Lee

I do not know much about building materials or garages but this looks pretty
simple to assemble. I hate to buy a garage and "get what you pay for" so does
anyone have any experience with these? I am on a low budget and it looks like a
28x28x10 garage is about 7K. Is this a good quality product? Snowload for
NY?....Thanks in advance! see link: http://www.valuesteel.com/metal_garage.htm

The following is an email offer I received about a month ago. I bought the metal only for one of these buildings a few years ago for $6500.00 for a 30 x 50 A style bldg. Still haven't put it up.\
Check out their website. this is just for some reference for you. Good luck
John

http://www.us-buildings.com/
We are making our last offer to you at rock bottom prices. These are the lowest prices we have ever offered. The bottom line is we want to earn your business today.

You Win!
These are the prices you have been waiting for. No need to negotiate! The best price for a steel building is right in front of you. You do not need to look any further. We are by far offering you the lowest prices in the industry.
If you order immediately we will give you a Special Bonus Offer.
We have only had this offer once in our history. All items below are free:

* State Certified Drawings(a $1500 savings)
* Immediate Delivery or Free Storage for 6 Months(a $1000 savings)

We are offering everything we can to earn your business.

Here is what I need you to do

* Choose the building you are interested. If you are looking for a another size we can try to accommodate you.
* Call US Buildings at 1-800-416-4482 and ask for Cory
* Tell Cory you are a customer from the Do Not Call list. This lets him know about the special pricing.
* Tell Cory you want to include the Special Bonus Offer
* Have your credit card information available to order your buildings.

Limited Time Offer
We have to make this clear that this is a limited offer. The deadline is Tuesday to order and take advantage of the discount prices and free offers.
steel buildings
metal buildings steel and metal buildings

A model

16x20x11-$2460

20x24x12-$2890

25x30x12-$3630

30x40x14-$5210

S model

20x30x12-$3440

25x30x14-$3930

30x40x14-$5250

40x60x16-$9460

Q model

30x40x10-$4990

40x40x14-$5580

40x60x14-$7730

46x100x16-$15,560

Very Important
Due to overwhelming response of calls please call only to order one of our factory direct priced buildings.

Call 1-800- 416-4482 Ask for Cory
Or email [email protected]

Prices based on 22 gauge galvalume and do not include accessories, doors, endwalls All prices FOB Boone, North Carolina factory.

The construction company I work for just built a 28x25 and it was around the $22,000 mark. Vinyl siding. Less sheet rock but that included the electrical.

I have a metal shop for my business.
I know there are folks from all over the country posting here but I think is is prudent to bring this up.
It is hotter than Hell in the summer and you'll freeze your butt off in winter....IF you don't insulate the thing as thick as you can. Even then it may be uncomfortable on extreme temperatuire days. Yesterday it was 104 here in Sacramento and in the winter it can get into the upper 20's at nite.
This can add LATER to your cost when you discover this after the fact, so you should figure that cost in now.

"and in the winter it can get into the upper 20's at nite."

Hehe....I know what you mean and good point! Our winter's sometimes fall below 0 but the usual is in the teens. Thanks for the post. Insulation is a must!

I have a metal shop for my business.
I know there are folks from all over the country posting here but I think is is prudent to bring this up.
It is hotter than Hell in the summer and you'll freeze your butt off in winter....IF you don't insulate the thing as thick as you can. Even then it may be uncomfortable on extreme temperatuire days. Yesterday it was 104 here in Sacramento and in the winter it can get into the upper 20's at nite.
This can add LATER to your cost when you discover this after the fact, so you should figure that cost in now.

I have one of the US-Building steel buildings for a garage that is not insulated.
Garage11.jpg

In the summer I work in it with the overhead door open and suprisingly it's no hotter inside than the outside air temperature. It may have something to do with the silver color. Just last Saturday it was in the mid 90's when I changed the steering rack in a friends car. It was more comfortable to be in the garage than in the sun.

In the winter it gets down to zero degrees quite often. I have a propane garage heater that I use. It will take about 20 minutes to bring the inside air temperature up to a comfortable working temperature from zero degrees. I have several 20lb propane bottles I use. One bottle will be good for 3 or 4 1/2 day work sessions in the garage.

If you were trying to maintain a constant temperature in the building insulation would be mandatory but for an occasional work area and storage for your car it is not necessary. The only issue I have had that insulation may help with is when there is a rapid change in temperature from cold to warm I get some condinsation inside the garage.

Garage11.jpg

Garage11.jpg

Mine is 24 x 36, two stories with 10 ft ceilings downstairs. I built it all myself with the exception of finishing the concrete. The concrete and fininshing it alone was close to 9 grand.

I am a sales manager for a building manufacturer and will tell you from experience the first thing that you need to do is contact your local building/planning authority because some types of building contruction are not allowed depending on local codes or covenants. For example, pole buildings and/or steel siding are sometimes not allowed. You don't want to find something that fits your budget and then you find out it is not allowed so now you are at page 1 all over again. If you decide to purchase a structure via the internet don't rely on the building seller to tell you that it is allowed. I have also seen buildings sold to people that they weren't allowed to erect so they were stuck with a structure they couldn''t use. We as car guys see fly-by-night suppliers all the time and will tell you that the same is true for building manufacturers, just more dollars at stake.

