Bullitt wheel information

-

1973dust

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this all in one place for those that might be considering using these wheels. I realize the look is not for everyone. I actually prefer the deeper dish of the older mags myself but, for the money, I think these worked out pretty well. They are factory 17 x 8 Ford wheels off of a 2005 Mustang. These are 45mm offset which is 6.272" backspacing. The factory 2004 and earlier wheels are also 17 x 8 but are only 30mm offset 5.681 backspacing. Unfortunately, the early and late wheels do not look exactly the same. For my application, the shallower backspace was not going to be enough for the rear even though it works better on the front. I list the car specs below to try to make this as easy to read as possible. You will have to open up the center bore of the wheels slightly to fit a Mopar hub. Even though I am a machinist by trade and have access to the proper equipment, I ended up carefully sanding the center bore with a Dremel sanding roll. I was afraid of damaging the pretty side of the wheels if I attempted to set them up at work to bore them. I also found that the Gorilla brand lug nuts pictured work well with the Bullitt wheels.

Rear Axle - Factory big-bolt 7 1/4" with 1.75" bolt-on spacer on each side. This will be replaced with an 8 1/4" from a 93 Cherokee which will give me a full 2" per side over the factory axle with no spacers
used. The Cherokee axle is the reason I needed to use the wheels with the deeper backspace. I currently have 7/16 - 1/2" clearance to the leaf springs and at least 3/4" to the quarter lips with
235/55 R17 tires. When I need new tires in a few years, I will go with a 255 which will fit the 8" rims and should clear everywhere with the additional 1/4" of width per side the Cherokee axle
gives me. Pic below of the 610-475 Dorman wheel studs I'm using on the Jeep axle compared to the factory stud.

Front - Factory 10 7/8" disc rotors with Moroso 46180 3" wheel studs and .672" thick aluminum spacers. This gives approximately 1/8" clearance from the outer tie-rod ends to the back side of the wheels.
I did have to remove the upper ball-joint zerks and plug the holes with 1/4-28 set screws as the zerk would hit the inside of the wheel which is apparently fairly common with 17's. I am not totally thrilled about using spacers that large but, after a lot of on-line searching, use of them is fairly common with late-model Mustangs and others. I have driven the car several hundred miles so far and have not been babying it and have had no issues. No vibrations of any kind and I have checked the lugs several times with no loosening found. I did make the spacers so the stud holes are a very snug fit on the wheel studs and a snug fit on the hub of the rotor. My thinking is that the spacer will almost act as a "stud girdle" such as those used on the bottom end of some engines. I did not have to shorten the 3" studs any although you would have to if using the shallower backspace wheels. I will say that Moroso says to not use the studs with spacers. Again, after much online searching, I decided that they are just covering their tails so use at your own risk. I was not happy that the knurl portion of the Moroso studs was not nearly as long as that of the factory studs. To me, if lugs were to loosen, that could allow the studs to move side to side in the hub holes. I purchased 10 grade 8 1/2-20 jam nuts and turned them to a press-fit in the hub for half their thickness. After pressing the long studs into the hubs, I used those modified nuts to provide outer support for the wheel studs. I counterbored the back side of the aluminum spacers to clear the hex nuts. I currently have 215/55 R17 tires on the front that probably only have about a third of their tread left which helps as they are a pretty tall tire for a Duster at 26.3" new by the numbers. When I need new tires, I will probably go with a 225/50 R17 which is a little shorter. Even though the 215/55's are a little tall, I have had no problems with rubbing even though I have not been babying it. Probably due to them being fairly narrow. I also have 1.03 torsion bars, Bilstein RCD's, and a 1 1/8" Hell-wig front sway bar with the frontend lowered about 1" from stock.

Any other details I remember, I will add to this post. Feel free to ask questions if needed. I definitely don't know all the answers but I felt it would be helpful to have a lot of this info updated into a newer thread. I really haven't figured any of this out on my own. I just have done a lot of information gathering from different sources. I've received an incredible amount of help from this forum and like to give back if I can.

IMG_0570 (2).jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

20230225_112506.jpg

20230507_153907.jpg

20230507_153945.jpg

20230507_154132.jpg

Looks good, I like it.

Why run the Jeep axle? I run an F-Body 8.25" with an earlier set of 17x8 Mustang wheels with the 30mm offset (5.681BS) and 245/45R17 tires all the way around. I do run a set of slip on Cobra rotors on the front and GC rotors on the rear which is effectively like running a 1/4" (or so) spacer. The front would need a spacer otherwise to keep it off the tie rod end, but don't remember if the rear would be an issue without the rotor.

Not knocking your solution, just curious if the Jeep axle was a necessity.

I am a fan of the +45mm wheels as compared to the +30mm I think they look better for my Volare and Dart.
I have bought both over the years.

You can also get a 68-70 B body rear and or a 65-67 B Body Rear and run those wheels without the spacer, whilist adding rear discs or keeping the Factory drums.
I Machined the hubface on my +45's to get them into my '64 Dart.

Thank you for your write up.

Greg

I'm using the Jeep axle as I was able to purchase it cheap and it already has 3.55 gears. Every F or B axle I found had 2.76 at best which is what I have now in the 7 1/4. You are correct, about an inch less axle width would allow using the +30 all around.

I'm using the Jeep axle as I was able to purchase it cheap and it already has 3.55 gears. Every F or B axle I found had 2.76 at best which is what I have now in the 7 1/4. You are correct, about an inch less axle width would allow using the +30 all around.

Ah, makes sense. I got lucky and found a 3.21 one in a local Pull and Save, but I'm not convinced it isn't bent so maybe not the deal I was hoping for. Definitely need to work with what you can find.

That's exactly what I tried to find for a few years. Something 3.21 or 3.23 as I'm afraid 3.55 might be a little much. The 27" tall rear tires will help some. If I really don't like the extra revs, I think I'll be able to fit 28" tall tires when I have to get new ones.

do the '05 up wheels have a pocket between the lug holes on the back side? the '99 bullits I ran on my 5th avenue did, allowing me to run .75" thick machined 6061-T6 bolt on adapters instead of through adapters like you used. Also, I wonder if you can open up the center register enough with a ridge reamer...this one says it goes from 2 11/16" on up Lisle 2-11/16" to 5-5/16" Cylinder Ridge Reamer

1710847480032.png

1710847558505.png

Last edited:
do the '05 up wheels have a pocket between the lug holes on the back side? the '99 bullits I ran on my 5th avenue did, allowing me to run .75" thick machined 6061-T6 bolt on adapters instead of through adapters like you used. Also, I wonder if you can open up the center register enough with a ridge reamer...this one says it goes from 2 11/16" on up Lisle 2-11/16" to 5-5/16" Cylinder Ridge Reamer

View attachment 1716223682

View attachment 1716223683
Yes they do have the pockets between lugs so that would be an option. I bet the ridge reamer would work great being that the wheels are aluminum and the needed material removal is minimal. That's a really good idea.

-
Back