Buying old Mopars in 2012

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
So I recently bought a new-to-me ride. (will follow up with a post in a week or two) This is not about that but the actual process of buying the thing. I wanted to share my recent adventures in car buying to see if its as tough out there for everyone else as it was for me.

I looked for a long time, over several years. I bought and sold 5 cars myself over that time but finally arrived at what I hope is a keeper.

So here's my first observation - if you're trying to sell a car on the internet, HOW THE F*CK DO YOU NOT POST PICTURES? I mean honestly, how do you expect anyone to take your ad seriously? I did actually end up reading through some ads that didn't have pictures (I like to be thorough) but come on, this is basic stuff at this point. It's not like 1998 where this technology was still emerging. Anybody should be able to snap a few pictures and upload them to a computer. I can't tell you how many potential vehicles I didn't even bother with because the seller was too lazy to put up even one image. This even goes for some more expensive cars, like over $20K asking price. Gotta love it when the guy says pics available for serious buyers only. How can I be a serious buyer if I can't see what the hell I am looking at?:banghead:

Then there's the next ad that does actually have pictures but they're from 20 feet away. Any car I was considering, I would answer the ad and start the inquiry by saying "I know it's a pain to send more pics but can you show me this, that and the other thing?" I was very specific. When I sell cars, parts etc., I usually try to post as many clear pictures as necessary. If someone asks for something else, I usually oblige. But often I would get grainy cell phone pics from further away, pictures taken at night or none of what I asked for. Insane.

Clearly, prices these days are through the roof. That's probably obvious but when you really start seeing what people are asking for lower level project cars you might get a real understanding of just how warped things have become. I really thought (hoped) that the buy in was coming down a bit because of the economy but not really. Guys still think its 2006 and their rusty, beat-up crap that's missing everything is somehow worth $100K. :finga:

Then there's the down right dis courteousness. Sometimes I'd get the idea I was really bothering someone by asking questions about the car they were trying to sell. Or the basic email inquiries without a reply. Yeah, this happens in every facet of life but it's seriously frustrating when you're trying to give someone money for something they have. Why even bother? Keep your piece of **** car. I like to think I have pretty thick skin (heck, I work at a dealership) but it's bothersome when this type of stuff is the norm.

This wasn't meant to be a rant and no, I'm not really surprised at all by any of this. I am though just a little demoralized by the lack of basic decency. I guess I hope/expect that the guy on the other end would share my passion for these cars and would be excited to talk Mopars with someone, even just for a few minutes. Seems like that might be a rare occurrence these days.

I remember buying cars before the internet. There were the same unsavory characters then too, the same shady tactics, the same crummy cars. Somehow though, it just seemed a little bit more honest. Maybe that's hindsight, not sure.

Ultimately, I did find what I was looking for but it was across the country. I had someone go check out the car for me and he confirmed it was a good deal. The seller turned out to be great and easy to deal with so I pulled the trigger. Luckily I was in the right place at the right time and had the ability to complete the deal. Hopefully if all goes as planned, I'll be out of the game for a good while.

Anyone else care to share recent car buying experience, good or bad?

- Greg

Hell dude, it ain't easy trying to sell one either.
Before you totally go off on sellers attitudes, consider what some of them are going through. I posted my other car up on here, the B site and Craigslist. I didn't even get a comment out of nearly two thousand views between the "forbody" sites. What I did get from the Craigslist ads were hard to determine. I had a few that said "It's a good price, give me your paypal address and I will deposit the funds immediately". Then they go on to say they are at sea right now so if I give them my phone number, address, and whatnot, they will arrange for a transport company to come and pick up the car. Sure, no problem.

Or, you get endlessly asked for pictures from folks with no names or contact info.
Or, you get folks who without intro, names or further ado, ask "What's the least you'll take for it?" My reply usually is that it depends on what the most they'll pay for it is.

