Building a gasser

-

IAval65

Reaction score
I m thinking about making my 65 valiant into a gasser and I was wandering if anybody would know a good axle width cuz I m going to order a complete kit to do so

Take your rear axle and subtract 6" and you're done . don't forget to move the springs in 3" per side . Gassers typically had ladder bars 34-36", 4-speeds , straight front axel and run 10's on gas . good luck

speed way has many straight and dropped axles and spring kits . this is out of a old a body gasser , even has a sub frame section . and the engine was set back aways with a tilt nose .
DSC00008.JPG
DSC00009.JPG
DSC00012.JPG
DSC00014.JPG
DSC00015.JPG
DSC00017.JPG
DSC00018.JPG
DSC00019.JPG
DSC00020.JPG
DSC00021.JPG

U mean to move the rear leafs in rite I put a 9 inch in it fyi 9 in ford axle housing out of a 59 ford fairlane is a direct bolt on 65 valiant

U mean to move the rear leafs in rite I put a 9 inch in it fyi 9 in ford axle housing out of a 59 ford fairlane is a direct bolt on 65 valiant
Doesn't matter who made the rear axle . If you want to get big tires under the car moving the springs under the frame rails is necessary . Even larger tires can be used by moving the frame rails inboard but that's major surgery .

Is there a relocation kit for them and if so where do you find them at

or you can half the width of the frame rails on the wheel house like the pro stockers did . and move the spring inside of the frame rails , for big rubb'r .

Please post pics of your car and the progress! I hope to have a straight axle streeter one day. Ck out Steve Magnante's book on building altered wheelbase cars if you haven't already. Good read altogether with good info on the straight axle installation.

Last edited:
-
Back