Building a Harmonic Balancer installer V1.0

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
After pulling my Harmonic balancer to remove the timing cover and do the oiling mods for the timing chain I needed a way to reinstall the harmonic balancer. After thinking about it I went to my bolt vendor and bought a 3/4 X NF grade 8 bolt 5 1/2" long, 2ea 3/4" grade 8 flat washers and a 3/4" NF hex nut. As the bolt had only 2 inches of thread I took it to my machine shop and had them cut NF threads up to the head on a lathe. Searching my parts pile, I found that the outer spindle bearing was a perfect fit for a 3/4" bolt. Cost, nut, bolt & washers $3.85. Lathe work $30.00 and bearing free as I had it in stock. Below are the photos.
DR--------------

Attachments

• HarmInst1.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 251
  • HarmInst2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 267
That awesome!
I have free access to a CNC shop where I work. ...and I'll be needing this tool soon.....

:coffee2:

Does the bearing allow it to go on without having to wedge something in the fly wheel? This is so bizarre. I just got a piece of all thread and bolt, washers etc. from work. I also thought about using the bearings. Not sure if I still have any laying around. Thanks.

That is very cool. Looks just like to OEM rent a tool sans the multi thread for use with other sizes. That's a good one for the tool box.

Does the bearing allow it to go on without having to wedge something in the fly wheel? This is so bizarre. I just got a piece of all thread and bolt, washers etc. from work. I also thought about using the bearings. Not sure if I still have any laying around. Thanks.
Don't understand the flywheel reference, this is built for the front harmonic balancer install on any engine with a 3/4 NF female thread in the front of the crankshaft. The bearing is a must have component of the system as it allows the nut to turn without undue friction on the washers driving the balancer on the crankshaft.
I just looked at the photos of the $90.00 universal ones and figured I could do better. One improvement over mine would be to have a hardned nut but for casual work, this works fine. Did a really nice job on my install which is detailed in another thread in the small block section. Thanks for the kind comments all and happy DST weekend-------------DR----O:)

Warm up the balancer in an oven or on a hot plate. Makes it easier to install.

-
Back