Buying a CPU

-

ryansiki

Reaction score
I am considering upgrading to a newer CPU, but am concerned about compatibility with my motherboard. My motherboard is an Asus A8N-LA. I am currently using an AMD Athlon 64 3500+, and was looking at a AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+. The motherboard specs say that it supports the following processors:

• AMD Athlon 64 X2 up to 4800+
  • AMD Athlon 64
  • AMD Sempron
    Now I am just curious as to why it only supports up to 4800+? There both AM2 sockets so I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Can anybody shed some light on this?

havent looked into it, but i would guess either the motherboard wont support enough power (no extra power to the cpu) or the 4800+ used a different chip (smaller/made later) they would still be considered the processor but use different chip. i know intel did that with the core 2 duos.
it could be a variety of different reasons.

socket 939 is different than socket am2 thats why

939 can use some X2s but socket am2(940) is a little different.

they make the same processors for both, but since am2 was later, they stoped making them for 939 earlier.

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping a new CPU would hold me off for a while until I can upgrade. I've already been looking at an AMD Phenom ll X6 1055T Black Edition.Since my motherboard is soooo old, I'm gonna have to buy another one,and then I'll need some DDR3 RAM. Hopefully I'll be able to have a kick a$$ computer for under $800. Thanks again.

-
Back