Bypass Hose

-

Mopar Al

MOPAR AL
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if it is possible to eliminate the bypass hose between the water pump and the intake manifold? Thanks, Al.

The bypass allows the water to circulate inside the engine while the thermostat has the radiator blocked out of the loop. If you block the bypass the cylinder heat will be uneven.
Delete the thermostat and you could delete the bypass. Or drill a series of small holes in the thermostat flange.

It is deleted because even after the engine warms up, it is recirculating hot water right back into the water pump, and into the block, without being cooled by the radiator.

It is deleted because even after the engine warms up, it is recirculating hot water right back into the water pump, and into the block, without being cooled by the radiator.

Not as much as one might think though. There is a great amount of restriction created in the diameter(s) and shape of that bypass.

Makes very little difference if it's blocked off except it makes it harder to fill with coolant, because the coolant can't flow and get the air pockets out of the block until the thermostat opens.

If you dont think much water flows through that hose, pull it off with the engine running then, and let me know, LMAO. As was allready pointed out, most times it is unused on race engines, where you would use a restrictor in place of a themostat, so filling is no issue. I dont see any reason to bypass it on the street though.........

I deleted my bypass hose. I was trying everything imaginable to get my block to stay cool, it never really would stay cool on a 115 degree day, but I think I might be asking a lot for that to happen. The car will stay around 195 now on a cooler day of around 85-90 degrees outside. But I could tell no difference bypassing the hose, and I run a thermostat, I took two different temp guns and checked various places around the block and found no differences in temp.

Attachments

• DSC00968.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 313
I deleted my bypass hose. I was trying everything imaginable to get my block to stay cool, it never really would stay cool on a 115 degree day, but I think I might be asking a lot for that to happen. The car will stay around 195 now on a cooler day of around 85-90 degrees outside. But I could tell no difference bypassing the hose, and I run a thermostat, I took two different temp guns and checked various places around the block and found no differences in temp.

Well that cleared that up. 90% street is a good bit.

Is Chrysler the only one with the bypass hose?

-
Back