Buying a Resto-mod and the reality......

-

SLOPAR72

Reaction score
He nails it..... Definitely a good PSA for enthusiast who are unaware as to the reality of purchasing a modified car....

JW

Yes, good point. This guy is very good.
Especially at 15:30, where he finds the "hidden" leak.
Not to mention the Emmissions inspections standards required in some locations, if you sell.
Like Oldkimmer is dealing with in AZ, in a previous post.

Last edited:
Yes, good point.
Not to mention the Emmissions inspections standards required in some locations.
Like Oldkimmer is dealing with in AZ, in a previous post.

No crazy music, hot chick in the background, or his latest sponsored Hat on his head. He just lays out what to expect. He makes mention of the high dollar cars at BJ and the reason why and I disagree. Those cars will have the same issues if they are driven. And the reality is most of the cars that go through BJ never see any actual street duty....

JW

Half the video complaining about the fuel system!

I didn’t watch it. I don’t really need to. I would not buy somebody else’s custom creation. Way too many variables to deal with in the future. Good luck to those who buy these swaps. They just don’t come with a dependable Factory Service Manual!

He nails it..... Definitely a good PSA for enthusiast who are unaware as to the reality of purchasing a modified car....

JW

Not disagreeing with what the guy is pointing out but sorry ole buddy but that's hotrodding!
Changing/modifying and upgrading old cars is what most of the hobby is about. As for selling the car, that's the responsibility of the purchacer to determine what he/she is capable of in regards to a modified vehicle. No different than buying a house thats been renovated. If you don't feel comfortable with your knowledge of the car you are considering, get someone with you who is knowledgeable to help you evaluate your purchace.

Great video-
When I was a Service Manager at the Harley dealership, any bikes that were 15 years old or older we charged time and material. Well maintained original bikes were generally low cost out the door, but if it was the opposite then it could get messy. Especially if they had other than a Harley motor and it was "custom" by who knows who.

Well I for one am totally disagreeing with that guy.. my opinion he's a glorified tech and shouldn't be touching that car...
Actually he even said that he wasn't going to touch the car and send it off to some speed shop because I had a carburetor.. what he should recommend to the owner is to spend $150 and put a wideband O2 sensor in it... That's a simple carburetor conversion and a simple MSD conversion I mean 3/4 of the Forum has that...
I will agree most shops don't work on carbureted cars anymore cuz the Young tech's in there don't know how to adjust them..
It's even a 73 so there shouldn't be any DEQ problems whatsoever. Any state that I know of that still has emissions is 75 and above...
The first 7 minutes is all I could take of this guy...
It's a Street demon... Not a demon...
Edit: the street demon with smaller primaries is built for throttle response and a little bit of economy LOL it's not a race carburetor for the most part... (Like a demon..) not to say people don't race with them I do...

Last edited:
Nice advertisement for the fans that are keeping them cool. Lol.

Personally I'd have used the efi on a LS swap. Why bother with the swap if not using the technology? I say the same with gen 3 heli swaps.

That being said, there are plenty of guys out there that will tune a carb. This guy is making way too much of that crap. Couldn't watch anymore after all the crying about the carb.

A guy that has no mechanical ability will have problems no matter what old car he buys. Just the way it is.

I agree with AAndrews and jpar, while I do agree this video is informative, swapping engines differ trans, etc IS hotrodding , if you buy a resto mod and don't know how to fix things then be prepared to PAY, otherwise do it yourself! I also agree with the Wizard that most shops don't know about carbs it really is a shame and I dying art, some of us grew up ONLY knowing carbs, personally I find them WAY easier than injection , I have two sons 30 and 27 both have hot rodded Mopars and I taught both about carbs in fact both there mopars have carbs, there ARE shops that still do them you just have to ask first. I completely re-wired my 56 pick up, sure wished I had done a wiring diagram oh well the boys will have to figure it out when I pass it on to them cause I ain't get rid of it! Lol

I made it about 45 seconds into the video before I had enough...

-
Back