Do I get a little testy? Yep. I put a lot of work into my car. I put a lot of care into the work that I have done to it. I try to be honest in my description of the car in the ad and welcome all questions. Sometimes it can be really hard to tell the honest inquiries from the tire kickers or spammers. Did I price my car a bit high? Yep. Is it what I want for it? Not really, but it would be nice. I won't put what I think I will sell it for, because someone will always try and talk you down from that.

I wish you luck on your new car and look forward to seeing the post on it.

You are referring to the "craigslist flakes". I have bought many things thru craigslist, especially large items that are best bought local, but you must wade thru the flakes to find serious sellers. In addition to the laziness and "whatever" attitudes you mention is that since craigslist ads are free, people try astronomical prices there first, based on something they think they saw on Mercum Auctions. If no suckers, they usually wind up on ebay where the market decides. I first saw my 65 Dart on craigslist at $1800. I was tempted to go look since 6 miles away and claimed "recently painted, just needs trim re-attached". Ran across it later on ebay at $700 w/ 1 hr left and tripped the reserve at $1000 in the last minute. It arrived with a $4500 written on the window from their first attempt. Turned out it had been abandoned at a paint shop ~4 years prior then sat outside in the valley sun. Also a bit rusty for Sacramento, so probably correct at $1K since a V-8 GT.

I will only say, trying to sell a car thru any means in today,s day and age can be frustrating, especially, if it's a high dollar car. There is probably 99% of the prospectives that won't buy. But, it's part of the game.
But as a seller you better have alot of decent shots, that are high quality of photos to send when your asked. Not everyone is computer friendly, but we can teach those that aren't.

Believe me, selling a car is WAY more difficult. People will feed you all kinds of crap trying to get your car for nothing. It's eye opening. I posted about low ballers here too.

Prime example, I have a beat up $500 Jetta I've been trying to get rid of the last few months. I had one guy stand me up THREE times for it. Another guy called me day and night for a week then when I told him to come get the car, no reply.

I am just just surprised at how feckless people are about what they're selling. I mean come on, I am trying to GIVE you money for something you have. At least put a little effort into it.

Guess its par for the course though. Possibly why car guys get a bad rap sometimes, I have an easier time dealing with my three year old.

Well, just like anything else, you have to identify your buyers and sellers, and be aware of what you are selling and buying. I have my GTX for sale right now and have had a few people come and look at it. I am looking for the buyer who wants to own this car and enjoy it like I did, but it seems that the only people out there with $$ to spend right now are the flippers, who want it for cheep so they can make a buck on it. Nothing wrong with that but there is not much meat on the bone in my deal for the flippers. I know what it's worth, even in todays economy, and so do they so I haven't come accross the right buyer yet.

I don't have it on craigslist because I have listed cars there before and have had all manner of unsavory characters call, come see cars, throw ridiculously low offers on stuff and I just don't want to deal that way. I know every inch of my cars and don't need someone to tell me what a piece of crap they think it is just so I'll sell it for next to nothing to them.

Did I tell y'all about the guy who came to look at my 66 convertible at 11:00pm?? Oh, that was fun!! I think he came straight from the bar!! And after beating it down for a couple of hours, and taking it on a test drive at midnight, he had the nerve to call me a couple days later and ask if it was still for sale. When I told him yes, he informed me that he was right, and that I should take his ridiculous offer because he was the only buyer who wanted that piece of chit!!! Oh yea bud, I'm gonna sell it to you!!!

OK, rant over, patience grasshopper, sounds like Rm got it right and used patience and restraint, and I'm doing the same. Thanks for the soapbox Rm, and good luck with your new project!! Geof

Heres my take at on buying a car now. Throwing a paint job on a car in your car tent does not make it restored, spray painting the motor does not make it restored, A new carpet does not make it restore, combining these 3 things does not make it worth $12k. The hobby is full of flippers that are half assing cars and skipping all the details then asking stupid prices for them and driving prices through the roof.

Heres my take at on buying a car now. Throwing a paint job on a car in your car tent does not make it restored, spray painting the motor does not make it restored, A new carpet does not make it restore, combining these 3 things does not make it worth $12k. The hobby is full of flippers that are half assing cars and skipping all the details then asking stupid prices for them and driving prices through the roof.

