Buying a used rear end what should I look at to see if it's in good condition????

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Hey guys , found a rear end on Craigslist . 8 3/4 741 case posi with 3.54 gear in it that I wanna pick up . The guy wants 450$ for it , supposedly it's got 1000 miles on it . I was wondering if that's a fair price and what do I need to look at when I go to check it out , so I don't buy a busted rear end Haha?

Thanks
Peter

is it an a body rear? if so 450 is not bad for a core rear if its complete drum to drum

if its not an a body rear than 250 is more in-line.

either way you have to pull the drums and axles, then to remove the center section you have to unbolt the 14 or so nuts holding it to the housing. if its not in the car, its sucks to do on jack stands. pick up a service manual, it will serve you well

Hey yea it's a a body rear 741 case , positraction and aftermarket 3.54 gear ring and pinion . Also sorry it's just the third member . Reason i was asking I only see them going for a lot more like 800$ in my area. This sounds like a good deal to me . But I don't wanna go and buy and busted third member haha . That's why I was wondering if there is certain things I could look at to see if it's I ln good shape .

check the wear pattern on the drive side of the gears. google or you-tube it could explain better than i can in a post.

also ask questions like how many miles, new bearings / gears? large or small yoke? if you wanted to go nuts can you get a dial indicator and check backlash etc.

Ok I will youtube the video and go from there I guess . Thanks for the info . I totally agree with you . But I've never seen any around where I'm from , for cheaper than that . Maybe it's the Midwest Mopar tax haha . But seriously all I've seen is ones for 800$ to 1000$

yikes..you can get new for 1000, so I think 50 cents on the dollar for good rebuilt used is fair....less for 40 year or parts with unknown history ...offer 300 if it's a cone type sure grip it's all it's worth.

-
Back