BuildSheet VS. Fendertag

-

UPSTATE340

Reaction score
I know mopar did some strange things in teh factory back in the day so I'm not surprised. I have a build sheet and a fender tag, fender tag has a code that isn't on the build sheet. Fender tag also has a code that differs from the build sheet. Any insight as to what would be a greater indication of original options?

Thanks,

I know mopar did some strange things in teh factory back in the day so I'm not surprised. I have a build sheet and a fender tag, fender tag has a code that isn't on the build sheet. Fender tag also has a code that differs from the build sheet. Any insight as to what would be a greater indication of original options?

Thanks,

What exactly is the difference or missing/added codes. Do you have pictures of both?

They're related to heater and wipers. Not sure which is which, i dont have them in front of me but I just happened to think about it. Everything else matches.

The heater won't likely be on the tag unless it's an AC car or the rear window deforgger.

Wipers won't show on tag unless it had the 3 speed wiper upgrade.

Just checked and I have the code for 3 speed wipers on the tag not on the build sheet. Not sure what's correct.

The Buildsheet has more info on it than the fender tag.Not all options are on the fender tag. Jim

Yea, but there's an extra on the fender tag that's not on the build. It's backwards. The wiper option shows up on the fender tag and nothing on the build sheet. And my heater options contradict each other.

I have living proof that Mopar did things like this to build sheets and fender tags, my 70 sport Satellite has on the build sheet that the car was equipped with deluxe seatbelts, having the dash warning light for seatbelts (between the column and the ash tray, simular to the "reverse" lights used on manual transmission E-body's) but my fendertag never got coded for it and my car did not get them......Weird! But things happen I guess.......

Do the broadcast sheet & the fender tag have the same VIN on them? It is common to find a broadcast sheet for a different car.

What is your "Heater" option?

They only came with a heater, without (I think) or with AC. IF the car came without or with AC you can tell just by looking at the firewall. Not very likely the firewall would have ever been changed.

I would only worry about the wiper if you are building a 100 point car (even then I probably wouldn't care).

Remember that the build sheet is what was used to make the data tag and they were both made when they started the assembly process.
Take the wipers, if it was suppossed to get the standard wipers, somebody could have mistakingly installed a 3 speed harness and wipers in the car or they might have emptied the bin of 2 speed stuff and installed the 3 speed rather than shut the line down waiting for 2 speed stuff.
I have seen cars that were coded for the 198 /6 and they came thru with the 225. Same deal.
I also have seen Valiants with the standard door panels on one side and the deluxe ones on the other.
Never say never and never say always.
And I have heard of cars that were supposed to be stripper models that were run thru the paint booth more than once and had a show car finish on them and every option in the book, but the Monroney Lable showed a plain Jane car. It was usually built for 1 of the line workers who had a bunch of friends that worked in the right places. He paid for a stripped Valiant 4 door /6 3-on -the tree and got a 340 auto with A/C, PS, PDB Light Package etc.

I have living proof that Mopar did things like this to build sheets and fender tags, my 70 sport Satellite has on the build sheet that the car was equipped with deluxe seatbelts, having the dash warning light for seatbelts (between the column and the ash tray, simular to the "reverse" lights used on manual transmission E-body's) but my fendertag never got coded for it and my car did not get them......Weird! But things happen I guess.......

The old mans 71 was ordered with front disc,came with drum.Still had disc on the build sheet.They used whatever was available at the time.

Chrysler did do some strange things,and none of its set in stone for sure.

For those of us without a build sheet, there are also difference between the build card (IBM card), and the fender tag.

Thanks for all the replies so far. It does look like mopar has done some strange things when it comes to options. I guess I'm still a little confused though as to what is more likely to be original to the car, I just wanna build it like it was if possible.

Just looked at the fender tag closer.

It really looks it has H25, but its after M21, so I'm assuming it is N25.

This code doesn't show up on the build sheet though, is it possible that it still came with the engine block heater?

Or is it more likely M25 which does show up on my build sheet and the fender tag just got mispunched?

Anyone have an idea? Were block heaters or wide sills something that would have showed up on the fender tag?

-
Back