"Bullet nose" harmonic balancer questions.

-

OriginalDart

Reaction score
My block is a 78 440 from a van/rv . I pulled a build sheet from hotrod.com and am going for 5-550 horsepower. It's a budget build so my bottom end is stock with the exception of some kb hyperuetech pistols and a comp cams xe285hl cam. Im ready to reinstall the balancer and my questions are:
Is the stock "Bullet nose" (external balance) harmonic balancer capable of handling that power?

If not, what brand of balancers should I be looking for? I'd rather go for quality over price.

Thanks for the help mopar family.

balancer does one thing, dampen harmonics (and balance an external balanced motor, oops, thats 2) I would inspect the rubber and thats about all you could do. Plenty of good SFI balancers out there, but not many have the counter mass to balance a cast crank external balanced motor. You are going to rebalance with those lighter pistons so you could internally balance and run any aftermarket damper but be careful, going to a neutral balancer will require some serious tungsten in the crank to balance it out.

Last edited:
U can sorta use the 400 dampener if u don't want ur 440 crank to last. There is a reason the 440 balancer is that thuck. Kim

-
Back