Buyer beware - 71 Demon on RJ in NOLA

-

airwoofer

Drivetrain limit explorer
Reaction score
I just got done driving 950 miles to see a 71 Demon I found on Racingjunk.com. The car is down in New Orleans, LA...

http://www.racingjunk.com/Other/181986639/1971-Dodge-Challenger.html

The guy who is selling the car told me it had no rust. Was supposed to have a 440 engine. I* get down there with my trailer and have a look over of the car as it sat on the ground in his shop. Really nice looking car with a few things I would change. We then put it up on his lift and the real truth was there to see under that single stage paint that I would rate a 7+.

It is a bondo job on the rear quarters and rockers. The paint is starting to blister on the right rear quarter and the left trunk extension was patched with some sheet metal and pop rivets before they slathered on the bondo outside. There is bondo visible on the lower part of the rockers.

The engine is NOT a 440! The displacement was hidden by the adapter mounts but the date code is 1963. There were no 440's made in 1963. Probably a 416. The engine is painted red on top but still is orange on the lower part of the block. I did not even ask to hear it run.

The fender tag is missing and in it's place is an old 6A MSD without rev limiter capability.

The fuel system is an unsafe kludge. Rubber fuel line from the pump/regulator goes through the frame in a couple places.

Transmission is a rattle can rebuild.

This guy is a flipper who is underwater on the car and is resorting to lying about the condition to get buyers to see the car. he offeres to meet half way but that is probably so you won't be able to see it from underneath.

Buyer beware - this is a pig with make-up. Too bad too cause I really wanted to buy it but instead I went the 460 miles back home empty trailered.

just out of curiosity...where did the 30 mile detour lead you ?

just out of curiosity...where did the 30 mile detour lead you ?

Had to take a swing by work to use the computer and book a $150 room. Darn hotel was crawling with middle school girls for some kind of cheerleading competition. They used all of the hot water up in the morning!

Had to take a swing by work to use the computer and book a $150 room. Darn hotel was crawling with middle school girls for some kind of cheerleading competition. They used all of the hot water up in the morning!

Now that's funny....

I don't know whether to laugh or cry, LOL

Reminds me of a couple of our hortel fiascos when I was working on E911 systems

Sounds like my first Power Tour...on the way back, I stopped in Pennsylvania, and wound up at a hotel that was hosting the participants in some sort of gymnastics competition. Nothing like opening the door to go get ice (lost the coin toss) and almost getting hit by a kid doing a cartwheel! This bunch used all the hot water in the evening. (So I got up early & showered at ~6am.)

Sure looked nice in the photos.............

Rust free 40+ year old cars are hard to find, but I found one.

Attachments

• 100_3873.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 227
  • 100_3867.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 236
Yeah, for the moolah he is asking I expected much better than a bondo'd lipstick piggy. Really broke my heart cause I wanted that car. Already has the inner fenders hacked so putting in my race BB with fenderwells would have been do-able.

Looks like you have a good'un!

Seems like a pretty good reason to take a cold shower...lmao...

-
Back