burning oil

-

hairy72

Reaction score
i have a 318 that is burning oil. it was rebuilt 8 months ago and its burning oil now. i did a compression test and all the cylinders came out to 150 or 155. I put nuw valve seals on it and its still burning oil. how is it burning oil could it be intake gaskets that arent sealed good and its sucking it in through the lifter valley.

A leaking intake gasket is a distinct possibility. I had a 340 that was assembled with the wrong intake bolts. It felt and appeared tight but wasn't (because of bolt shoulder). Started blowing blue smoke (particularly on deceleration) soon after a rebuild. The smoke screen would put James Bond to shame. Replaced the intake gasket and bolts - problem solved.

Is the crankcase vented properly? If not then the pressure will build and lift the rings off the lans and push oil by them, so in this case the engine has too much blow-by or the rings aren't seated yet and the pcv can't remove the pressure fast enough. Just another thought.

Were the intake guides replaced? Just putting new seals on worn guides won't work for very long.

i have the pcv hooked up the guides wrent replaced because they were in good shape a machinist checked them for me.

it looks like there is oil around the intake gaskets.

everytime i accelerate i noticed i would leave a big cloud of smoke

i put new intake gaskets on and its still burning oil.

Hmm, and it was rebuilt 8 months ago.

Did it get new pistons or just new rings.

Your compression sounds good, how does it idle ? Just thinking maybe the intake could have crack.

Those motors are tough, mines been rebuilt 6 years ago and has 30,000 hard miles on it. I get no smoke taking off.

Sometimes those gaskets are hard to seal. You didn't go using silcone by the ports, right. I see many do. Gasoline eats that stuff up.

I use a stuff like high-tack by the intake ports, water ports too but its made for small airplanes. EPA is screwing up that stuff too. It smells strong like the old stuff. But high-tack works, might want to try once more. Clean the surfaces with brake cleaner so the gaskets seal.

Those heads haven't been milled, if so many the intake needs to be. Don't use the cork stuff on the front and back. Thats where you use RTV silcone. If you use the cork which comes with the intake gaskets, the manifold might not go down far enough.

they are new pistons. i used the black rtv around the ports and no cork ends. the heads were not milled. i cannot figure it out and i need to fast because i am starting school soon.

I would try once more but without the RTV. Try fel-pro print o seal...or Mr Gasket.

I used the cheap Mr Gasket and that sticking red tacky stuff. High-tack is one name. Eledbrock makes something too. Gasiline---not spelled right but kind of close.

RTV does not belong by the intake ports but funny many use it. Read the package, it says do not use by gasoline.

I also use a valley tray that covers the cam in the valley. This way if the intake gasket does start to leak, oil is not suck up as much. You need to pull the pushrods out and drop it in. $25 it runs. Summit, Jegs, they both have it.

Look that the intake is not warp, need a straight edge.

It sure sounds like a leaking intake gasket. Could be bad rings but unlikely being it was rebuilt 8 months ago.

Your pvc valve is not sucking up oil right. There is a baffle in the valve cover where it goes. Some aftermarket covers don't have a baffle.

i have a baffle in the valve covers and took the pcv off to see if it would stop smoking but it didnt.

check your pcv hose it maybe collapsing when you accelerate. it happened
to my dad and my nephew. we replaced them with a harder hose. it solved the problem. worth a try.

i replaced the intake gaskets again and used the high tack around the ports and it is still burning oil. i took the spark plug out of some of the cylinders and looked in and i could see that there was oil on the pistons.

When the engine was rebuilt how much cylinder taper was there or did you go oversize with the bores. I've seen engines with to much taper that the rings seated at first but a couple days later stopped and started passing oil.

Terry

Sorry, guess your rings are shot.

Theres no way your intake can be leaking with you changing the gaskets so much.

Been nice if you could have used a diff. intake but I never seen one warp yet. Did you look at the intake ports if they had oil.

Funny its more than 1 cylinder. You know, like 2-3 cylinders going at the same time seems weird.

Maybe it was pinging and crack some rings but your compression seems good.

Who built the motor. Like a good shop or some backyard guy. Rings do go only 1 way but sometimes people slip up and put a few on backwards.

Yes maybe the cylinders are taper.

This stinks, you are just wasting time and $$. But it was worth a shot.

What weight oil is it running, 10W-30 or 20W-50...but tell you switching to even straight 40 weight oil might not make it much better.

I did blow a head gasket once and man that thing was burning oil but was running good for 1 day. I thought it was valve seals or maybe the rings and it get better.

Then on the freeway at high speed, it lost some power and smoke was pouring out in back like it was on fire but blue smoke, not black.

Drove it back home 3-4 miles, thank god no cop was around and did a compression check. 1 cylinder was gone, no compression at all. I pulled the head, the bolts were not very tight and you could see right were it blew out and it was on the valley side. I just put a new head gasket on and tork it down to 95 lbs. Been fine every since.

I really can't think of anything but bad rings or intake leaking or crack. The last 2 I doubt it but a 8 month old rebuilt going bad I doubt it too.

It could be bad rings and your compression test looks OK because the oil is sealing the rings.

I am just guessing at this point, thou.

i built the motor but my friend put the rings on because he had done it before.the motor was bored .030 over so its not taper.

I am out of ideas. If the oils clean, like its been changed not so long ago, top it right up to the top and drive it for awhile--if you can, with these cell phones it does not take long for a cop to find you if you piss everybody off.

I say just drive it because maybe it get better, or worst. Thats how I found my bad head gasket, I thought it was the valve seals cause it smoke very bad starting up but then seemed OK for like a day. Next day the gasket blew right out, I guess I was lucky the piston did not lock up with so much oil inside the hole.

So maybe driving it is not a great idea.

i pulled my motor and found out that its the guides.there was oil running down the back of the valves so im going to go to the machine shop and have them replaced. how much does that usually cost.

i got the heads done and looked at the rings and they were fine. i put it back together and it is still burning oil. i was told that my carburetor is too big and is washing down the rings. i have a holley street avenger 670 with a 420 lift cam. do you think i have too much carb and that it is washing down my rings causing me to burn oil.

i got the heads done and looked at the rings and they were fine. i put it back together and it is still burning oil. i was told that my carburetor is too big and is washing down the rings. i have a holley street avenger 670 with a 420 lift cam. do you think i have too much carb and that it is washing down my rings causing me to burn oil.

I do not think that that is a huge carb for a 318. Granted it is fairly large for the cam you have in the motor, I don't see it as being enough to wash out the rings periodically, unless the engine is idled a lot and is not put under load enough to burn the fuel out of the cylinders.

Does your oil smell like fuel at all?

If you have a slightly smaller carb lying around, you may want to throw it on, just to experiement and change the oil. I am still not sold though, on this being the culprit of the issue. I run a 650 Holley on my teen', granted with a .470/.480 lift cam, but it runs great and the oil smells fine, although I did just switch over to synthetic at 2000 miles and there are a few oil runs on the block, so I think that I am going back to dino oil again.

-
Back