Buy a car without physically seeing it

-
None of my business, but don't buy it! You can do SO MUCH BETTER for $35,000. Even if I LOVED 66 Barracudas and that was exactly what I wanted, I still would not pay $20,000 for it.

I wish i had a tow vehicle up to the task of towing a car. I don't think my wifes 2017 dodge charger with the 3.6 would appreciate it. I'm glad i made the original post because ya'll picked out things i hadn't even noticed.

So the car is on consignment i've found out. I'm going to have to go to vegas if i want that car. In the mean time i'm going to drive down to orlando and check out this 1965 someone has clearly turned into a hotrod. I don't hate it. correction, i hate the interior. 1965 Plymouth Barracuda For Sale - ORD2433 There's a couple in tampa also at gateway classics. One is a S with a manual transmission. At least i can drive one this way without flying across the country.
You have a PM

Has anyone been to one of these car auctions? I'm shocked how much some of these classics sold for. a 1973 nova that looked perfect sold for $11k. a 66 dodge dart gt sold for 20k. They've got 3 barrcudas being auctioned, a 1965 that i posted a link to, a 1968 with a hemi and a 66 that looks like it might be original. What might a 68 with a hemi go for? The undercarriage is spectacular. 1968 Plymouth Barracuda Hemi

if i had to guess that 68 is probably in the 60K + range, i see other similar cars in the 50~75K range, but whether they're moving or not i don't know.

a few interesting choices (to me at least) in that they kept the KH front discs and there's no subframe connectors. but some very nice touches of keeping the dash stock (with a factory tach!) and not "resto-modding" the interior. it's very tidy all around.

all in all, i'd consider this to be head and shoulders above anything else you've posted.

We just got back to the shop from looking at
it.

You are not going to like my opinions as I did not
care for the body work done on the car.

It appears in 1/4 has been replace and the other one has
extensive bondo work (See Pictures). None of the sheet metal fits
very well and gaps are poor.

Paint appears to be new but not high quality. It has a lot of overspray and
was done with the trim in place and not well masked. Dirt in paint and cracking where
thinly applied. Basically, a low dollar repaint.

Interior probably 5 years old but in good condition.

I would not pay $20,000. for this vehicle = But we all have our own opinions.

Sorry that I was not more impressed with it!

View attachment 1716210878

View attachment 1716210879

View attachment 1716210882

View attachment 1716210885

View attachment 1716210891

View attachment 1716210893

View attachment 1716210894

View attachment 1716210898

View attachment 1716210900
Wow! I was told the owner runs a paint and body shop too! Thanks for doing that.

if i had to guess that 68 is probably in the 60K + range, i see other similar cars in the 50~75K range, but whether they're moving or not i don't know.

a few interesting choices (to me at least) in that they kept the KH front discs and there's no subframe connectors. but some very nice touches of keeping the dash stock (with a factory tach!) and not "resto-modding" the interior. it's very tidy all around.

all in all, i'd consider this to be head and shoulders above anything else you've posted.
yeah, it's nice and they have nice large pics of just about everything. I bet the reserve is pretty high.

Ive been to lots of the Scottsdale auctions. They are a terrible place to buy generally. Lots of cars are built for auction which is not a good thing.

I'm curious how many people have bought cars from across the country without seeing the car in person. There's a 66 barracuda in NV that i'd love to look at and possibly buy, but i can't just jump on a plane without planning a vacation around it. I don't even get 2 days off in a row in my job. It's at a dealer and they are very good at sending me videos and pictures, but i'm still hesitant without being able to look at the car up close. Just worried about buying a car with hidden rust everywhere. This place does restorations and has good reviews. Anyone near vegas with hands on experience with these cars want to go look at it for me, lol! 1966 Plymouth Barracuda | Atomic Motors Classic Cars & Motorcycles
I bought a 1969 Dart GT over the internet and even worse EBay out of Florida! It was mechanically very rough but all in all I’m very lucky that I bought it when I did 6 years ago for under $12000! I’ve put a lot of money in it but that’s what we do

