Building a model Scamp

-
Making a little progress. Got the Dart kit parts out and primed them. Still need to fill and prime the body. I'm gonna need to modify the dart kit slightly. It came with two interior bases.

Gotta cut the rear seat section with the package tray from one and switch it onto the other one because I'm using the one without the center console. Hope it's not too tricky. After that I can start painting the parts.

primers.jpg

So did that dart model work or should you of used the 71 duster kit? I got a resin 72 demon that I'm trying to make as correct as possible as far as interior and all that but I was baking the black paint on and let it sit a little to long so its a little messed up but its not to noticeable. Cant wait to see some more, what are you going to do for your interior?

since they are not chrome bumpers and what not.

have you thought about a chrome leaf? like gold leaf paper that you dab onto your piece and will leave the material behind.

seems like you could do that with the chrome material and make your bumpers appear asthough they are chrome.

too cool, I love model cars.

I need to get a duster one some time, thing is...I have a tough enough time building the actual car HAHA

More progress. Ok so the dash and interior of the '68 dart is a little different from the Scamp.

I painted the dash to try to make it look like the Duster/Scamp as close as possible. Had to use a TINY paint brush!!! I still need to paint the woodgrain on the door panels.

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 222
So did that dart model work or should you of used the 71 duster kit? I got a resin 72 demon that I'm trying to make as correct as possible as far as interior and all that but I was baking the black paint on and let it sit a little to long so its a little messed up but its not to noticeable. Cant wait to see some more, what are you going to do for your interior?

The guy who sells the Scamp says the dart kit will work. I think the Dart is longer than the Duster?? The windows are different too. I wanted to have my interior match as close as possible but might go with buckets instead of a bench. Would be cool to see yours too!

since they are not chrome bumpers and what not.

have you thought about a chrome leaf? like gold leaf paper that you dab onto your piece and will leave the material behind.

seems like you could do that with the chrome material and make your bumpers appear asthough they are chrome.

too cool, I love model cars.

I need to get a duster one some time, thing is...I have a tough enough time building the actual car HAHA

Nope where do you get that? Sweet, I started a Duster but just have the body painted a lime green metallic.

I used to build models a lot, got really detailed with them, some of mine took six months or longer, i did the fuel lines, brake lines, and all that good stuff haha Till I got a real car haha I used to use a chrome foil that I bought at my local hobby shop, u burnish it onto the parts and the results are practically as good as if it was plated, its good for the chrome moldings on the car too.. I used it for tons of things, door handles, dashes, bumpers, grills, everything, its called Bare-Metal. Just google the name and you can find examples of it..

I used to build models a lot, got really detailed with them, some of mine took six months or longer, i did the fuel lines, brake lines, and all that good stuff haha Till I got a real car haha I used to use a chrome foil that I bought at my local hobby shop, u burnish it onto the parts and the results are practically as good as if it was plated, its good for the chrome moldings on the car too.. I used it for tons of things, door handles, dashes, bumpers, grills, everything, its called Bare-Metal. Just google the name and you can find examples of it..

Sweet. Yeah I know what you're talking about now. I've seen it before but never used it.

Heres one of the drag strip displays I did a while back. I'm thinking about making a few more when I have free time. I've sold a few in the past.

Attachments

• dragsrtip.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 201
Got some of the Bare Metal chrome for the resin bumpers. Was surprised how well it conforms to curves. It's not perfect but worked out. Just have the front bumper done so far.

Attachments

• resinfrontbumper.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 165
  • frontbumperchrome.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 172
The body ( cowl-to-rear ) is based upon the Revell 1969 Dart GTS 383 ; the fenders and hood are based upon the AMT 1971 Duster 340 .

Oddly , the 1972 & later "universal" side marker lamps were added to the quarter panels ; yet , the front fenders were left with their 1970-1971 side markers (?) .

I've long been wanting to build a Scamp , using the Bandit Resin kit , but have been holding out for the simple reason that I could not bring myself to use the incorrect interior ( Revell 1968 and-or 1969 GTS ) !

What are your plans colour-wise ? ( maybe you already mentioned it , but at 04:35 , I'm too tired to recall what you said ... ) .

Didn't notice that. I was shaving and filling the side markers to match my car. Yeah the interior was the main drawback.

I modified and painted the dart interior to look as close as possible. Might end up doing buckets. The interior is painted green with woodgrain. Will post more pics. The body will have the same color paint as my car too.

Outstanding work going on here,
keep up the build and thank you for sharing 72Plymouth =P~ :happy10:

Yeah that bumper came out really good. That was one of my favorite tools when I did model building.

Thanks. Yup that stuff is pretty sweet. Will find more ways to use it. I was thinking about covering the gas tank with it.

Here are the door panels. I painted over the GTS emblem on the panel to try to hide it.

Attachments

• doorpanels.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 156
Looking good.

I have been trying to land an AMT 1975 Duster on Ebay (for cheap) for a while now thinking that the dash board might have the proper rectangular speedometer.

I am trying to replicate my 72 Duster in small scale this winter.

Keep up the good work on your Scamp...

Paul

P.S.... as an FYI there is a guy on Ebay who sells a 1/25th scale factory standard 1970 Duster/Scamp grille...for anyone interested in just the grille. I have no association with him and have not seen it in person. (See item # 230564790373)

More progress. Ok so the dash and interior of the '68 dart is a little different from the Scamp.

I painted the dash to try to make it look like the Duster/Scamp as close as possible. Had to use a TINY paint brush!!! I still need to paint the woodgrain on the door panels.

Two 66 Darts, One pro street and one R/C.

Attachments

• Model 005.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 107
-
Back