buns

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
anybody know where to get the front seat foam bunns for a 68 fish, w/o paying $250-$350 for them ? mine are shot. I had my seats recoverd w/ my design seat covers a few yrs back, and the bunns are deteriorating something terrible now . thanks , bob-------could get by w/ the bottoms only!

I haven't tried this, but there are some utube sites showing how to rebuild seats from a dodge ram. They are using foam from hobby lobby.
As I said, I don't see why this wouldn't work on my barracuda. If it totally didn't work you would only be out 25 or 30 dollars, check it out and tell me what you think.

Looked at a couple of those videos Tadams is referring to.
IMO, Seems sensible if your old foam is still in decent condition. If the current foams are crumbling to dust adding to the top is a Band-Aid for a wound that won't heel. From Bob's post, new (doubled up) burlap and new foams are likely his best bet.

I thought by using the foam from hobby lobby you would be replacing the old foams which is the problem we have with 50 year old foam. I'm going to try it anyway. I have new seat covers for mine

You should look for some high density foam
while on your search particularly if you weigh close to 200 lbs or more.
Other than that foam is foam. Just carve it into the correct shape since it won't be a moulded part.
A serrated knife or hack saw blade makes easy work of the shaping process.

You should look for some high density foam
while on your search particularly if you weigh close to 200 lbs or more.
Other than that foam is foam. Just carve it into the correct shape since it won't be a moulded part.
A serrated knife or hack saw blade makes easy work of the shaping process.

I heard that an electric carving knife works to cut the foam and I've also heard of using a hot wire to cut through it. We had an upholstery shop re-make our foam on the Charger.

Electric knife does work great but they burn up fast.
I got tired of buying them at thrift shops. The 50s-70s Hamilton Beach seem to last the longest but still short lived.
You will never wear out a hacksaw blade cutting foam been using the same one for decades.
Helps to clean the glue off them from time to time.

IMG_20160829_111030_068.jpg

Electric knife does work great but they burn up fast.
I got tired of buying them at thrift shops. The 50s-70s Hamilton Beach seem to last the longest but still short lived.
You will never wear out a hacksaw blade cutting foam been using the same one for decades.
Helps to clean the glue off them from time to time.

View attachment 1714963469
yea, the foam is totally shot. crumbling and smashing down thru the springs. gotta do something quick! did get my pass side front window adjusted right yesterday. on to the back quarter glass next. I remember my new 383 S fastback in 1968 always leaked around the windows, trying to overcome that. (wish I had kept that car!)

Bob if your not concerned about duplicating original construction the burlap can be replaced with any non stretchable fabric. An old canvas tarp is a good chioce if you have one laying around. It will keep the
foam from being pushed thru the springs.
Use hogring fasteners to attach where it wraps
over the perimeter wire frame and don't forget to
add a few to the center springs also. This prevents the springs from spreading apart from each other
allowing excessive movement and faster wear of
the softer materials placed over the steel.

Bob if your not concerned about duplicating original construction the burlap can be replaced with any non stretchable fabric. An old canvas tarp is a good chioce if you have one laying around. It will keep the
foam from being pushed thru the springs.
Use hogring fasteners to attach where it wraps
over the perimeter wire frame and don't forget to
add a few to the center springs also. This prevents the springs from spreading apart from each other
allowing excessive movement and faster wear of
the softer materials placed over the steel.
my biggest concern is , if the custom seat covers will fit new original foam, since I had them sewn up for the old stuff. guess I`m going to order one from summit or jegs, which ever is cheaper. if it goes ok, will order another one .

-
Back