Buying a car from Canada

-

rod440

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice or tips on buying a car from British Columbia ,Canada . I'm planning to pick it up there & tow it back(it is non running).Has anyone here ever done this? Do I need any permits or anything like that? I talked to the U S Border customs in Montana & they said as long as I had proof of ownership they would have no problem letting me through. It's the Canadian part that I'm unsure of. I can't seen to find a phone # for their customs/info for bringing a car across. Thanks for any help & info you guys can provide!

Hi Rod:

I called ICBC (Insurance Corp of British Columbia - the Crown vehicle insurance company) and made an inquiry for you.

In a nutshell, Canada doesn't seem to care what you do if you are taking it to the US. You just need the vehicle registration and bill of sale which a reputable seller will have for you so you can register it back home. They (Govt of BC) don't seem to care about Sales tax or anything either so it sounds like buy it, tow it home and enjoy it. They would only care if the car was transferred from one BC resident to another.

www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca
www.icbc.com

Hope this is helpful

So, you'll be going through the Roosville crossing to Montana then?
I'm from that area, and know it well.
Grasmere is about 10 miles from the Canada/U.S border.
Just curious, is the car in Cranbrook, but is a U.S. car originally?
If it is, i know the guy and the car. Nothing bad, i assure you.
P.M. me if you have any questions......

I bought my 37 Ford coupe from a private party in NB, Canada. It was a horror story. The engine failed 5 miles into the US after I bought it, so I sued in the Canadian courts. Many thousands of dollars later I was told my the court to get the hell out of Canada, it wasn't a pleasant experience!!

I had a lot of trouble getting it licensed and registered here in Calif, I played "fetch a rock" for months. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but go in with your eyes wide open, ask a lot of questions, check with your state's DMV and make sure they will accept the Canadian title and documentation. If anything goes wrong, you won't have much recourse.

This is what i know... being originally from Canada ... the vehicle must be over 25 years old ... then it is a matter of going through border and stopping at customs.. they will fill out a form and you should be good to go... if the car is not over 25 years old .. then you will need to check if vehicle meets specific standards ... go online and check criteria that needs to be met ... but being a 67 ... good to go

DO NOT BUY FROM CAT RESTORATIONS!! There is a huge thread on here warning people.
I would call Canada Customs or Canada Border Sevices. You want to make sure you have all required paperwork. Good luck!

My 2001 VW was Canadian born. It came through the Port of Baltimore and was approved/ okayed by the Department of Homeland security.

Bought a 32 ford pick up from a guy in BC . It was a complete rebuild no vin. Trailered it down to a car show in my town twenty years ago. No hassle with paper work , Had to take
car through customs at the air port then to State patrol to I.D. parts and create a vin. when you do it this way your on a theft list for two years.

You won't have any export issues. We don't do export checks. PM me if you have any other questions. CBSA officer

Riddler

I just brought my Barracuda from Canada to the USA. It was previously noted that any car over 25 years old is no problem at all. You do not have to be concerned with Canadian Customs at all. You will have to fill out some paperwork for US Customs to import the vehicle. They will verify that the VIN on the car matches what you put on the documentation. Piece of cake!!!

-
Back