Bumper Installation?

-

bc67barracuda

1967 Barracuda - Fastback
Reaction score
Installing bumpers on my 67 Barracuda Fastback and not sure of the procedure to install them:

1) install brackets on car first then bumpers or
2) install as one unit(bracket & bumper together)?

and are there foam gaskets which separate the bracket from the body. Thanks!!!

I would definetly suggest that you install the brackets to the bumper and install the entire assembly as a unit. I mean, have you tried reaching some of those darned bumper bolts from behind?? Maddening!! Don't forget the small brackets at the ends of each bumper. They keep the bumper tip from vibrating and scratching things up, and give the front assy a little more rigidity!! Good luck !! Geof

I had my bumper rechromed and installed it back on the brackets without too much problem. I also left the little brackets off between the ends of the bumper and the body to keep the fenders from getting tweaked if I ever hit anything with the bumper. There is pleanty of room between the bumper and the body and I would much rather fix a scratch/ding than a dented fender if I hit anything. Just my opinion.

Those little bent stabilizers on the ends can scratch the crap out of a fender if you aren't careful. Get a helper !

Like I said I left the little brackets off and when I installed my bumper by myself I put some masking tape on the inside of the ends of the bumper to be sure not to scratch the fenders.

Good post mich. I put blue 2in tape on the paint (quarters, fenders, whatever) also. Stick it to my pant leg first so it weakens the tackiness of adhesive lessening the likelihood of pulling clear or color. just sayin'...

-
Back