Building a strong street/strip 727

-
Why go reverse pattern then? Why not just stick to regular forward pattern, and even keep the auto upshift function?

$1300 ish. Honestly not too excited about the reverse pattern valve body. That's gonna take some getting used to. I want the added holding power and line pressure though. The guy at CPT. Was very patient with me and some of the stuff is overkill and he told me that but I just figure, do it once. Do it all the way. I have started my next engine build and it's gonna be a monster.

No doubt. Build it once! So why is a reverse pattern different than a forward pattern in terms of line pressure and holding power?

No doubt. Build it once! So why is a reverse pattern different than a forward pattern in terms of line pressure and holding power?

i was told that my cheetah forward pattern manual valve body was "tricking" the transmission to achieve manual shift control. He informed me that it was basically a stock valve body with a shift kit. He told me that the reverse pattern valve body has a drastically increased line pressure thus increasing my holding power.

Biggest (and best) difference between forward and reverse pattern is clutch/band overlap during shifts. Reverse pattern valve body is much "cleaner" shifting and always quicker. As with any manual valve body, shifter adjustment is crucial and should be part of routine checks, you can smoke a 3k trans in one weekend with a mis-adjusted shifter

Biggest (and best) difference between forward and reverse pattern is clutch/band overlap during shifts. Reverse pattern valve body is much "cleaner" shifting and always quicker.
Really,,,Why?
Is a Reverse VB going to solve the problem of not enough release springs in the direct clutch pack over a Forward VB?? or is just a case of overkill trendy transmission parts?
Question is, when does a Reverse manual VB truly become essential ?

It is not essential, at most levels, however it has proven to be quicker (reverse pattern) on torqueflite's for decades. Its definitely not trendy! The way that it totally gets rid of overlap is quite simple, since there is no needfor auto shifting, several circuits of the valve body can become eliminated, and line to clutch circuits much larger and more efficient(better exhaust through the circuits).Bottom line, in a race car they're quicker, this has been proven over and over, no myth.

-
Back