Bump stops?

-

423dak

Reaction score
Full drag set up 72 Dart. Do you guys run the front bump stops? I thought maybe run the lower but not the uppers for more travel and weight transfer. Thoughts?

in the land car we built we removed them as caltracs want 5" of travel

with the uppers out we get 4.5", and its good cuz when it launches you know its fully extended when it bottoms out...

and run the lowers if you want an oil pan, just set off 1/2-1" off them

If you have an oil pan that protrudes below the K member - do not remove the lower bump stops (ask me how i know :() If you remove the upper ones consider installing straps to keep from hyper extending your shocks if you go airborn!

If you have an oil pan that protrudes below the K member - do not remove the lower bump stops (ask me how i know :() If you remove the upper ones consider installing straps to keep from hyper extending your shocks if you go airborn!

well the Caltrac's and CE's shocks havn't had any issue with over extending with no upper...

thanks guys, you firmed up my thoughts. I will check my full extend length. The shock I have are an old fully adjustable set of lakewoods. They were free, so not too worried about them.

here are the bumpers on my dart... dont even use them on the landy car...

i just got a normal bullet shaped one and cut it down

Attachments

• 100_4511.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 421
here are the bumpers on my dart... dont even use them on the landy car...

i just got a normal bullet shaped one and cut it down
Have you gained any 60' times when you cut the upper stop down to were you have it? If so is it worth doing on a 11 second car?

Have you gained any 60' times when you cut the upper stop down to were you have it? If so is it worth doing on a 11 second car?

well it was very necessary with the Norms dart and landy Dart cuz of the Caltracs... i dont think there is a direct 60 ft increase but your gain comes from the increase in traction and MOPAR suspension doing what it is suposed to...

well even my little slant car, was running bad at the track and still got a 1.91 60ft. check out the lift

vid of the landy car to... thats at least an 1.25" lift the front gets from just the upper bumper

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSpC2Nu-gE&feature=channel_video_title"]SS And AFX Landy In The 9's.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

Attachments

• 100_4910.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 360
  • 100_4911.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 380
Looks good and free moving. Good job.

I am finding out I have always thought wrong on this, In the 80s when Nick Scavo was running Worlds fastest street car in his 66 Impala boat he had cable limiting the hang of the front wheels. This was supposedly to throw the unsprung weight on the front end sooner to limit rise and transfer the weight to the rear sooner. What you guys are doing is completely contrare to that. Is it different because his was a 7 second car. Not arguing with you guys just wanting to learn.

I am finding out I have always thought wrong on this, In the 80s when Nick Scavo was running Worlds fastest street car in his 66 Impala boat he had cable limiting the hang of the front wheels. This was supposedly to throw the unsprung weight on the front end sooner to limit rise and transfer the weight to the rear sooner. What you guys are doing is completely contrare to that. Is it different because his was a 7 second car. Not arguing with you guys just wanting to learn.

You beat me to it on the subject. On my stock front suspension 71 BB scamp I removed the upper stops and installed large all thread rods to limit the travel of the front end. And yes this helped plant the rear tires harder and my 60' times improved from 1.45 to 1.39 to 1.40. This also helped from pulling the front end towards the sky.

I got to baby sit a real Sox&Martin 68 SS/B Cuda for two years and it had cable adjustable stops for the upper control arms to allow or limit the movement during lanches from the lights. It had a series of pin holes on a bracket attached to the inner fender to lenghten or shorten the cable.
On my own Dart I went from 1'' to 3'' bumpers to limit the rise. My 60' got better and I turned the red bulb on till I got used to it and change my starting line procedure.

You beat me to it on the subject. On my stock front suspension 71 BB scamp I removed the upper stops and installed large all thread rods to limit the travel of the front end. And yes this helped plant the rear tires harder and my 60' times improved from 1.45 to 1.39 to 1.40. This also helped from pulling the front end towards the sky.
I,m with you.
Upward movement is not forward movement. Seems 60 ft would suffer instead of improve but I will listen to reason.

i will be the first to agree that front end in the air is bad...

but you do need front end lift to transfere weight.

watch any of the SS cars, they hop instead of squat

also with the caltracs they want a minimum of 5" of front end travel...

you can not tell me this thing is wrong...

the front end carries nicely...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNSpC2Nu-gE&feature=channel_video_title"]SS And AFX Landy In The 9's.MOV - YouTube[/ame]

even my dart likes it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xM3OFn8us&feature=channel_video_title"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1xM3OFn8us&feature=channel_video_title[/ame]

This is why I asked. I have heard that the cars with the Alter-k in them don't leave as well do to limitted travel. Maybe this is wrong. Both are believable.

This is why I asked. I have heard that the cars with the Alter-k in them don't leave as well do to limitted travel. Maybe this is wrong. Both are believable.

well there is a point to where travel can be to much...

you watch pro stock and they hardly move... but the front end rises from the tq they make... watch the front tire not spin when they launch...

but then you get a lower hp/ leaf spring car wants the front end to come up. some setup's more than others but watch all the old SS cars, even all the current SS mopars... they all launch like this...

if my dart is a street strip car with the caltrac setup what shocks do you guys recomend? i have gas shocks on now.

if my dart is a street strip car with the caltrac setup what shocks do you guys recomend? i have gas shocks on now.

we run the caltracs shocks front and rear on the Mr. Norms Dart and Landy Clone...

they are great as the fronts settle down the track...

The amount of front end rise has alot to do with front to rear weight ratio. A 50-50 car doesn't need front or rear suspension at all! Don't think so? Look at Top Fuel or Funny cars? The heavier the front is to rear the more weight transfer your going to need. How much is all in you doing the R & D on your particular set up. In the case of my BB scamp, it launched the best when I limited the front rise to about 2".

So by raising the front end and getting more travel, this prevents the front end from lifting off the ground which is good? Please correct me if Im wrong, im looking to get my consistent as possible while running Ss springs

we run the caltracs shocks front and rear on the Mr. Norms Dart and Landy Clone...

they are great as the fronts settle down the track...

You are talking about Caltrac's shocks with leaf springs, looking at your pictures, you are using competition engineering adjustable shocks. Am I missing something here?

So by raising the front end and getting more travel, this prevents the front end from lifting off the ground which is good? Please correct me if Im wrong, im looking to get my consistent as possible while running Ss springs

No I'm not saying to raise the from end. I'm talking about the amount of front end rise you have when the car is launched. It has to do with weight transfer to the rearend. Every car is different, you need to experiment to see what makes your setup work.

The amount of front end rise has alot to do with front to rear weight ratio. A 50-50 car doesn't need front or rear suspension at all! Don't think so? Look at Top Fuel or Funny cars? The heavier the front is to rear the more weight transfer your going to need. How much is all in you doing the R & D on your particular set up. In the case of my BB scamp, it launched the best when I limited the front rise to about 2".

so asked the Boss about this and here is what he said...

it is necessary for a leaf spring car to have 4-5" of front wend travel to allow the weight to transfer. with a linked or ladder bar car you dont need as much travel up front due to the fact that by changing the bar angle you effectively change the weight bias...

with the leafs all they do is plant the rear tires, the front end HAS to come up to get weight transfer...

You are talking about Caltrac's shocks with leaf springs, looking at your pictures, you are using competition engineering adjustable shocks. Am I missing something here?

on the landy car and norms he runs the Caltracs

i cant afford them so i run the CE's lol

-
Back