Sounds about right Adam. Some of the 'paint jobs' are pretty scary too. Everyone's favorite is the rattle can black engine bay.

Or how about Ye Olde 'built 318'. That one makes me chuckle every time.

And every guy out there with a crap box Dart or Duster always has way more invested than his asking price.

its hard in both direction answer 500 emails from spamers 14 year olds or folks who cant or wont read what you actually have, want to pay u less than scrap price etc.
i still believe if you want to buy you have to beat the bushes. I go see as many cars as i can pics on the net or not. if you dont you are gonna miss the GREAT deal cause there are a million guys who only wanna go by pics to see if the car is worth a 2nd look. i take the first look in person if its any where near local

How about the ads that say "high miles, but all highway"...just tell me the f*ing number of miles.

Or "needs new transmission, engine, whatever, so I knocked $100 of the kbb price and it's a steal of a deal"

Just plain irritating.

[/I]
I agree totally i have been looking for a car for awhile now and finally found one that needs a lot of work but at least I know what i am starting with. I can't even count how many cars I looked at that people said were drivers and eithe were rusted so bad underneath or had other issues that it would have meant trailering the car and not being able to drive it anyway. Eventough the car i got does need a lot of work and will take some time to complete atleast when it is done i know it will be right and i will feel safe taking my wife and kids with.

Exactly, It may be cheaper to buy a finished car but you never know whats under that shiny paint. If it doesnt come with a bunch of photos and documentation, dont pay top dollar for it and dont be surprised when the paint and filler start to bubble,m you find out the suspension is is wasted and the motor blows smoke on start up.

having the lack of pictures goes to show (or not lol) how serious they are about selling it or that they are trying to hide the true condition of said vehicle. they are asking 5-20k for a car without pictures. they have 15k invested but cant afford a frickin camera? seriously? it takes me 20 seconds to snap a photo, send it to my email and 5 seconds to save it to my computer. even here, there was a car posted for 2,000 bucks. car needed a little work, a 6 cylinder car. i complained about no pics. poster finally posted pics. this thing was a beat down POS $400 4 door drum brake car that didnt really run. it wasnt until the pics came up that we even knew it was a 4 door. so trying to entice people to drive 30 or 50 miles to look at something without pics is just going to hardly ever work. if there are no pics, most of the time i just move along. i love the CL adds. these guys trying to sell rims and tires, no pics, no bolt patterns, no sizes and the add reads "call for details and sizes" seriously? are you just frickin lonely and need to hear your phone ring? i will never understand why it has to be so hard to give any details and pics. will email pics? dude, if you can email pics, you can post them. if you have pics in your mailbox, right click and save them to your puter , it takes 2 seconds, then you can post them anywhere. i am all about pics, i post pics every chance i get, and even just for the hell of it. i just dont understand. i love the adds that say "must see" REALLY? if you put up some pics we could SEE it !! im not driving 40 miles round trip and burning up my now pricy gas to look at a rusted out POS that you were to frickin lazy to post some pics of LMAO sorry rant over.

having the lack of pictures goes to show (or not lol) how serious they are about selling it or that they are trying to hide the true condition of said vehicle. they are asking 5-20k for a car without pictures. they have 15k invested but cant afford a frickin camera? seriously? it takes me 20 seconds to snap a photo, send it to my email and 5 seconds to save it to my computer. even here, there was a car posted for 2,000 bucks. car needed a little work, a 6 cylinder car. i complained about no pics. poster finally posted pics. this thing was a beat down POS $400 4 door drum brake car that didnt really run. it wasnt until the pics came up that we even knew it was a 4 door. so trying to entice people to drive 30 or 50 miles to look at something without pics is just going to hardly ever work. if there are no pics, most of the time i just move along. i love the CL adds. these guys trying to sell rims and tires, no pics, no bolt patterns, no sizes and the add reads "call for details and sizes" seriously? are you just frickin lonely and need to hear your phone ring? i will never understand why it has to be so hard to give any details and pics. will email pics? dude, if you can email pics, you can post them. if you have pics in your mailbox, right click and save them to your puter , it takes 2 seconds, then you can post them anywhere. i am all about pics, i post pics every chance i get, and even just for the hell of it. i just dont understand. i love the adds that say "must see" REALLY? if you put up some pics we could SEE it !! im not driving 40 miles round trip and burning up my now pricy gas to look at a rusted out POS that you were to frickin lazy to post some pics of LMAO sorry rant over.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

