Buying old Mopars in 2012

-
im not going to bash but the deal killer here for me is the lack of operational factory gauges , what appears to be wavy bodywork, the car was originally gold, that chevy black engine bay . pull that motor out and you have a $5,000 car, IMO

Not jumping on the bandwagon, but am I the only one that noticed the patch holes where fenderwell headers used to be?

...back on topic.

See, this is what I am talking about. Anyone that knows anything about A bodies (most of us here, 'natch) can see right through this car. The problems are so clear but the guy selling it does not even realize. or maybe he does and is trying to put one over on someone.

Again, guy gets money pit and expects return/profit. This is the kind of thinking that puts decent cars out of reach for a large majority of those of us looking for project cars. Yeah it runs, looks 'OK' from 20 feet but the price is so over inflated no one in their right mind would even think of buying this thing for close to what he wants. But I guess that's the roll of the dice the seller plays, maybe he'll hook someone. Probably another Chivvy dude like himself who 'wants to get into Mopars'.

Is this the way it is with other makes?

it would seem to me that some of the "bonuses" , (not that there are any lol) in the GM world is this; half of the car is already semi gloss black. the body comes off the frame and painted black. 99% of these cars wore black undercoating. you can identify what size engine came in the car , but you cannot ID the specific engine block or trans the car was born with a VIN number. plus you can buy virtually every part from a vendor. this is what seperates a mopar from the rest of the crowd when it comes to high dollar matching number hemi and six pack cars. in the chevy world you can stick about any 427 in a 427 body and call it "matching numbers" . i guess im stirring the pot and got off topic. all i know is that a lot of these chevy people that buy mopars to flip them, really have no clue how they were put together or what constitutes a "matching numbers" original to a 440 duster that was never built and they are simply trying to rape someone else with it that doesnt know either. ok, let the axes fly :D

[QUOTE

Is this the way it is with other makes?[/QUOTE]
Of course. My brother is a pontiac nut and decided to go buy his dream car, an early GTO. 10 hours one way and $400 lighter in the wallet, he was pissed. Said if he did`nt have his boys with him he`d punch the guy in the nose. lol, The car was misrepresented so bad. But it did look real good in the pics. Good thing he laid his eyes on it:protest:

See, this is what I am talking about. Anyone that knows anything about A bodies (most of us here, 'natch) can see right through this car. The problems are so clear but the guy selling it does not even realize. or maybe he does and is trying to put one over on someone.

Again, guy gets money pit and expects return/profit. This is the kind of thinking that puts decent cars out of reach for a large majority of those of us looking for project cars. Yeah it runs, looks 'OK' from 20 feet but the price is so over inflated no one in their right mind would even think of buying this thing for close to what he wants. But I guess that's the roll of the dice the seller plays, maybe he'll hook someone. Probably another Chivvy dude like himself who 'wants to get into Mopars'.

Exactly why I wanted to buy your Dart.

Exactly why I wanted to buy your Dart.

Man, I wish you could have bought it! It's in 860 CT actually, I can put you in touch with the guy if you want... he was kind of an A-body 'novice', I answered a lot of questions.:D

Hey, maybe it would be fun to start calling out the obvious flippers and fantasy land fishermen here. Perhaps there needs to be a WIW forum where we can post up these ridiculous cars and 'discuss'.

A few years back when I bought this POS I made a few very bad mistakes that has cost me a lot of time and money. I was looking for a turn-key car for around 10k. Nothing perfect, but a great driver. This one was listed as "99% complete and ready for someone to take it to that next level". The first mistake was being extra nice to the seller and chatting it up over the phone for his "I lost my job sob and have to sell it" story. The Second was going to see the car at night. The third was not looking completely underneath the car, under the carpet, trunk etc.. The Shiny Black paint, new carpet and seats led me to ASSUME (DOH!) that this car was going to be a turn-key car i could maintain and drive. He had told me that the dash wiring and gauges were just checked and rebuilt, the engine recently rebuilt, all the brakes redone.....and plenty other straight out lies that I didn't find out until I had it home for a week. It drove home great and I was a happy clam.

Within a week I found out the entire Suspension was shot, Head Gasket leaked, Radiator completely clogged, overheated, gauges stopped working, alternator didn't work, just about everything mechanical and electrical needed to be redone. I got f-ing took by this a-hole and it is entirely my dumb*ss fault. Oh well, now I have so much time and money in this car I'll never be able to get rid of it.

So I can see why most buyers are scrutinizing jerks. I wish I was.
bfa4f248.jpg
I'm confused. Are you calling this beautiful Black Fish a POS??

Hey, maybe it would be fun to start calling out the obvious flippers and fantasy land fishermen here. Perhaps there needs to be a WIW forum where we can post up these ridiculous cars and 'discuss'.
i think an official WIW thread is a great call. a place to post cars in the WIW? column and scrutinize.

While looking for a dodge dart/demon/sport I came across 2 people that had adds up but when I talked to them on the phone they acted as though they had no intention of even selling the car.

Run around answers to simple questions. Asking to go look at the car was like asking to meet them in a dark alley in the worst part of town.

It is getting worse too. Ive been looking for a small truck for the past 2 months.. People just dont have any motivation to do any work at all and think they can sell these cars/trucks for crazy amounts of cash.

Got it. If that Black paint looks as good in person, it was worth the headache's of the mechanical stuff.

It doesn't. It takes really great pictures, and looks great cruising by , but that was kinda my point. Don't be seduced by her shiny looks. Under her pretty dress is a giant, warty, hairy, c*ck that loves to rape checking accounts.

Don't get me wrong, after all of my time and effort I'm really proud of the car, was just bitter about the initial price I paid for Assuming, (hurts to even type the word), that the mechanical etc. was represented by the purty looks.

This car was the equivalent of a yard find that got painted and carpeted, new seats and tires and sold as "99% done".

It doesn't. It takes really great pictures, and looks great cruising by , but that was kinda my point. Don't be seduced by her shiny looks. Under her pretty dress is a giant, warty, hairy, c*ck that loves to rape checking accounts.

Don't get me wrong, after all of my time and effort I'm really proud of the car, was just bitter about the initial price I paid for Assuming, (hurts to even type the word), that the mechanical etc. was represented by the purty looks.

This car was the equivalent of a yard find that got painted and carpeted, new seats and tires and sold as "99% done".
I can see your point. I guess the bright side is how rare these older Mopars are getting. It can only appreciate in value and eventually should be a "wise" investment.

-
Back