Buying a 360 engine , have a couple questions ???

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys , so finally I'm buying a 360 for my car . Going to pick it up tomorrow . This engine comes out of a 1979 ramcharger . I'm gonna put it in my 1973 Dodge Dart . My questions are?

1. Do I need a new oil pan because this motor is out of a truck ?
2. Will the motor mounts out of the ramcharger work with my k member ??
3. ?????? Anything else I'm missing ???

Never done a engine swap , so I'm just trying to figure out if this will work ? Also if there is stuff that I need to make this swap work and somebody could point me in the right direction that would be awesome .

Thank you
Peter.

You need a car 360 oil pan, and no the truck mount brackets will not work in your car

Hey thanks for the response . Ok so I was right on those . Is there anything else I need to make it work .

You need a balanced torque convertor, or easier yet, just by a B&M weighted flexplate

I have a converter that came out of a externally ballanced 360 sitting in my garage . So that should work .

I have a converter that came out of a externally ballanced 360 sitting in my garage . So that should work .

Yes, if its for the same trans you have now, and be carefull about lock up vs non lock up convertors as well.....

Ok I will watch out for that . Ok so torque converter , dufferebt motor mounts , and a car pan . Is that basically it ?

It's got the v8 k member , at least im pretty positive it does .

You should be able to modify your driver side motor mount to work, its pretty simple. Passenger side mount should bolt right on to your 360.

Do you have the same transmission between the two vehicles? Both non lock up?

Well im gonna be using the trans that's bolted up to my 318 , and using a converter that will work with the externally ballanced 360. Now sorry im kinda confused on the lock up or none lock up part

Ok I will watch out for that . Ok so torque converter , dufferebt motor mounts , and a car pan . Is that basically it ?

You will also need the proper oil pump pick-up tube for the car pan. You can get them at Mancini Racing, Summit, or Napa.

Here's a thread to help ID a small block that you may want to look at before going for the engine...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=285021

Also, here's one for the oil pans:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=277430

Well im gonna be using the trans that's bolted up to my 318 , and using a converter that will work with the externally ballanced 360. Now sorry im kinda confused on the lock up or none lock up part

Lock-up transes have no knurl on the end of the input shaft (bell housing side) and non-lock-up don't have knurl to the end of the input shaft...

Lock-up transes hae the knurl on the end of the input shaft (bell housing side) and non-lock-up don't have any knurl on the end tip of the input shaft...

Wow I had no idea about that , thanks for the clarification . Well I pulled that trans twice allready and from what I remember I don't have any kind of knurl on the input shaft , just splines and a smoothe tip .

Lock-up transes have the knurl on the end of the input shaft (bell housing side) and non-lock-up don't have any knurl on the end tip of the input shaft...

Not a knurl, but a smooth diameter much like the nose of a four speed input shaft. Non lock up has the splines cut rght to the nose of the shaft.

You also need to consider exhaust manifolds or headers, the truck manifolds won't work, your 318 ones should but will choke the 360.

Not a knurl, but a smooth diameter much like the nose of a four speed input shaft. Non lock up has the splines cut rght to the nose of the shaft.

You also need to consider exhaust manifolds or headers, the truck manifolds won't work, your 318 ones should but will choke the 360.

Wow am I getting confused hahaha, but I think I got it now . Thanks for the info and pictures . Also I hot hooker comps headers that I will be putting on the 360

the 318 trans is probably a 904, is the 360 convertor from a 904? cuz it may be off a 727 and if so it will not fit a 904. the headers may need a 90 degree oil filter mount, or may fit with a short filter

I say pass and install a Magnum block instead; miles and smiles ahead. It would be cooler if you did.

I would just use the 318 converter and tranny that's in the car, and buy the B&M balanced flex plate, or get the 318 flex plate balanced.

I would just use the 318 converter and tranny that's in the car, and buy the B&M balanced flex plate, or get the 318 flex plate balanced.

I mentioned that in post #6 but I aint sure anyone ever reads previous posts........LOL

The trans that's in my car is a 727 . And the idea of the balanced flexplate is a great idea , which im gonna deff consider when I get the motor , and check with everything . Magnum motor is also I good idea too. I'm buying this 360 from a buddy getting a good deal and i trust him , it's also got aluminum heads on it , I like the weight savings , and a little bit of work . Nothing to crazy .

-
Back