• New Bosch

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Used Sunpro

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

Wvbuzzmaster

Reaction score
This will seem strange but the answer may be better than the question. Looking at Sunpro Super Tach 2 (black face 2-5/8) on eBay and I guess the same tach is now made by Bosch. I can get the same gauge for the same price... should I buy new Bosch which will match my other two new Bosch gauges which are mounted 3 foot away, and say made in China on them. Or buy a used Sunpro Tach... knowing that it still matches my gauges and is possibly made of better quality being older? Crap shot I know but looking for a decision lol...

Buy new, if it does not meet your expectations return it.

Buying used is a crap shoot as to how much damage a PO has done to it.

The SunPro Super II tachs were not anything spectacular originally. Not sure if that was the one you are looking at or not.

Buy new.

unless you can get a used one that says it’s working for 1/3 price new.

I paid $5 for this one 25 years ago. Still work fine. Might pay $10 now. Have another with shiny chrome ring face. Might pay $15 now for that one.

upload_2021-6-1_11-25-55.jpeg

Is that the Sun Super mini tach? Sounds like it. I have 2. One in my truck and one in the Valiant. The one in the Valiant works great, but the one in the truck some kinda resistor or something to make it read right with the GM style big cap HEI distributor. It works, but it's not accurate. I'm too lazy to mess with it.

Do you hit or hold on 17???? Its a gamble regardless, I've been pretty lucky so far and have only purchased a couple of items that showed up DOA.

Used, works fine. Tach and a 7.5" circle clamp cost $22 total.

upload_2021-6-1_20-44-34.jpeg

The SunPro Super II tachs were not anything spectacular originally. Not sure if that was the one you are looking at or not.

Buy new.

unless you can get a used one that says it’s working for 1/3 price new.

I paid $5 for this one 25 years ago. Still work fine. Might pay $10 now. Have another with shiny chrome ring face. Might pay $15 now for that one.

View attachment 1715745725
I have a couple myself. They were the cats meow back in the day. They always worked with any ignition

Better to buy new. Hopefully, it will be calibrated...& not with an abacus. Buy used, who knows if it reads accurately.

There is a "Sun" Super tack and "Sunpro" I'm not sure if there is any correlation between the two, but the Sun is vintage. I'd buy a used Sun tach.

I took one of those Sunpro Super TACHs, took the glass face off, cut out the center opening in the rallye dash instrument cluster and slid it up in the opening and stuffed 1/2" foam padding in to hold it in place. It works great and almost looks factory. I think it was a 2 5/8" tach.

20210610_132754.jpg

I took one of those Sunpro Super TACHs, took the glass face off, cut out the center opening in the rallye dash instrument cluster and slid it up in the opening and stuffed 1/2" foam padding in to hold it in place. It works great and almost looks factory. I think it was a 2 5/8" tach.

View attachment 1715750016
That looks liek a clean install man. can you elaborate further on how it stays up in there? do you use any type of clamp? I have a huge auto meter comp tach but i also have the small sunpro I havre the comp on the coulmn off to the side in front of the speedo. (I figure I dont need the speedo) LOL? but I may revert back to the sunpro.

I took the instrument cluster apart and drilled a hole in the plastic face where the tach normally goes but this was a non tach or clock car so it was just a plastic face with a couple of circular lines on it. After taking the glass out of the tach, I used three approx. one inch wide foam strips with the stick on film on one side. I stuck it to the tach longitudinally at 120 degree intervals. The foam was approx. 1/2" thick and very dense. I pushed the tach up in there until the bezel of the tach was up against the edges of the hole I had cut out and took a screwdriver and pushed on the foam all the way up so that it would hold tension on the tach against the front of the instrument cluster. Just had to make sure it was straight in the hole and viola. Sorry, I didn't take any pictures during install.

So, the sticky foam is holding it in the instrument cluster hole in three evenly spaced places it sounds like.

Yes. It's just squeezed up in there. I suppose you could fabricate some kind of strap to go across the back to keep it from backing out but the foam I used was some kind of industrial stuff like insulation. It was in the trunk of a car I bought so I don't know the origin of it. I suppose you could wrap the the stuff all the way around and it would work just as well as long as you can stuff it in there. I just used the three pieces to keep it centered and as dense as it was, I was afraid I couldn't push it up in there if I used too much.

-
Back