Building a home for a 408

-

fishman

Reaction score
Im finally got this far, I will be putting a 408 together in the next week or two. I needed to get this together so I have a place to put it. Cant wait to hear this thing run. Got the eagle rotating assm. last week all balanced and ready to go. Also the heads for Indy all ready matched to the 511 solid cam I bought from them. Im going with a Holly street avenger 780. A friend of mine that is a carb man said the steet avenger carbs he has seen are set up to lean. I was wondering if anyone on here might have run across this problem with yours. Thanks for the help I have recevied on this site, Tom

engine bay 006.JPE

engine bay 028.JPE

engine bay 047.JPE

engine bay 054.JPE

engine bay 049.JPE

engine bay 058.JPE

engine bay 059.JPE

whish i could help you tom but i dont know much about the street avenger....i like the double pumpers

Not sure either.

BUT my builder for my 408 recommended a Barry Grant Mighty Demon 825CFM. It's too pricey for me, so I'm going with my sixpack setup I already have.

Your car is coming along nicely, btw.

Fishman
your suspension & engine bay are looking great!
As far as the holley st. avengers go I heard initially there were problems with
the plating flaking-off . Apparently the parts were coated inside and out and eventually the plating corroded and clogged all the internal passages etc.
Hopefully Holley's addresssed these issues...

I see you`ve gotten the torsion bars in and the spindles on. Someone`s been busy! Looks good, I hope to get a weekend pass and come help you out. You know how it is with Carlisle coming up.

Yes, cant wait for Carlisle. The partI could realy use a hand with is the under dash thanks Johnny Thanks for the input, Tom

780cfm Holley spec seems too mild for a .511 solid lifter 408...

I have not experience with that model, no advice there.

Thought Id throw some pics on here. Slowly but surely its coming along. One of our members (longone) cameover and helped me fit the rings yesterday. (Thanks Johnny) We will start the rest this week. Maybe it wont be to long I will get to here that great noise coming from the garage.

engine bay 060.JPE

engine bay 064.JPE

engine bay 065.JPE

engine bay 066.JPE

A 780 will run out of steam about 4800-5000 rpm on that stroker is my guess. It'll be real torquey with the small carb.

I'd run at least an 850 or maybe even a 950 on it if it were mine. It will probably suck up ever bit of either.

If street driving and fuel economy are part of your program, the Vac Sec are a good choice.

I guess I'll find out on the carb, hope it's enough. I have a friend that really knows carbs. He has a 439 cid smallblock that puts out 850 hp w/850 carb. He seems to think he can make mine work fine. Thanks for the input, Tom

Hey Tom, yeah I believe Mr. Corbett can see fuel flowing through carburetors. Amazing isn`t he. Lol! It looks like you`ve got a lot more done on there. Next week the shortblock, eh?

Yes the short block. I'm installing the brakes and swaybar right now, waiting on some paint to dry. Its raining so it is a good excuse to work on the cuda instead of the yard. There is a god.

Got some more done today. Front end is almost ready to sit back down on the ground.

engine bay 067.JPE

engine bay 068.JPE

engine bay 069.JPE

engine bay 070.JPE

Im one more step closer to bringing this little Cuda back to life. And boy it will be fun! I was hopeing to have it ready this summer. I wanted to cruise around with that factory air going. This ought to make a neet cruiser. I put big block torsion bars w/the ofset bushings. I got a buddy that is a real good frontend guy, he really understands how these front ends work. I hope this package works good together. Factory power steering and power disc brakes. Waiting on a couple of small parts to be able to finish the drive train up. Thought Id post this, I enjoy reading what other members are doing with their mopars.

engine bay 073.JPE

engine bay 074.JPE

I finally made some more headway on my 408. Had some time this week and Longone came over and helped me get some work done. Got the A/C stuff back under the dash and the steering column back in.

engine bay 077.JPE

engine bay 075.JPE

engine bay 076.JPE

engine bay 079.JPE

engine bay 080.JPE

engine bay 083.JPE

Im one more step closer to bringing this little Cuda back to life. And boy it will be fun! I was hopeing to have it ready this summer. I wanted to cruise around with that factory air going. This ought to make a neet cruiser. I put big block torsion bars w/the ofset bushings. I got a buddy that is a real good frontend guy, he really understands how these front ends work. I hope this package works good together. Factory power steering and power disc brakes. Waiting on a couple of small parts to be able to finish the drive train up. Thought Id post this, I enjoy reading what other members are doing with their mopars.

What brand crank and pistons you using?

I'm using a eagle crank and rods with ross pistons. With a set of indy heads they are the J heads that they put the 202s in w/ hardend seats. I bought the cam from them and they set up the springs. The cam is comp #xs274s10 solid lift w/H.S. roller rockers. Hope it does allright i'll find out soon. Thanks For the comments.

Looking nice. That motor should be a terror. Hopefully, that carb does not start up lean. That would not be good. Good luck witht he rest of the build. Nice color too.

Hi! I,m running a 750 holley with vac.sec. my cam is a comp XE284h.My carb. buddy drilled small holes in the secondary plates.She idles fine.Stroked 340(372)450 hp.Good luck with the car.nice work..

-
Back