these guys trying to sell rims and tires, no pics, no bolt patterns, no sizes and the add reads "call for details and sizes" seriously? are you just frickin lonely and need to hear your phone ring? i will never understand why it has to be so hard to give any details and pics.
I have to imagine in some of these cases, they don't want the original owner to recognize his /her stolen goods.

I feel pretty lucky after reading all this, and buying and selling stuff via the computer.
I found my car 110 miles away and he had pics posted on Craigslist.
I talked to the guy and he seemed straight up, and really didn't want to sell the car but had another baby due soon and couldn't do what he wished he could with the car.
Within two days of finding the car I sold my 86 motorhome that got 5 miles to the gallon so I could get the car, AND sold it for more than I was asking (Woman offered 200 extra to hold it for her till she got here)

Next day drove down to pick up the car and the guy drove it to meet us.
Test drove it, handed the guy the money and drove it 110 miles back home with no problems.

I do realize I'm pretty damn lucky some times.

I stay in touch with the seller on a regular basis to keep him up on everything being done to the car, and promised him first shot at it if I ever decide to sell it.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I have to imagine in some of these cases, they don't want the original owner to recognize his /her stolen goods.
exactly my thoughts. if there are no pics, it is suspicious. in this day and age, even my cheap *** cell phone takes pics and has the internet to communicate to my Gmail account. total service? 35 bucks a month. if they want you to drive out there to see merchandise without pics, my feeling is there is something wrong with the whole situation. i bought my duster off of craigslist. there was one pic. the lazy *** kept making excuses for not sending me more pics of the interior, the trunk, the quarter extensions, etc,etc. i finally decided to drive 40 miles to go look at it. granted the thing was 99% rust free and no undercoating,original paint and had never been wrecked, which is the only reason i bought it. had it been a rust bucket , i would have let him know my thoughts about driving 80 miles round trip to see it, i got lucky. this is the original CL pic and the only one i had to work with

Attachments

• dust.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 479
i still believe if you want to buy you have to beat the bushes. I go see as many cars as i can pics on the net or not. if you dont you are gonna miss the GREAT deal cause there are a million guys who only wanna go by pics to see if the car is worth a 2nd look. i take the first look in person if its any where near local
+1 on this. Lot's of Cars for sale with no pictures by People with no Internet access or no Tech skills. Get a 3 car trailer and drive across I-40 and you'll find 3 cars worth buying. the more original the better so You CAN see exactly what you're getting. If it's too rusty for than move on but at least if there not smothered in Bondo you know the real deal. Pictures are nice too but too many cars out there that aren't on the Web.

+1 on this. Lot's of Cars for sale with no pictures by People with no Internet access or no Tech skills. Get a 3 car trailer and drive across I-40 and you'll find 3 cars worth buying. the more original the better so You CAN see exactly what you're getting. If it's too rusty for than move on but at least if there not smothered in Bondo you know the real deal. Pictures are nice too but too many cars out there that aren't on the Web.
very true. but people pushing high dollar cars without even a single pic is just ludacris

I agree 100%. The folk's selling thier rusted out junk these days paid too much back in 2006 when everyone thought nothing was wrong with the massivly inflated prices.So they dont want to take a loss. Well too bad,you paid too much to begin with.