IMG_5413.jpeg

IMG_5416.jpeg

Brings back memories of when I nearly purchased a Duster based on pics posted online. Wired the seller 11k and had the balance in cash burning a hole in my pocket. Suspicions were aroused when i looked closely at one of the pics of the passenger side door. Asked the seller if any body work had been done as he claimed in the posting ‘rust free’. A couple of days later a new pic was sent to me where he had the area touched up by a local shop. When I arrived to pick up the car, i could tell from 30’ this was not going to end well. Car was Swiss cheese. We took a spin in it and he asked if I was going to load it up, I told him no and that I’d like my money back. Went to the local bank, which was closed, and had to wait until the following week for him to return mos of what I had paid. End of the day I agreed to pay him 400 for the touch up work in return for the 10.6k. Fortunately he agreed, albeit reluctantly. I overcame the $400 rather easily, but the dent to my pride/ego took a while. A mistake that I will not repeat

I've only bought one car sight unseen, and it wasn't what it was advertised. The seller was happy to communicate until he got paid and then he fell off the earth. If you can get someone local to look at the car do it. If the other option is to fly in and look at the car, then do that. I drove with a trailer from San Antonio to Houston to buy a Dart Sport from a classic car consignment business, only to find the low oil pressure light came on when the motor was warm. Even though most people are honest, you have to look out for your own best interest and trust no one.
When I bought my wagon I sent a

One word, NEVER! Only the good stuff is in the pictures not the bad

I bought mine without seeing it in person.. the pics looked amazing.... they were very strategic.. I paid double what i should have and have done 10x the work i expected... I always had a rule to never do that and i did....

Take the offer to have someone knowledgable inspect it. After six hard years of replacing pretty much every major piece of sheetmetal on my Dart, I probably exhibit the worse case scenario of “sight unseen.” Pictures just can’t tell the whole story. A couple of years ago I flew to the East coast with cashier’s check in hand to buy a well-known Dart Charger. The car was depicted as having no rust. Within two minutes of looking at the car in person I could tell it had significant rust issues, even though they might not be obvious to most people. The problem with these old cars, is, my opinion, that there is no such thing as “rust free.” It’s there, you just can’t see it. My donor car was an Arizona car its’ entire life, but it still had corrosion in the roof and quarters due to condensation and moisture absorption from accumulated dirt. Also, I discovered old crash damage in the rear that would have affected the alignment of the trunk. It’s very easy to end up having to repair the used parts you bought to repair existing parts. You can’t easily look under headliners, or up inside cowl vents, A pillars and sail panels, not to mention rocker panels. Just because the rocker panels are good is no guaranteed of no corrosion either. My car was a total rust bucket, but the rocker panels are very good. Why? I think it’s because the drain holes never clogged. It was from Washington state, and almost all the rust I found was probably from condensation, and sitting with an open window in a high-rainfall and humidity state. Even the drip rails were rusted through under the factory sealer. In my opinion, unless you have an original car that has been intentionally stored in a low humidity environment, you probably have some corrosion. Later model cars have better corrosion protection and might not be as much at risk, but anything from the ‘60’s and ‘70’s will have some rust somewhere that will probably need attention.

Unlikely that car spent its life in SoCal or NV. Might get some rust in the Sierra Nevada, though they don't salt the roads there. In L.A., 1960's cars usually don't even have a spot of rust on the rear bumper brackets even parked outside. You still see 1970's Jap mini-trucks on the road, which rusted away in the east. My guess is that car spent time in the east before coming to NV. The fender tag will tell where it was built. There was an assembly plant in L.A. in the 1960's.

I have used a third party called Lemon Squad- Pre-Purchase Car Inspection | Vehicle Inspection to go and inspect the car I was thinking about buying. They did a great inspection with tons of pics and they also were able to use a device to inspect how much body filler or how thick the paint was. Best $275 I ever spent. Did not purchase the car after the inspection. Saved me lots of money...

