Bulkhead Wire Fix

-

RogerK

Reaction score
OK, first off. I know you can purchase new terminals to make repairs to a bulkhead connector, but what if its 10:00 PM, you're working on the car and a wire breaks off. They can be repaired if you have the tools, some patience and some tough fingers.

These terminals have 50 years of corrosion on them and the wires get brittle over time. I clean them up with the wire wheel first, then I pry open the crimp at the end of the terminal that clamps the insulation and pull the wire out. Its a lot of work to open the crimp on the wire but if you can, do it.

After cleaning the inside as best as possible its time to solder. Flatten the stripped wires along the inside of the terminal and close the open crimp with needle nose pliers just enough to hold it in place. Solder the wire in place, add shrink tube and install back into its connector.

Its a little tight but it fits. I tug at the terminal with the needle nose to pull it into place.

Ta Da, fixed connector. :burnout:

Attachments

• Connector (1).jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Connector (2).jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 205
  • Connector (3).jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 229
  • Connector (4).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Connector (5).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 236
  • Connector (6).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Connector (7).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 211
  • Connector (8).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Connector (9).jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 196
Vibration will be your enemy.

Over time the solder may vibrate loose and cause issues, but the intent is to make a decent temp repair that will get you through until you can purchase new terminals to refurbish all the connectors in the bulkhead.

That is a pretty nice temp repair! A lotta guys I know wouldn't do that good and would never look at it again ('til it broke again)....

-
Back