Buy a car without physically seeing it

-
I'm curious how many people have bought cars from across the country without seeing the car in person. There's a 66 barracuda in NV that i'd love to look at and possibly buy, but i can't just jump on a plane without planning a vacation around it. I don't even get 2 days off in a row in my job. It's at a dealer and they are very good at sending me videos and pictures, but i'm still hesitant without being able to look at the car up close. Just worried about buying a car with hidden rust everywhere. This place does restorations and has good reviews. Anyone near vegas with hands on experience with these cars want to go look at it for me, lol! 1966 Plymouth Barracuda | Atomic Motors Classic Cars & Motorcycles
I've only bought one car sight unseen, and it wasn't what it was advertised. The seller was happy to communicate until he got paid and then he fell off the earth. If you can get someone local to look at the car do it. If the other option is to fly in and look at the car, then do that. I drove with a trailer from San Antonio to Houston to buy a Dart Sport from a classic car consignment business, only to find the low oil pressure light came on when the motor was warm. Even though most people are honest, you have to look out for your own best interest and trust no one.

I've bought a number of cars from far away over the years. The 2 cars I didn't go look at were a disappointment although I didn't lose money on either as values were going up as I restored them (I restore them and sell them after a year because I get bored and always like to have a project). I bought a Demon from he west coast that supposedly wasn't rusty and had shiny black paint. It needed fenders, quarters, trunk floor, extensions ,etc.. I'm sure if I had flown to see it I wouldn't have bought it. I've travelled a 1000 miles or more to see a number of cars. There were a couple I didn't buy because of rust of damage beyond my capabilities. It all depends on your risk tolerance.
Thanks. Rust is something i don't want to deal with. I can do anything mechanically, but i'm not a paint/body man. I've tried and i suck at it.

I've bought a few cars without seeing them in person and have been pretty fortunate to have had decent sellers who were very honest about what they had. But for that amount of money I would at least have someone check it out for me.

I'll bet the car was silver. Good eye on the under back window paint!

Edit: I just checked mine, and that area beneath the back window is the same color as the interior paint. So more likely primer

Wonder what rear end it has with the 360. Hopefully at least an 8.25

That does look nice. What was the price?
low 20s 360 4 speed. my 3 year old dreaming lol

379102858_10159307745360598_3787422235842243019_n.jpg

I've only bought one car sight unseen, and it wasn't what it was advertised. The seller was happy to communicate until he got paid and then he fell off the earth. If you can get someone local to look at the car do it. If the other option is to fly in and look at the car, then do that. I drove with a trailer from San Antonio to Houston to buy a Dart Sport from a classic car consignment business, only to find the low oil pressure light came on when the motor was warm. Even though most people are honest, you have to look out for your own best interest and trust no one.
I wish i had a tow vehicle up to the task of towing a car. I don't think my wifes 2017 dodge charger with the 3.6 would appreciate it. I'm glad i made the original post because ya'll picked out things i hadn't even noticed.

So the car is on consignment i've found out. I'm going to have to go to vegas if i want that car. In the mean time i'm going to drive down to orlando and check out this 1965 someone has clearly turned into a hotrod. I don't hate it. correction, i hate the interior. 1965 Plymouth Barracuda For Sale - ORD2433 There's a couple in tampa also at gateway classics. One is a S with a manual transmission. At least i can drive one this way without flying across the country.

Don't go out of your way. I hear they have free hotdogs on Saturdays.
Do you want me to look at it Today?
I did not understand your comment = You do not
want me to look at it.
Today we can look at it.
Friday Saturday Sunday we are racing
and staying at to track.

I wish i had a tow vehicle up to the task of towing a car.
A lot of ppl rent UHaul box truck and UHaul car trailer. UHaul requires you provide make/model/year of car that will be tailored and they will make sure you get sufficient equipment to get it done.

Personally, I would not turn down GTX John's offer if you are seriously considering that car. I have seen enough that I would move on and find something better for the price. So far as buying sight unseen, yes, I have, and it turned out fine. There were minor things not mentioned, but, overall, mine turned out great. When I was looking for a six pack Cuda, many years ago, I made a trip from Texas to Ohio with a trailer and a glovebox full of cash. After seeing that the body panels did not jive with the vin, and some other hack sorta stuff, and without driving or so much as starting the car, I turned around and left. I was feeling sick to my stomach, and mad, so, was in no mood to negotiate. He was left standing in his driveway, arms in the air, mumbling something about he could not believe we would drive that far and then turn around and leave in less than 20 minutes.

