building dana 60 and confused.....

-

03ramit1

Reaction score
I am building a dana, and it was narrowed some so when I got my moser axles, they came with green berrings already installed (by the shop that narrowed the housing) so I drop the axles into the houshing and get looking at the bearrings and the retaining plate, and I'm surprised that the little tiny wrap ring is all that holds the axle shaft in the housing. I am concerned that it's not enough. (keep in mind all my axle building experiance up to this point has been on big stuff like 2.5 ton rockwells and larger so this is new to me being such a light duty axle) will that litttle wrap ring really hold up to the side loading that it will see? I would think it would just shear off and pose no resistance to movement. Need everyones thoughts here thanks.

The retaining plate does the job. Snap ring isn't an issue.

thanks man. I'm just not used to messing with this small of an axle. I know it's bullet proof for my car, it's just not what I'm used to. So I gotta ask questions. Thanks a bunch.

Yeah you should see the force it takes to get that bearing on the axle. That's what holds the axle.

Actually these CAN break. I don't remember the class rules, anymore, but some classes in the old NHRA (and I'm sure other) rules used to call for a safety retainer (basicaly hooks around the edge of the drum, hooked to the axle) to retain it if one broke, etc.

Even though that retainer plate looks thin, it is light years stronger than clip retainers, and those don't fail (at least on stockers) very often.

I HAVE seen stuff come apart at the strip, now n' agin.

yeah I might fab some sort of retiner into a new flange just to make sure they don't fail. I tend to overbuild everything.

-
Back