By way of Indiana to California to Hawaii

-
Reaction score
Hi all.

In 1965, in Lafayette, Indiana, my uncle purchased a 4-door Plymouth Valiant for his father, my grandfather. He had just graduated from Purdue University in West Lafayette, and was on his way home to Hawaii to deliver the car. He drove it nearly three-quarters across the United States to California, where he put it on a Matson ship and took it back to Hawaii, for a total of $150. I still have both the receipt of the shipping and the returned check for payment of the car.

I practically grew up in this car.

When my grandfather passed away in 1992, I started driving it when I got my license. No one else wanted to. Compared to the cars of the time, it was a grandma car - no power brakes, no power steering, no a/c, no fm radio, even - it lacked every creature comfort most cars after 1980 have. The car had 42,000 miles on the block. My grandparents were of the generation that were exceedingly thrifty, and would only drive the car once a week, usually, just to visit relatives on the other side of the island. Most of their daily commute they did by public transportation, to save money. And, being garaged for practically three decades, the car was in beautiful condition.

I have a ton of family history tied up in this car. And I am the only one that wants to keep working on it. In 2003, I officially acquired the car in my name for $1.

In 2008 when the market crashed, I lost my job. I had to move back home to my parents house, where the car sat, for 2 1/2 years, with no garage, while I struggled to make ends meet and get back on my feet.

valiant-2.jpg

She's acquired a ton of body rust but the car still runs. A few months ago I decided I had some extra cash to get the car working again. We did a lot of work to the car over the years, mainly, to add life to the car by using parts that were easier to find:

- Large bolt pattern 7.25 rear end with 10" drums from a 76 Duster
- Electronic ignition conversion
- Slant 6 and 904 Torqueflite from a 71 Dart

Etc.

The goal is to get the Valiant mechanically sound first, then worry about the rust later. This forum seems pretty active and hopefully, I can find some of the harder-to-find parts either here or via outside sources.

There's a lot more work to do, including but not limited to a front drum to disc conversion from the same Duster in Salem OR that donated the rear end.

Anyway, it's great to meet you all.

Matt

Welcome Matt I have a 64 Valiant myself great cars

Welcome! If you need some 65 Valiant parts, I know someone in Aiea who has some. Last time I was there he had some bucket seats, fenders, and quite a bit of other 65 Valiant parts.

Welcome!! Car looks great!! Keep reading this site, you will find lot's of good advice & a wealth of information.

Lawrence

Welcome! If you need some 65 Valiant parts, I know someone in Aiea who has some. Last time I was there he had some bucket seats, fenders, and quite a bit of other 65 Valiant parts.

Hey Craig, how's it going? If you're talking about Joe, he gave me parts off that light blue 65 you used to have. Unfortunately, all the rust in is in areas that can't just be replaced. Would probably have to get a welder eventually and fab up some patch panels. These A-bodies always have rust in the same places - front windshield channel... top of the firewall where the water is supposed to drain out of the air vents... etc.

Anyway, work in progress. Are you still out in Vegas?

Welcome to FABO.

God damn that car looks familiar.

65 Valiant V200, manual brakes, manual steering, no A/C, AM radio. Only difference is I have a 273.

IMG_0047.jpg

Welcome to FABO Matt!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Looking forward to seeing more pictures - We love pictures!

Great stroy about the car. Good luck in fixing it up.

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• DSC06603.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 92
-
Back