Right here? I didn't even notice that. Is there a panel missing that covers that? Do you think that is primer or was this car originally yellow/tan?

View attachment 1716210711

That looks silver to me. The hinged trunk wall is either folded down or is missing as you should not be able to see into the trunk from the interior when it is closed. That's the trunk lid latch/lock mechanism you are looking at in that picture. Trunk itself appears silver to me.

We just got back to the shop from looking at
it.

You are not going to like my opinions as I did not
care for the body work done on the car.

It appears in 1/4 has been replace and the other one has
extensive bondo work (See Pictures). None of the sheet metal fits
very well and gaps are poor.

Paint appears to be new but not high quality. It has a lot of overspray and
was done with the trim in place and not well masked. Dirt in paint and cracking where
thinly applied. Basically, a low dollar repaint.

Interior probably 5 years old but in good condition.

I would not pay $20,000. for this vehicle = But we all have our own opinions.

Sorry that I was not more impressed with it!

20240222_142531.jpg

20240222_142556.jpg

20240222_142651.jpg

20240222_143025.jpg

20240222_143403.jpg

20240222_143249.jpg

20240222_143243.jpg

20240222_143157.jpg

20240222_143140.jpg

Last edited:
it.

was done with the trim in place and not well masked. Dirt in paint and cracking where

View attachment 1716210878

View attachment 1716210879

View attachment 1716210882

View attachment 1716210885

View attachment 1716210891

View attachment 1716210893

View attachment 1716210894

View attachment 1716210898

View attachment 1716210900
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That is a PIECE OF ****! Run from that nightmare as fast as you can, unless you want to dump another $60k into what might then be a $25k car.
Thanks for checking it out @GTX JOHN !

Personally, I would not turn down GTX John's offer if you are seriously considering that car. I have seen enough that I would move on and find something better for the price. So far as buying sight unseen, yes, I have, and it turned out fine. There were minor things not mentioned, but, overall, mine turned out great. When I was looking for a six pack Cuda, many years ago, I made a trip from Texas to Ohio with a trailer and a glovebox full of cash. After seeing that the body panels did not jive with the vin, and some other hack sorta stuff, and without driving or so much as starting the car, I turned around and left. I was feeling sick to my stomach, and mad, so, was in no mood to negotiate. He was left standing in his driveway, arms in the air, mumbling something about he could not believe we would drive that far and then turn around and leave in less than 20 minutes.
I went on a 1200 mile round trip in early December to see a car, and like you I had a pocket full of cash to make deal.
Car was less than exciting when I got there, of course the seller was pushing me hard, and couldn't believe that I would just walk away after having gone that far to see it.
I said to him "why would I overpay for a piece of **** that I will immediately have to spend more money on just to make it roadworthy?" Then I got back in my car and drove away.

I did that with a 2001 yamaha R1, but i only drove 2 hours. Now i won't even bother without high quality pics. Not everyones idea of excellent condition is the same as mine. yeah, i think i'm going to look around a bit more. Now i'm finding a lot of barracudas closer to me. Maybe i'll go bid on this one at auction. 1965 Plymouth Barracuda They've got another with a hemi.

Do you want me to look at it Today?
I did not understand your comment = You do not
want me to look at it.
Today we can look at it.
Friday Saturday Sunday we are racing
and staying at to track.
No, i don't see me and the seller coming close to a deal. I'll find something closer.

Lying scum bag used car lot dirt bags prob did a quick scuff and shoot, resale red, lets see if we can find a sucker who will pay the inflated price.

Lying scum bag used car lot dirt bags prob did a quick scuff and shoot, resale red, lets see if we can find a sucker who will pay the inflated price.
Consignment sale, that way the slimeball selling the junk doesn't have to look a prospective buyer in the eye and lie about everything.

it.

Hey John, thanks for doing that. That was really nice of you.

Definitely not an 8.75 rear. Explorer? 8.25?

It may not be an awful car, but no way I'd ask $35k if that was mine

I'm more concerned of all the stuff underneath that's painted black

Definitely not an 8.75 rear. Explorer? 8.25?

It may not be an awful car, but no way I'd ask $35k if that was mine

I'm more concerned of all the stuff underneath that's painted black
My son worked at used car lot for years. They kept cases of black rattle cans and cases of under coating in the back. My at the time high school kid was told rattle can right over dirt mudd whatever put least amount of effort in. And that was the least of the scum bag tricks they would play. Fixing totaled cars and not totaled on carfax all types of slime ball used car lot games...

it.

gee who didn't see that coming.. 34k for that **** box is crazy..

-
Back