Bypass hose for LA block with Magnum intake

-

64physhy

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a bypass hose, but can't find one that fits. I've tried the regular one and looked for something that would fit, but haven't found anything.
It's an LA 360 block with Magnum heads and Airgap intake (Magnum). Normally, the bypass hose connects to the intake right by the thermostat housing, but on this intake, it's toward the driver side. Tried using a regular piece of hose, but it just kinks.
I'm sure I'm not the first to run into this problem. What's the solution?

Go to Napa and have them look up your regular hose in their book. There are pictures of your hose and on the same page as yours you should be able to find what you need by looking at the other hoses and their measurements. I was in Napa a few weeks ago and seen what you need but I dont have any part numbers. Should be a piece of cake.

Just got a thought. Could I run a hose from the heater hose outlet on the water pump to the bypass inlet on the intake and cap off the bypass? It would still be getting that bypass coolant, just not as much. All I need is a 3/4" NPT fitting with a 5/8 "nipple, which I have found, and a piece of 5/8" hose with a 90 degree bend, which I have also found. I also have an NPT plug that's just the right size to plug the bypass outlet on the water pump. Sounds like a lot, but I think it's easier than trying to find a 1" hose with the right bend and twist to reach from the bypass.

P1010362.JPG

Just got a thought. Could I run a hose from the heater hose outlet on the water pump to the bypass inlet on the intake and cap off the bypass? It would still be getting that bypass coolant, just not as much. All I need is a 3/4" NPT fitting with a 5/8 "nipple, which I have found, and a piece of 5/8" hose with a 90 degree bend, which I have also found. I also have an NPT plug that's just the right size to plug the bypass outlet on the water pump. Sounds like a lot, but I think it's easier than trying to find a 1" hose with the right bend and twist to reach from the bypass.

I have a M1 Single Plane Intake on mine and the nipple that comes off the intake is EXACTLY where yours is. I used the stock hose on mine and I run a heater core so I used all the connections. It does look like you used a LONGER nipple on the intake than I did but you could possibly still get the hose on it.

Here is a picture of my Intake etc. I originally went to NAPA because I thought the hose wouldnt work but I was wrong.

410 stroker motor 026.jpg

002.jpg

410 stroker motor 026.jpg

002.jpg

It does look like it's in the same place, but set back about 1/2" and with a shorter nipple. It might work with a shorter nipple, but it definitely does not with this long one. I think they even have the shorter nipples like yours at the Kragen down the street. I'll give it a shot. Thanks. BTW, have you had any troubles running stock pulleys? I used to throw belts like crazy on a torquey other-than-Mopar car I once had.

No it doesnt throw belts or anything. Just explodes Alternators and Dampers............haaaaaaaaaa

Try what Justin says, cut the hose or the nipple. That should fix the issue.

I'd rather cap it than run a NAPA hose.

I know, how many times ya gotta break down on the side of the road over that pos hose that you can do with out anyways, it relieves pressure, hence why it's always swelling up before it pops.

I'm just too lazy to cap mine.

btw you guys all got sum purty motors thar.lol

No it doesnt throw belts or anything. Just explodes Alternators and Dampers............haaaaaaaaaa

I had a torque converter take a sudden crap at WOT, it threw the belt when it hit a zillion RPM's, the alternator spun for like another two minutes after I shut off the car.

I know, how many times ya gotta break down on the side of the road over that pos hose that you can do with out anyways, it relieves pressure, hence why it's always swelling up before it pops.

I'm just too lazy to cap mine.

So I am not the only one! I actually collect all the 20+ year old OEM hoses I can get, the new hoses are made real thin. I have had more of them things explode at the top of the bend than I like to admit, not to metnion the steam of the coolant tastes so good.

That is funny but not funny!!:-D

Yep, headers evaporating tranny fluid, alernator zinging, no fire extinguisher, me crapping myself........ I thought for sure my car was going to go up in smoke. You know, that fluid from the TC made it up into the engine compartment, even had some in the grill... (I also have a very hard headed bad opinion of TCI converters, because of it)

I used to throw power steering hoses before I fixed the pulley alignment.

Have you ever noticed that somtimes misalignment keeps the belts on? Strange but true.

Yeah I guess, like depending on which way the pulley is out?

for instance if the pulley is at least in line but outward a lil it would make sense, maybe if I'm not mistaken, that it would hold it on.

-
Back