Bumpers on 74 A-body

-

howco4

Reaction score
I'm looking at possibly buying a 74 Duster. I've ony seen pictures of the car, but is it my imagination, or did the bumpers on the cars increase in size every year. By the pics, the bumpers look massive. I'm still working on a 70 Swinger 340, but it's always nice to have another waiting project. (kinda of a sickness I guess). Howard

The best I can figure is 1974 Dusters had the same front bumpers as in 1973. The rear bumpers got the shock absorber-style bumper brackets in the rear in 1974. That made them stick out further and required fillers between them and the body. 1975 -6 had the shock absorber brackets all around. Through the years, they also got the big rubber bumperettes.

I had a 76 dart in the early 80's. Thinking back, you right about the bumper mounts. Thanks for the put. Howard

howco4 said:
is it my imagination, or did the bumpers on the cars increase in size every year.

Not sure about the bumper itself, but I was looking for a car in '73, wound up buying a '74 model (Challenger! :love4: Wish I'd have kept it!).

As far as the bumpettes, in '73 the feds required 5 MPH impact bumpers front and 2.5 MPH rear (IE, supposed to absorb that level of impact without exceeding a certain repair cost). So large 'rubber baby buggy bumpers' front, medium rear. In '74 the requirement kicked up to 5 MPH front and rear, so the back got the big ones as well.

Jay

I removed the bumperettes (front & rear) on my '75 Dart Sport and think it was a real cosmetic improvement. The 5 mph brackets and shock absorbers really add weight to the car. If I had the ability to fabricate some bumper brackets, I think I could remove easily 75 pounds off the car and keep the factory bumpers.

I put a '73 Duster rear bumper on my '72 Duster. The only difference was that the '73 had in inner heavy steel liner, and rubber bumperettes. From outside they look the same, but the addition of the liner made it stick out only another 1/8->1/4 inch. In '75 the bumpers became massive by comparison - thicker metal, stick out on sides, inner thick support, and shock absorbing bumpers. To my knowledge they never increased in size after that. The '74 I am not as sure about. I know they increased in size over '73, but I can't say it they had the shock absorbers or not.

-
Back