Building an AMT '69 Barracuda model, need some help

-

65s

Reaction score
Someone bought me a really nice AMT black '69 Barracuda model. I want to build it with my 5 year old son for something to do.

I haven't built a model in about 30 years! What do I do?

What kind of glue do I buy? What kind of paint? (Testors I believe). What do I do first, take all the parts off the sprus? Should I paint the parts first then glue them together? Any tips?

Thanks.
Neil.

It sounds like a great project to do with your son. Testors has the glue too. I haven't done one in ages. I always painted the parts before detaching them. You might need a small paint brush to touch up where the tabs attach afterwards. Don't overuse the plastic glue it can soften parts. Also best to keep paint off of, or scrape it off glue contact points.

Hobby shops, and even Walmart should have the model paint & plastic cement.

Hope that helps a bit.

lil' projects at a time,he'll be six when it's done =) by age 11 he'll be up in your grille a bout helping build real cars and talking about "His" 340 duster
(the 72 in primer)And driving you around the neigborhood on your lap in your 340 duster!!!!I'll post more pic's of his duster soon

I do like the book says!! most of them want you to build the motor first.8)
I scrape back the chromed areas where the glue will go, I use a tooth pick to apply the glue. And I leave all parts where they are until it is time to paint and put them together, Then do like Woodys Cuda said scape off the paint where you glue together.
Chassis can be harder to locate in the right location.
They have a glue that has no harmful vapors, I like the fast dry for some area's of the car. Pick up a builder's kit and one tub of fast dry clue for some area's that will dry quicker for you.
I keep the body in a zip lock baggy so when it come time to paint there is no oils or prints on it, I still wash the bodie before painting.

Take your time and enjoy each step. Some time's I will do one step a night
here is my last one I built this winter for therapy
Your son will be happy to see you set him a chair next to you and having a great time doing this together, Have fun dad :thumbrig:

LIFE 428.jpg

As you can see I did all the stickers then clear coated the body.
I did not paint the body, I like this willys in white

LIFE 423.jpg

Cool! Good tips, just what I needed. Should I spray the body?

I think I'll make a list of stuff we need then go shopping at a hobby store with him, he'll freak when he sees all the stuff.

And he's already helped me with the real Barracuda in the garage, I'm trying to brainwash him early.

Seems to me its getting over complicated for a 5 yr old. You might consider some generic models for his "hands on" experience. Once he can read there are books on model building techniques. My very first model (Batmobile) at age 7 , turned out horrible. By the age of 12 cousins and I were competing. We used the oven burner to create body damage and primer spots, rolled rubber tires in brown paint then on tissue to leave dirt look in their treads.
I guess I'm saying dont take all the fun out of it from the start. Exacto knife detailing will come with experience.

I promised I'd get back to you. My advice is to stash away the Barracuda and start with something easy, such as a quick-builder type kit. AMT had a nice bunch of pre-painted kits on the market that are hard to beat for the money. They have a REALLY nice `65 Coronet kit that would get the both of you into the swing of things. Everything is painted already (with amazing detail and crispness for the money) But if you must roll your own....

Mike gave good advice on using the glue SPARINGLY! Your not assembling the space shuttle. A dab will do. You don't need to run a bead of glue like your welding a tanker together. Scrape chrome & paint from surfaces that are to be joined. Me personally assemble chunks then paint, such as engine blocks...transmissions...etc. Makes for a cleaner build. I also recommend spraying bigger pieces and leaving the bottle paint for really small pieces and touch-up work. Plain old Krylon works great for models. Odds-n-Ends brand paint is good too with some nice colors availiable. Just make sure you wash the bigger parts to remove the mold release agents they use in the molds. Otherwise you run the risk of fish-eyes in the paint finish. If the plastic is molded in red or yellow I suggest thats the color you paint the car. It will bleed through unless you seal it, which is getting WAY ahead of your plans for a simple build.

As for glue, I'd keep away from the tube cement. It sucks.... I use tenax or Zap-Gap, which is basically Crazy Glue. The Tenax is good for tight seems, the Zap-Gap for loose seems. And NEVER use crazy glue on chrome or clear parts. They'll fog REAL bad. I use 2 part epoxy for these assemblies. While this sounds like alot of work, the results will encourage you instead of frustrate you.

Most important, have fun! Model building can be a great way to teach patience and motor-skills. Something that can't be taught with a video game.

amysvw-vi.jpg
imperial-vi.jpg
tuner1-vi.jpg
lilgreen1-vi.jpg
vwvan-vi.jpg
dixie-vi.jpg

Wow is right, nice cars!

Well we just jumped right into this car and it's great fun. I'm not going to take it too seriously, it's a $10 model and the glue and paints/brushes were another $20 maybe. Not a big deal really in the big scope.

I think my son is having a great time with me, his Dad, building this thing. Of course I have to do most of the work, but he really enjoys painting the parts. He decided the inside had to be red, just like our car.

My 3 year old daughter likes painting the parts too, but she's pretty messy! Tonight she spilled a jar of paint..I was so frustrated. Anyhow, it's turning out good. I think it's great for my son to learn how to sit still and focus, he's very energetic otherwise. It's a good father/son bonding thing.

Also, if he gets into trouble at school or whatever I can use the model building as a consequence...."No model building tonight buddy, sorry...consequence for pulling that girls hair at school today" or whatever.

Here's a shot of our progress. I wrapped his little air hockey table in paper and we're using that as a workbench. I put all the paints and stuff in a tupperware container which I take away when we're not using it.

Resize of IMG_0328.JPG

Oh ya, I really appreciate the tips. I just bought the cheap glue but sprung for some nicer brushes...but they're all messed up already. If we continue with this I will buy better glue and brushes, but the kids need to be a little older.

A friend told me to let my son have the car when we're done and let him do whatever he wants with it. We figure he'll destroy it then the next car he will likely want to take better care of. If he's like me, he'll want to put firecrackers in them and see how good the glue really holds!

Looking good dad. :thumbrig:
I would keep it and let him start his collection early.
Sounds like you are a great father 65s. :notworth:
I bet he can point out the carb and all parts on your car.
It would be cool to see a 5 year old tell your friends and people at car shows what motor ,cam, carb numbers and gears you are running.:-D
or just walk him around a car show and here him say, Hay look dad he has
disc brakes on that 63 valiant and running an 8 1/4 rear end. :cheers:
Got to love them young'ens. :wav:

-
Back