Bumper Delete?

-

timbolia

65Wagon
Reaction score
I have seen a few early As with the front bumper removed, and I think it looks good. But is it unsafe, or even legal in California?

Anyone here have pics of a car that has had this done?

The question is: Why would you want to? Granted, the front bumpers on the early A's are not going to stop much but it's better than hitting right on the grille, hood or fender first. I think here in Ca. you have to have at least the brackets or nurf bars sticking out up front unless they changed the laws in the last few years.
Thanks, Mark

I was looking at this one and I like the profile. I also like the painted bumper in back. It is in Ventura I think.

sunny_passside2.jpg

Your parked in the Napa parking lot, another car backs into you;
no bumper means OH Crapp, :(

While, a big chrome Steel bumper, will protect your radiator, a lot more than the grille can.

My car has the bumper guards also.

100_0401a1Small.jpg

i never had one on my 65 barracuda. i liked the look of it without it. i did try to find one but this was about 10 years ago, and this site did not exist, so finding a bumper was not that easy. oh and i dont buy any crap that autozone sells, so i dont have to worry about parking there. hehe. finding a good bumper for my 63 will be even tougher since its a one year only bumper. if i cant find a straight one by the time its all painted, i will just run withough it. but again, i dont daily drive my car, or park it in busy parking lots.

The thing is My front bumper is O.K. but my rear one is pretty much toast. I think going without the rear is not an option because it is sort of integrated into the body lines of the car.

Dart2.jpg

I think going without the rear is not an option because it is sort of integrated into the body lines of the car.
A bigger reason would be because rear end collisions are one of the most common (according to OSHA, the most common) form of incident. You've seen enough driver distraction to believe that, I'm sure.

A friend of mine bought a brand new Chevy S10 pickup, of the cheapest possible configuration. No options, and every delete that was possible. To our surprise, they let him order it without a rear bumper. He laughed all the way to the bank. Then a year later came a very minor traffic bump, wherein he learned that body panels are not designed to resist impact. The other car drove away unscathed. The bodyshop laughed all the way to their bank.

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

I had a new 87 Ranger that came the same way, no headliner, no radio, and no rear bumper. My dad had a friend make me this awesome bumper with an integrated hitch out of quarter inch steel. I could take out a phone pole with that thing.

You guys are probably right, I should keep the bumpers. I was just hoping to see some cool early As with a naked front end.

I'm not sure where they are located but there is a company call Bumper Boy's Have seen them at many swap meets all over they seem to do good work. If they don't have one in stock you can ship them yours and they will rebuild it and ship it back to you. I think that they even have a web site just google it

Ps.. The correct name is The Bumper Boyz they are in Califonia

I'm not sure where they are located but there is a company call Bumper Boy's Have seen them at many swap meets all over they seem to do good work. If they don't have one in stock you can ship them yours and they will rebuild it and ship it back to you. I think that they even have a web site just google it

Just called them. $450 per bumper for new ones and $360 each to redo mine.

It was pretty common for people to not run a front bumper on the 64/65 Barracudas back in the 60's, 70's and into the 80's I didn't have one on my car, the guy I got the car from took it off around 1970 and I never ran one when I drove it. I had another 65 with no front bumper as well. They look good that way if your doing a nostalgic looking Hotrod, especially since most of the 64/65 Racecars didn't run one either.

cuda.jpg

They can do good work but they can also have some total junk at the shows, I've got some from them in the past at the Nationals that looked great but when I went to fit them on the car, they were completely deformed and wouldn't fit the car. When I called then, all they said was I could send them back and they "may" replace them if they feel they were not right, but I would have to cover the return shipping.

I have seen people at Carlisle car shows SCREAMing at Bumper Boyz,

I would not buy anything from them.

It was pretty common for people to not run a front bumper on the 64/65 Barracudas back in the 60's, 70's and into the 80's I didn't have one on my car, the guy I got the car from took it off around 1970 and I never ran one when I drove it. I had another 65 with no front bumper as well. They look good that way if your doing a nostalgic looking Hotrod, especially since most of the 64/65 Racecars didn't run one either.

cuda.jpg

They can do good work but they can also have some total junk at the shows, I've got some from them in the past at the Nationals that looked great but when I went to fit them on the car, they were completely deformed and wouldn't fit the car. When I called then, all they said was I could send them back and they "may" replace them if they feel they were not right, but I would have to cover the return shipping.

I purchased front/rear bumpers from the Boyz 4 years ago at the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona. I removed the rear from the packaging 8 months ago and put on the car. It now has rust comeing out on it, never been out of the shop.
I will use them until I have them rechromed.

Beware

-
Back