Chuck

I do not know much about building materials or garages but this looks pretty
simple to assemble. I hate to buy a garage and "get what you pay for" so does
anyone have any experience with these? I am on a low budget and it looks like a
28x28x10 garage is about 7K. Is this a good quality product? Snowload for
NY?....Thanks in advance! see link: http://www.valuesteel.com/metal_garage.htm

Ok, here is something of interest for you garage builders! This sounds like a
really good deal! Remember the post I sent that started this whole thread? It
was the link to value steel (maker of the steel garage package) Here it is again
for those that do not care to search back: http://www.valuesteel.com This guy
quoted me roughly $7500 for a 30x32 garage kit. He sent me an installation video
showing how easy his garages were installed. It was a step by step kinda deal.
Real cool to watch. Anyways, all the installers in the video had on shirts that
said "versatube" so I googled it and came up with a website www.versatube.com If
you click on the link at the bottom of the versatube site under the "find a
dealer" it shows who sells these things. In my area I happen to have a "lowes"
home improvement center (Simular to a Home Depot) for those that are not
familiar. Large chain stores. I went in there this afternoon and asked the guy
behind the counter what a Versatube garage would cost me in a 30x32 and he said
it was $2915!!!!!! WOW!!!!! The first guy was making a huge markup I guess! I
should note also that the first guy wanted $699 to deliver it to my house. Lowes
said there was no shipping charges unless I wanted "Lowes" to bring it to my
house, that would be $55 more. Just thought I would thow this one out to those
interesetd in this type of storage facility. The expensive guy mentioned above
also sells these on ebay, here is a link to one of his auctions for comparison:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330159373333&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11

That sounds AWFUL CHEAP! I would certainly find out the thickness of the metal framing,roofing ,siding and also look really close at the strength of the design of the structure!Sometimes Sellers of Metal buildings will sell you really cheap materials that come from CHINA and other foreign countries.There is a big difference in metal thickness of some of these structures! BEWARE! And ASK ALL KINDS OF QUESTIONS! I went to the e bay add and nowhere in the add does it state what gauge metal any metal is!I would BEWARE of that! In my opinion that is a FLIMSY structure and personally I would not park one of my cars in there period! That would make a good storage building and that is about it.Contact them for gauge of metal thickness! My building I built is SUPER STRONG! all red iron and heavy gauge metal framing and I did not need a CRANE! My building is all welded,and also has heavy gauge roofing that I can walk on without bending and I weigh 275! also has heavy gauge metal siding.It is built to last MANY MANY YEARS! I have too much invested in the 3 cars that is parked inside for it not to be strong!It is your choice and your money! spend it wisely for something that is going to add value to your home and that is going to LAST!

Ok, here is something of interest for you garage builders! This sounds like a
really good deal! Remember the post I sent that started this whole thread? It
was the link to value steel (maker of the steel garage package) Here it is again
for those that do not care to search back: http://www.valuesteel.com This guy
quoted me roughly $7500 for a 30x32 garage kit. He sent me an installation video
showing how easy his garages were installed. It was a step by step kinda deal.
Real cool to watch. Anyways, all the installers in the video had on shirts that
said "versatube" so I googled it and came up with a website www.versatube.com If
you click on the link at the bottom of the versatube site under the "find a
dealer" it shows who sells these things. In my area I happen to have a "lowes"
home improvement center (Simular to a Home Depot) for those that are not
familiar. Large chain stores. I went in there this afternoon and asked the guy
behind the counter what a Versatube garage would cost me in a 30x32 and he said
it was $2915!!!!!! WOW!!!!! The first guy was making a huge markup I guess! I
should note also that the first guy wanted $699 to deliver it to my house. Lowes
said there was no shipping charges unless I wanted "Lowes" to bring it to my
house, that would be $55 more. Just thought I would thow this one out to those
interesetd in this type of storage facility. The expensive guy mentioned above
also sells these on ebay, here is a link to one of his auctions for comparison:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330159373333&sspagename=ADME:X:AAQ:US:11

Just a warning, there are different type of kits, the ones built with steel beans are much stronger. This one is built with waht looks like hollow 2x4's, they are about as strong as a garden shed. If you live in areas of heavy wind or snow, it would not be a good idea. I would do some more research into the stregth of these kits. The price itself seems reasonable, just make sure it is sutable for your needs.

Just a warning, there are different type of kits, the ones built with steel beans are much stronger. This one is built with waht looks like hollow 2x4's, they are about as strong as a garden shed. If you live in areas of heavy wind or snow, it would not be a good idea. I would do some more research into the stregth of these kits. The price itself seems reasonable, just make sure it is sutable for your needs.

A hollow 2x4 is nearly as strong as a solid 2x4 and you would only need to go slightly larger than 2x4 to make it stronger than a solid 2x4. The only issue with hollow tubing is to ensure there is enough wall thickness to resist impacts that can cause them to buckle.

As long as you get construction drawings signed by a professional engineer in the state where you plan to construct the building it will be plenty strong to with stand snow loads and winds to a level that could be expected in your area.

-
Back