Building a temp paint booth

-

72ScampTramp

Scamp Tramp
Reaction score
Anyone built a temporary paint booth in your garage? Thinking about doing it just curious as to ideas others have had.

Yeah, I thought about it, just stapling up some plastic, adding some fans and running a DIY fresh air setup, and letting it rip.

Visqueen,is the answer here... Run it,to the floor.& watchdog the humidity, before you shoot. Washing the floor,drives ths humidity up. (Kills the dust....). Depend's here: shooting single stage,or base clear...

Shooting BC/CC. Thinking either hanging plastic around from the ceiling or frame out of pvc and plastic. Couple of filters at the front and a few box fans at the rear i believe thats a down draft right?

Shooting BC/CC. Thinking either hanging plastic around from the ceiling or frame out of pvc and plastic. Couple of filters at the front and a few box fans at the rear i believe thats a down draft right?

No on any filters, the paint can burn back in..... M.P.O....

I do this regularly. I buy thin plastic from home depot, comes in a box. it is 12ftx200 roll, does the whole garage several times.

My process:
1. Take out unnecessary items
2. Use compressed air to blow off everything including the garage door
3. Sweep and blow again
4. wet the floor and using a floor squeegee push the water out
5. Close up the garage and staple plastic fto ceiling/joist. I tape the plastic to the floor. I try to snake the plastic behind the garage door tracks so I can open and close the door if needed.
6. Put a separate piece on the inside of the garage door (gorilla tape)
7. I leave the man door open while I shoot (wet down surrounding area)I run a freestanding high velocity fan for exhaust. This is not an explosion proof booth fan, but i haven't exploded yet.
8. I wear a $30 3M Organic Vapor respirator, and replace the carts about once a year
http://amzn.com/B00004Z4EB

We built a frame and put furnace filters under the partially close garage door, then dropped tarps on cardboard tubes from the ceiling. This isolated one bay and there is a shuttered fan in the back wall, to send the bad stuff out. Gotta work on something to catch the crap going outside , IF we're gonna paint often.

I guess i assumed that i needed a way to allow fresh filtered air in and something to pull the fumes out

ideally yes, but you increase potential for dust in your paint.

at a friends house I used a wet swamp cooler filter over the garage window and put a fan on a ladder outside to blow in fresh air

but doing it with just the man door open has been fine as long as the plastic is secured well.

I'm going to try to paint my hood here in a couple of days. I have the plastic rolls. Like someone said, blow the floor clean, then sweep and do whole thing over again. I don't think you can ever get it too clean. I will do all that before the plastic, then do the inside of the plastic room again for good measure. I've tried to keep the dust down from sanding and blocking everything. I might just start the car and move it out of the garage and get more of the junk. Matter of fact, that's what I will do. Did anyone take pictures of their set-up?

Use a couple of fans on low to blow in filtered air, not suck out air with paint fumes. Done right this will make a semi postive pressure booth and not suck in any unfiltered air from every nook and cranny. This will help get a cleaner paint job. Most of the trash that gets in paint jobs comes from the car itself, you and the hose. Time spent cleaning, blowing, blowing and blowing the car again and tacking, then blowing, tacking 2 -3 more times is well spent. I sometimes tack a car 10 times before ever starting.

If I was painting a lot, then I would go with that PVC pipe set-up. But this is going to be my only time spraying, I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something I will only use once. I think hanging plastic alone should be ok.

you've all seen DEXTER right?

AlexTildenKillRoomHouse3.jpg

Make sure you don't have any pilot lights lit on hot water heaters or furnaces that might be in your garage area.

Getting ready to spray the hood. Cleaned by blowing dirt as much as I can, about five times before the plastic. Then about three times since the plastic. Going to wipe down the hose with solvent on a rag, then tack rag it. Old rag I won't use on hood of course. Then I have tyvek suit I will wear. Will it work? I have no idea. If it don't, then I don't know what else I can do. I have it separated from the rest of the garage as I can at the moment. I have three fans to pull the fumes out. There is a possibility of a flash, but I don't think the fumes will ever get that heavy. Ok, look at the pictures. I'll post up of the hood after I'm done. Well, as far as crud and dirt is concerned, it came out pretty good. However, I screwed up on the mix ration, again. I have solvent pop because of it. I'll wait for it to fully cure, sand it till the pops are gone and reshoot. Hopefully I can pull my head outa my....you know what and get the fricking ratio right. I know what it is, just have a case of the stupids when I don't need to.

Attachments

• May 11, 2014 paint booth.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 109
  • May 11, 2014 paint booth 2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 109
  • May 11, 2014 paint booth 3.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 76
-
Back