burnout problems.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
So instead of hijacking the burnout video thread I decided to start my own.When I power brake it and get both tires to spin the rear end starts swinging around. I have a open 7 1/4 in it now but I have a 8 1/4 with a suregrip sitting in my garage and was wondering if its going to slide around every time I power brake it?

sideways...if it was any other car I would love being sideways but this girl is not set up to be sliding around. Like if I am stopped and start burning out with the foot on the break the rear it starts to slide and I am thinking it usually slides to the right.

RPM Air Gap btw...drink up

It's called throttle induced oversteer and once you get used to it, it can be your friend. It's saved my bacon more than once.

throttle induced oversteer sounds more like I am using the throttle to kick the car sideways when I am turning or moving. This is happening at a dead stop.

Why would I do something mature like that lol. Burnouts are fun for me and in most cases I am the only one in danger since I very rarely do them when another car is in sight. When the rear end starts moving to the side I let out right away.

I had the same problem with my Duster with all rears even a spool. A lot of unibody cars are not made correct. The front spring mounts on the cars are not spaced evenly from the front A-arms / ball joints. I needed to correct this before moving the springs in. What I did was took measurements and found that there was a 1/2 inc Difference.

I shimmed the right side back to correct this. I made an aluminum spacer and uses four longer bolts. and it corrected the problem. When I moved the springs in I followed the front spring eye holed in the mount for the new location.

Most a-bodies are off. I've noticed It can be seen with the naked eye after doing many for others. When you look up from under the car. You can see the difference in the large hole in the rear frame rail in front of the tab extended from the mount to the hole. Check it from side to side and see if there is a difference.

Most non performance cars had this problem especially /6's. The mopar bodies in white were perfect. also all cars with the extra supports for standard shift cars or sure grips from the factory. It was the way Chrysler used up the imperfect bodies.

My rear body and floor section of my car is from a /6 car . I can get pics of my Demon or my Duster on rotisaries if pics are needed for the location they are correct 340 cars and not off. But my Orange Duster is way off. 1/2 inch as I said. Next time its on the lift when I get it out of the Race trailer I will take pics so I have them loaded.

Did you ever watch the burnout contests at Carlilse and watch some of the cars cannot stay straight. The problem is the rear is not straight and makes the car want to spin around.

I found a pic of the Duster on the rotisary. Look at the tab on the bottom of the rail and the distance from the hole. this is a pic of the front spring mount mounting location. My car was 1/2 inch off from left side of car to the right side of car. I know you guys will be checking your cars now LOL.

Attachments

• DSCF0055[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 409
I would always have to turn my wheel slightly to the right on the big end to keep the car off the center line . My car will start spinning the tires at 80 mph on the street with slicks from torque . This use to get dangerous. And the reason most guys go with adjustable latter bar or 4 link suspensions. Just because you have leafs dosen't mean its square.

If you look close on the top pic here you can see 1 inch of rail left on the car behind the mount pad on the right side. I keft the spring mounts on the car with the spacer on the right side to locate them. I put 1 inch spacer on the right and the 1/2 inch spacer on the left. I moved the rear back 1/2 inch for tire clearance. I also moved the front of the opening front 3/4 inch.

Attachments

• a6.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 414
  • a16.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 370
  • DSCF0090.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 369
  • DSCF0098.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 364
  • 20[1].jpg
    108 KB · Views: 366
SS springs move the rear front. one of the reasons they made Z shackles for correct geometry when installed. This can be also corrected by moving the front perches back with longer bolts and shims but would take from the weight rtransfer built into the spring.Like I said I moved mine back for Tire clearance. so I didn't have tho move the outer wheel house.

Here is a pic of my other duster with just SS springs in the stock location with off set hangers and shackels

Attachments

• b52[1].jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 368
  • b48[1].jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 351
  • 44413[1].jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 377
  • 44412[1].jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 364
Very interesting and very nice car oldmanmopar. I will be checking my cars in the future for sure. My dart sport was originally a /6 car - I put in a 408 and 8 1/4 sure grip and it would always want to go sideways in the burn out box, but after putting in an 8 3/4 it wasn't near as bad. I guess that geometry has a lot to do with it.

I had the same problem with my Duster with all rears even a spool. A lot of unibody cars are not made correct. The front spring mounts on the cars are not spaced evenly from the front A-arms / ball joints. I needed to correct this before moving the springs in. What I did was took measurements and found that there was a 1/2 inc Difference.

I shimmed the right side back to correct this. I made an aluminum spacer and uses four longer bolts. and it corrected the problem. When I moved the springs in I followed the front spring eye holed in the mount for the new location.

Most a-bodies are off. I've noticed It can be seen with the naked eye after doing many for others. When you look up from under the car. You can see the difference in the large hole in the rear frame rail in front of the tab extended from the mount to the hole. Check it from side to side and see if there is a difference.

Most non performance cars had this problem especially /6's. The mopar bodies in white were perfect. also all cars with the extra supports for standard shift cars or sure grips from the factory. It was the way Chrysler used up the imperfect bodies.

My rear body and floor section of my car is from a /6 car . I can get pics of my Demon or my Duster on rotisaries if pics are needed for the location they are correct 340 cars and not off. But my Orange Duster is way off. 1/2 inch as I said. Next time its on the lift when I get it out of the Race trailer I will take pics so I have them loaded.

Did you ever watch the burnout contests at Carlilse and watch some of the cars cannot stay straight. The problem is the rear is not straight and makes the car want to spin around.

I found a pic of the Duster on the rotisary. Look at the tab on the bottom of the rail and the distance from the hole. this is a pic of the front spring mount mounting location. My car was 1/2 inch off from left side of car to the right side of car. I know you guys will be checking your cars now LOL.
i read this before somewhere i have 2 dusters one goes straight one goes sideways time to get the measuring tape out. thanks

I am away from my dart for another month but when I get back and do the rear swap I will be sure to pay attention to that. I live on a back road with a 1/2 mile straight right in front of my house so most of my burnouts go on right in front of the house or back in a state park thats about a mile away. Worst case ontario I call up a neighbor and have them bring a trailer over. I am really hoping to get this problem fixed before the mopar nats next year. I was really hoping to get into the smoke show.

i have a built up 340 dart and it drifts alot when i do a big burnout .i also had a little accident from this.

i had an issue with front brakes not releasing because they werent bled properly because the bleeders are on the bottom of the caliper .

-
Back