Bump steer question

-
What should I look for at the rear?

Same thing in the front.......looseness where it should not be. Get a "strong" friend, or if you are, someone else to look. Push it hard side to side and look for flex in the spring mounts, even U bolts and it's even possible you have a broken leaf. If the thing is jacked up excessively such as with air shocks, the excessive spring curvature/ arch causes them to be less stable side-to-side. This can give the effect of a low rear tire or cause you to imagine front end problems.

EVEN TIRE CHOICES between front and rear can make a vehicle behave horribly. I still remember working for a small outfit "back." He had a nearly new heavy half ton Dodge 78? 80?, was getting low on the factory tires. He had me buy two tires, I've forgotten which end. So two pairs of unmatched radials. The freeway is "a bit rough" (tracks worn in the pavement) and that thing was SCARY at any speed over 50. I went to the shop from the tires store and told the boss "that thing is not driveable." He had to buy two more new tires.

Same thing in the front.......looseness where it should not be. Get a "strong" friend, or if you are, someone else to look. Push it hard side to side and look for flex in the spring mounts, even U bolts and it's even possible you have a broken leaf. If the thing is jacked up excessively such as with air shocks, the excessive spring curvature/ arch causes them to be less stable side-to-side. This can give the effect of a low rear tire or cause you to imagine front end problems.

EVEN TIRE CHOICES between front and rear can make a vehicle behave horribly. I still remember working for a small outfit "back." He had a nearly new heavy half ton Dodge 78? 80?, was getting low on the factory tires. He had me buy two tires, I've forgotten which end. So two pairs of unmatched radials. The freeway is "a bit rough" (tracks worn in the pavement) and that thing was SCARY at any speed over 50. I went to the shop from the tires store and told the boss "that thing is not driveable." He had to buy two more new tires.
Thanks I'll get my neighbor to help check rear end do have air shocks but not jacked up just took it back to stock height as springs are saggin new radials front and rear

Thanks I'll get my neighbor to help check rear end do have air shocks but not up just took it back to stock height as sp
You’ve measured the bumpsteer?
No

My point is always back up what you say with substance. If you think its got bump steer, that's fine. Get the tool, learn how to measure and prove or disprove your statements.
If I knew how to do all that I wouldn't have posted asking for help

Last edited:
If I knew how to do all that I wouldn't have posted asking for help
Fair enough. These cars usually don’t have much noticeable bumpsteer.
To do this, you need a bumpsteer tool from Longacre or make one. Disconnect the torsion bar. What your trying to do is measure toe change through the suspension travel. I can help further if you want to do this.

Fair enough. These cars usually don’t have much noticeable bumpsteer.
To do this, you need a bumpsteer tool from Longacre or make one. Disconnect the torsion bar. What your trying to do is measure toe change through the suspension travel. I can help further if you want to do this.
Ya it's probably not bumpsteer as the box is shot need to replace it

-
Back