Building my 440 Duster

-

Badart

Reaction score
Finally got enough parts to start on this build. I have already pulled the slant 6, tranny, rearend, springs and K member. My plans are building a 440 pro-street car. I have the 440, 727 and 9" rear (I Know, I had it laying around). Does the second picture look safe? Don't worry that dolly is very strong and is temporarily welded to the sub-frame connectors. I am also building stands for the front and back. It is just much easier than laying on your back trying to weld up a 4-link, run brake and fuel lines, wiring and patch the lower body panels under jack stands.

2-16-09 50%.jpg

Duster on stand.jpg

12X15 American Racing Trackstar SS and the tires are BFG Drag Radial 325/50/15. They will barely clear the frame rail and the fender with about an inch to spare on each side once I do the tubs.

Looks like a really nice project! I would throw a couple tie down straps on the rolling cart and also the front and rear stands to be safe. Keep the pics coming with the progress updates.

It is getting 3.89 Auburn gears and a detroit locker. The 9" is the big bearing and the axles will be sent out to be narrowed, resplined and machined for the 4 1/2" bolt pattern. I will be narrowing the housing myself. I also have disc brakes that bolt up from an explorer.

Gears and locker.jpg

I am looking foward to seeing pictures of this one coming together ! Good luck on your build.

Thanks for the support. I will be starting on the tubs in a few days. I don't get much time to work on it throughout the week. I am figuring it will take me a few years to complete. I want to do it right.

I recognize that car. Looks like fun. Look forward to seeing it around. What colors are you planing to use?

Well I have started my first installation of tubs. Got these steel tubs on sale from Summit for the meats going on the back. So far so good. I am just taking my time with the expectation to have a really clean build. I have completely removed the inner fender and plan to use windshield adhesive to fill the 1/4" gap left between outside lip of the tub and the inside of the rear quarter. I have read that this is the proper way to do this. Is this the best way to seal this up without warping the corner?
I have also started to fabricate my crossmember to mount the 4-link. I will have pics of it as soon as I finish the tubs.

Tubs.jpg

Tubs Driver.jpg

Tubs Driver Back.jpg

Well the tubs are finally in. What a pain. I think that they turned out pretty good and will allow enough clearance for my tires. I still need to clean up the welds. I am planning on riviting in rubber weatherstripping to fill in the gaps to the outer fenders. Bending up some stainless to cover the trunk hinge brackets to dress it up a little.
My next project is mocking up the 4-link and the rear to have it narrowed. More updates coming soon.

trunk tubs.jpg

Front tubs.jpg

-
Back