Bushing or not?

-
Ok, sorry, maybe I'm blind, here is a close up of the bearing, from what I can see this bearing needs to come off the shaft it is pressed on in order to remove the upper column peice to get to the rotor, but you can not get to the bearing with a puller because it is inset? I do not see a clip other than the snap ring a removed a while ago from above it? But this bearing is on tight, I do not see a bushing? BTW thanks for all the help I just don't want to break something.

View attachment 1716120361
IIRC, I used a steering wheel puller in the bolt holes (THREADED ALL THE WAY IN TO UTILIZE ALL OF THE THREADS IN THE COLLAR) that held the signal light switch retaining plate. Make sure all the screws are out that hold the collar in place and GO EASY .........The collar will start to move relatively easily, and pull the bearing along with it. And, make sure that the snap ring in front of the bearing is removed before pulling.............Others may have a different approach.

The bearing is a slip fit onto the steering shaft, it’s not a press fit at all. With the snap ring removed it should really just slide off with the collar unless the steering shaft is chewed up

Ok, great advice guys, maybe I'll try removing the bearing with a couple of strong 90 degree snap on picks, then maybe the puller as well? For the can? I'll get back in the shop and giver another go!

Ok, there is progress, I managed to get the bearing out and then the upper collar or can or whatever you call it, now behind that is a circlip and then the rotor. IF I can remove the rotor the shaft should slide out, honestly I can not believe how many pieces there are to this, it seems it was engineered more complex than it needed to be. Anyway now for the rotor, it wobbles on the shaft a bit but I just do not see how it slips off? It feels like it is being held by something like a set screw or pin but I see nothing my son sent me a picture of this tool but I have no idea what it even dose even if I had one which I do not. Ideas???

Screenshot_20230728_194827_Messages.jpg

So I was reading back through some post in this thread, 72blunblu said there is a ring in front of the rotor you remove then the rotor, I do see a small black ring on the rotor surface but I can't remove it using picks and I don't want to destroy it there must be a secret to remove it? This should be the last step. Thanks

The factory service manual is available on mymopar.
The manual takes you step by step thru the disassembly process.

I did download the service manual, it's a bit vague it says to install the tool shown in the photo to press out a pin, I do not have that special tool, nor do I think anyone dose, plus there is no pin to push out, it's simply a plate od which I attached a photo from another site, I have searched for over an hour on you tub videos etc but can not figure how to get the damn thing off? Someone here must have done this before?

Screenshot_20230729_172808_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_172822_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_082722_Chrome.jpg

I did download the service manual, it's a bit vague it says to install the tool shown in the photo to press out a pin, I do not have that special tool, nor do I think anyone dose, plus there is no pin to push out, it's simply a plate od which I attached a photo from another site, I have searched for over an hour on you tub videos etc but can not figure how to get the damn thing off? Someone here must have done this before?

Screenshot_20230729_082722_Chrome.jpg

The top arrow shows where the pin goes through the rotor

The next arrow shows the ring that covers the pin and the shoulder of the rotor. It's crimped on, you may need to tweak it a bit to remove it

The bottom arrow shows the pin that goes through the shoulder of the rotor and through the steering shaft

Ok, thankyou, that makes sence, all I see is the crimps I will try to get the ring off, now with out the special tool can I punch it out with out worrying about damage if I'm careful?

You have to remove the pin to move forward.
New pins can be purchased from Arizona Parts Mopar.
Part #6030198. Take note that he's on vacation until September 14.

Last edited:
Success!! Thanks very your patience and helping. Me through this honestly I'm not stupid, I just did not want to break anything, now I know how I could probably have had it apart in 45 min, I was able to gently persuade the pin out of the rotor enough I'll just slide it back in, no damage.

Screenshot_20230729_200143_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_200143_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_200128_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230729_200122_Gallery.jpg

-
Back