Bumper Recondition

-

7duster4

Reaction score
This is probably a dumb question, but does anyone here know of any possible way to remove pitting from a bumper without getting it re-plated? It's the rear one from my duster. The chrome itself seems to be in good shape. Here in Cincinnati Ohio I found a place called "DG Custom Chrome" they quoted me $399 for that one bumper, which is more than I would like to spend. Is there a cheaper way to remove all the pitting? Just trying to save some money. Here is a good picture showing thr pitting. Not the best quality. Also an older pic with it on the car. Looks good from a distance. But awful when up close with the right light.

Any info is appreciated.

DSCI0001.jpg

young gun pic 7.jpg

Unfortunately your only alternative is a rechrome or get a rechromed unit & turn yours in as a core or maybe find a better unit on ebay ,etc.. Just not a whole lot you can do with aged chrome. Check out this guy on ebay(the chrome miner).

Oldschoolcuda

Ya,I got the same problem.Just waiting for my repaint,then i'll replace the bumpers.Chrome is the new Gold!!!!

a place in L.A. called the bumper boyz do a lot of chrome bumpers, if you baught one from them and gave them your old one im sure it would be cheaper than 400, thats what i did for my dart and their work is beautiful

Another option is sandblast and paint with a color or Alsa Killer Chrome. Rechrome would still be an option if and when the 400 falls in your lap.
Personally, I took a bummper off my car that had beautiful chrome and a serious dent and replaced with one peppered like yours and perfectly straight.
I just wax the thing good and live with it for now. Watching my lap LOL

Thanks "beastie340" seems like a good deal. I found a price sheet for "The Bumper Boyz" - $320.00, still better than $400. It dosn't have to be perfect though. The one from ebay seems like the ticket. Thanks again everyone.

I have 3 bumpers from "The Bumper Boyz" I haven't been real thrilled by the quality of the chrome, 2 of the bumpers have been on the car for about a year and there is already signs of rust. Its probably worth paying the extra $80 for DG Custom Chrome or using Tri City plating.

-
Back