Buy a plane ticket round trip one day, best money you’ll ever spend! I did back in 2000, saw stuff that was not in the pics.

I've bought a couple, did alright but came real
Neither of mine were any kind of flashy things to write home about.
An 83 d250 via eBay that was in Wisconsin of all places
Just 4 months ago a Durango in st Louis
About 15 years ago my son and I drove to Vegas and brought home a 76 Aspen for me (real clean but wound up selling it to pay for the trip out there) and my son bought a ramcharger from the same guy, that he still has

I'm curious how many people have bought cars from across the country without seeing the car in person. There's a 66 barracuda in NV that i'd love to look at and possibly buy, but i can't just jump on a plane without planning a vacation around it. I don't even get 2 days off in a row in my job. It's at a dealer and they are very good at sending me videos and pictures, but i'm still hesitant without being able to look at the car up close. Just worried about buying a car with hidden rust everywhere. This place does restorations and has good reviews. Anyone near vegas with hands on experience with these cars want to go look at it for me, lol! 1966 Plymouth Barracuda | Atomic Motors Classic Cars & Motorcycles
I bought my 1967 Dodge Dart convertible off of ebay sight unseen and had it shipped north to PA from North Carolina. Ebay has a buyers insurance that covers the representation of the car, the transaction, and insures the car during shipping. The car is great and was described accurately. The shipping didn't quite go as described but the car arrived it just took additional days. I did look at 2 other cars cross country and used a service from ebay to look at the car that took tons of pictures, test drove the car and gave a thorough description for a fee of close to $100. I did not buy 2 of those cars because of the reports. On one sale the owner wanted to do a different cheaper price an not use ebay and I refused as well.

We just got back to the shop from looking at
it.

You are not going to like my opinions as I did not
care for the body work done on the car.

It appears in 1/4 has been replace and the other one has
extensive bondo work (See Pictures). None of the sheet metal fits
very well and gaps are poor.

Paint appears to be new but not high quality. It has a lot of overspray and
was done with the trim in place and not well masked. Dirt in paint and cracking where
thinly applied. Basically, a low dollar repaint.

Interior probably 5 years old but in good condition.

I would not pay $20,000. for this vehicle = But we all have our own opinions.

Sorry that I was not more impressed with it!

View attachment 1716210878

View attachment 1716210879

View attachment 1716210882

View attachment 1716210885

View attachment 1716210891

View attachment 1716210893

View attachment 1716210894

View attachment 1716210898

View attachment 1716210900
The profound thankfulness must have been in a personal message. I just didn't see it here on the board...

Has anyone been to one of these car auctions?
Like anything else it is a 50/50 chance. Best is you can look the cars over and decide if you want to bid or not.
Many times the sellers bring ringers to drive the price up. I must say I have seen cars sold very reasonable.
Last is you have to pay a buyer's fee of 10% of the winning bid.
About 15 years ago my son and I drove to Vegas and brought home a 76 Aspen
I remember that ! You got them from Craig. I don't remember why we didn't get a chance to meet up.

I don't either, I think I called you with a problem with the ramcharger, and picked your brain, we ended up replacing the fuel pump in a truck stop parking lot and when we got home I discovered a pinched return line, (89, TBI so we had to drop the tank in the parking lot) line got pinched between tank and frame.
7 mpg all the way home. We drove out in a wrangler, my son followed me home in it and had to stay way back because it was running so rich because of that pinched line that we didn't know was pinched til we were home... I drove the ramcharger and tow dolleyed the Aspen behind it

Fresh paint...Hum wonder how it will look a year or so.
Most likely all the bondo will bubble up start falling out and car will have to come apart to sand all the paint off. Back to square one to fix it correctly. And if next buyer can't do all work themselves basically screwed.

-
Back