I had a guy demand $400 for a rusty clutch pedal assy andeven after I PROVED the market value of his part's to him he still would not negotiate. These are the types who should not be collecting and selling parts,the hoarders. They efffectively clean out an area of part's,creating an artificial vacuum of part's,and then they set the prices to whatever the f$%ck they want and try to tell you that the prices will never come down,that we pay more for mopar because it's better.What fools. The truth is your creating an illegal monopoly which suites only you. The best thing that could ever happen to folks like this is they die and thier parts get auctioned off,lol..

very true. but people pushing high dollar cars without even a single pic is just ludacris
Good point! If you're on the net posting a car then Pics are a given nowadays. Even everyday items like guitars etc... need a good picture section to help sell them. I've been Selling Basses on Ebay for 10 years +/- and it really an art to have a good listing. Ending at the right time in the evening, Proper descriptions, Etc....
I hate the old "Sorry for the crappy cell phone pictures" line. You can get a fantastic digital camera for under $100. LOL

I agree 100%. The folk's selling thier rusted out junk these days paid too much back in 2006 when everyone thought nothing was wrong with the massivly inflated prices.So they dont want to take a loss. Well too bad,you paid too much to begin with.

I had a guy demand $400 for a rusty clutch pedal assy andeven after I PROVED the market value of his part's to him he still would not negotiate. These are the types who should not be collecting and selling parts,the hoarders. They efffectively clean out an area of part's,creating an artificial vacuum of part's,and then they set the prices to whatever the f$%ck they want and try to tell you that the prices will never come down,that we pay more for mopar because it's better.What fools. The truth is your creating an illegal monopoly which suites only you. The best thing that could ever happen to folks like this is they die and thier parts get auctioned off,lol..
LOL, I call this the Flea Market Mentality, Ridiculous prices, then it don't sell so they have to pack it all back up only to bring it back next week and not sell it again.
A guy ran the same ad for years. It said "Free Fill dirt wanted' "Free delivery a must." It's still in the Warren County NJ Treasure Hunt I believe.

I share these frustrations. It is unbelievable that anyone who "knows Mopars" or whatever wouldn't know what parts of the car to take a picture of (if its an A-body, show pics of the rear spring boxes! HELLO?!). People try to hide behind a supposed ignorance of the technical issues to hide big issues with the car.

When I sell a car, I take a bunch of pics. i post a couple of the best ones in the ad along with a link to the photobucket gallery where the rest of the pics are. This doesn't entirely stop the requests for more pics, but it helps. Its a HUGELY easy way to do it (and free). I can't understand why more people don't do it that way or similar. of course I'm trying to sell stuff honestly. If you're not, thats not the best way to go! LOL

One thing that is very frustrating about selling Mopars is trying to get a bead on what price to sell for. There isn't really a good way to get an idea from "comparables" because there are so many cracksmoker sellers out there, and of course, all the buyers tell you your price is too high. On top of all that, the prices fluctuate hugely based on the (job) market, part of the country, etc.

Craigslist has its issues, but there is something funny I've noticed about online forums like this one, Moparts, etc. The prices tend to be on the high side of optimistic, and the buyers tend to want a giveaway price! Its no picnic for sure.

Craigslist has its issues, but there is something funny I've noticed about online forums like this one, Moparts, etc. The prices tend to be on the high side of optimistic, and the buyers tend to want a giveaway price! Its no picnic for sure.
I will always sell my dart for $1000 more than I have in it. No less. I'll just keep it rather than barely break even or lose money. But I didn't way overpay for it either. I try to be very smart/careful not to put more into it than it's worth but that's nearly impossible. It's easy to get $10,000 into a car that's only worth $7,500 when you're done but that's just part of it. That's the frustrating part. Someone will tell you it's only worth x-amount and you're in it for more.:wack:

LOL in defense of the "sorry for the crappy cell phone pics" LOL , i am guilty of this. BUT, i have at least included a pic so that when i am describing something, people can get a general idea of what they are looking at. i would rather have a crappy pic than just a blank white screen with words. people need to get an idea of what is being described and make a judgement as to whether or not it is something they might be interested in. a pic also sparks curiosity where a blank screen doesnt IMO

-
Back