Building a strong street/strip 727

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
I recently had a trans failure in my dart. I have a cheetah forward pattern manual valve body and 4500 stall dynamic converter. Other then those two parts it was a stock rebuild. I have $1500 to purchase new parts. What would you guys use to build the ultimate street/ strip trans?

..........bolt in sprag, Kevlar bands,hd band anchors, alto clutches, upgraded pump gears, super servo' s and accumulator plus an explosion proof front drum and a premium seal kit.................kim........

..........bolt in sprag, Kevlar bands,hd band anchors, alto clutches, upgraded pump gears, super servo' s and accumulator plus an explosion proof front drum and a premium seal kit.................kim........

When you say super servos. Do you mean the billet alum. Ones? Billet steel drum? Or alum.?

BIG cooler; think B&M supercooler 11x11x1.5" go from there.

A matching cooling fan attached,helps.. My heavy weight Chevy rat, with a 4800 inefficient stall appreciated that. Add a trans fluid temp gauge, you're golden.

Just got off the phone with CPT.......

my wallet is lighter now. here is my lift of parts

new reverse pattern manual valve body

billet servos

4.2 ratio lever

billet steel drum loaded with new springs, steels and red cluches

new red lined bands

bolt in sprag

billet accumulator

heavy duty band anchor

high performance seal/filter kit.

I heard the valve bodies that free wheel in first (like mine), are more likely to have failure.

Copes VB's have rear ban apply anyway, I think you will find.
The bolt in sprag and billet accumulator, you could have done without, unless the sprag was trashed.

What 'failed' on the last unit?

2nd gear band is trash. it will go into 2nd gear if im coasting and shift it but if im on the throttle and hit the 1-2 shift it wont shift into 2nd. I will be going with a reverse pattern manual valve body and upgrade pretty much every moving part in the trans.

next question?

is a 4 gear planetary mandatory for 600hp street strip?

Just got off the phone with CPT.......

my wallet is lighter now. here is my lift of parts

new reverse pattern manual valve body

billet servos

4.2 ratio lever

billet steel drum loaded with new springs, steels and red cluches

new red lined bands

bolt in sprag

billet accumulator

heavy duty band anchor

high performance seal/filter kit.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it for all of that?

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it for all of that?

$1300 ish. Honestly not too excited about the reverse pattern valve body. That's gonna take some getting used to. I want the added holding power and line pressure though. The guy at CPT. Was very patient with me and some of the stuff is overkill and he told me that but I just figure, do it once. Do it all the way. I have started my next engine build and it's gonna be a monster.

$1300 ish. Honestly not too excited about the reverse pattern valve body. That's gonna take some getting used to. I want the added holding power and line pressure though. The guy at CPT. Was very patient with me and some of the stuff is overkill and he told me that but I just figure, do it once. Do it all the way. I have started my next engine build and it's gonna be a monster.

More regrets on taking short cuts or cheaper decisions than building it bullet proof. You've probably seen the catastrophic failures associated with Sprag over run and planet explosion.... Not something you want to experience!

Yeah careful with the reverse vb I switched from a forward also . Was going on a speed run right after I switched and went the wrong way. 2nd to 1st at 60+ mph. Bad news. Wasn't pretty...

-
Back