Bump stop question

-

wicked70496dart

Reaction score
Has anyone used taller bump stop between bump stop pad and the upper A to prevent the front suspension from unloading (dropping down)on the launch? I have done some research on Hemi cars and on the launch the front wheels are still tucked up in the front wheel well. I have Qa1 front control arms and Qa1 front shocks, looking to keep more control of the suspension on the launch. Is there another way to control suspension drop? What do you guys think about taller bump stops keeping front wheels from unloading? Thanks Matt

This an HDK adjustable bump stop. Very simple and inexpensive, small Energy Suspension bump stop, 3/8" threaded thru adapter in the OEM hole.

Nothing new, the 1975 California Flash Modified Production has an OEM suspension including OEM UCAs, It was built and still maintains a similar bump stop designed to limit suspension drop to approx 1". The hole used on this bump stop was drilled in the OEM bracket to fit a little higher / closer to the pivot on the UCA

It appears to me for drag racing , limiting the suspension drop is only advantageous to high HP / big traction cars.....just my observation. The more the HP...the less the travel. Even in 1972, The Mopar Missile (info from Joe Pappas / Missile crew member) ran the car on both UCA / LCA bump stops limiting the travel to just the deflection of the stops. No worries about bump steer....it hardly bumped.

12110.jpeg

Flash_Color_08.jpg

20210302_224142 (2).jpg

Different end of the spectrum, I run taller bumpstops on my car because of the 1.12" torsion bars. Because my car is lowered from stock and the 1.12" bars have a fairly narrow range where they're loaded (they don't twist much with just the weight of the car) I run the taller bumpstop to keep the torsion bar adjusters from unloading at full extension of the suspension. Basically I recenter the range of travel around the new ride height.

Currently I run these Energy Suspension 9.9136G Energy Suspension Bump Stops | Summit Racing , which are 2" tall. The stockers are 1.5".

But yeah, nothing to do with launching the car, so I'm not much help on that end.

There are also straps that you can fashion to limit extension of the suspension.

Plus if made right can be disconnected easily for normal travel

limiting the suspension drop is only advantageous to high HP / big traction cars.
Agree.
Common for the Super Stockers and Pro Stockers of days gone past.
I used them on my Bracket cars and my neighbor has them on his F/SA Duster.
The great team of Sox&Martin had adjustable stops on a SS/B Cuda that I wish I would have taken a photo.
It had cable attachments to the upper a arm with multiple pin settings on the under hood inner fenders to quickly adjust for track conditions.
100_3683.JPG

-
Back