Bypassing Reverse Light Switch

-

JD Erisman

Reaction score
Maybe someone else has figured this out and already posted but I didn’t find it in a search.

I’m sure many of you are like me and don’t want to pay for a reverse lights switch for your console automatic or even the column auto. They cost far too much for what they are and lots of Mopars use them. In my ‘67 I have a console auto, the switch broke after less than a year and I didn’t want to spend another $150, or more, plus shipping. A difference for some is my car has a 727 that I’ve been running for nearly 30 years and it was a ‘70-‘80s core that came with the three pin NSS. What did I do to avoid the costly new switch?

I found a wiring harness built for ‘69-‘70 (maybe even ‘71-‘74?) B body that connects the NSS to the neutral safety spade on the relay and the reverse lights 2-pin connector that comes out of the firewall junction box into the car’s interior above the steering column.

I had to carefully split the tape wrapping on the new harness to pull out and extend the reverse lights connection from the rest of the harness.

I used some “real” wire wrap electrical tape to clean-up my tape cutting work. I have rolls and rolls for some reason.

I connected the brown wire/connector in the new harness to the correct spade on the relay.

I cut a slit in the clutch pedal firewall plug, ran the new harness’ reverse lights wiring/connector through the clutch firewall plug and connected it to the body wiring harness for the reverse lights where they come out of the bulkhead connector.

Once connected, the reverse lights come on when they should and the “neutral start” safety works.

If you have a console auto, the reverse lights wiring that connect to the switch on the shifter run under the carpet, behind the driver’s kick panel, come out under the dash and connect to the reverse wiring connector that comes out of the bulkhead connector. You simply disconnect at this junction and plug the new harness’ connector into the bulkhead reverse lights connector, this bypasses all of the reverse lights wiring that goes to the switch on the shifter. Unfortunately, it also bypasses the power to the shifter position light. I’ll figure that out later.

Whole thing took five to ten minutes, tops.

I realize similar results can be achieved by purchasing a new NSS connector, some wiring that most of us have anyway and splicing here and there but using this harness means a solid connection due to no splicing involved and it looks much cleaner, everything connected to my ’67 cuda as though the factory did it.

These wiring harnesses are all over the internet for about $40 new but I paid less as I bought an old one. As I said before, my car has a later model 727, I believe you need to have a 1968.5 or newer tranny to have the three-pin NSS. Just an alternative to expensive re-pop switches and splicing wires together.

Last edited:
I changed our first 67 fish from slant 6/column shift to 318/727/floor shift back in 1982. I did the same as you except routed the 2 wires through unused ports at bulk head connector.
I tapped the orange wire to radio lamp to get that power to shifter lamp and tapped the red wire at cig' lighter in dash to get that power to lighter in console.

Thanks for the idea on the shifter light! I’m going to do that this weekend. My ciggy lighter is long gone so I won’t worry about that. I appreciate your input.

Thanks for the idea on the shifter light! I’m going to do that this weekend. My ciggy lighter is long gone so I won’t worry about that. I appreciate your input.
Not all consoles had a lighter. There is a chrome delete cap for the hole beside the ash tray. I had a lighter so I powered it up. There isn't a lot of smoking today but many owners want a powered lighter well there for USB changer port. The lighter wells are pretty much universal so you could have a charging port there.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p...68F9pdHG-ADLnsGmfOhoCy3MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
i honestly dont recall if the shifter lamp had a ground wire or not, but I know the lighter well mounting must be grounded.

That is good info, thank you. I will work on finding a good way to splice into the radio wire. Soldering on my back upside is more and more difficult these days.

I got a couple pieces of wood and shaped them to fit on to the steering column. Mounted a couple limited switches on there one for reverse lights and the other for the neutral saftey switch. Took me almost a week of cutting and shaping wood until I got them to fit nicely. I had to do that, because I went thru at least 10 neutral safty switches on the transmission. Each and every one would leak through the switch.
I tried to caulk the switch but nothing helped so this is what I needed to do to drive the car. It look wierd but works perfectly

Maybe someone else has figured this out and already posted but I didn’t find it in a search.

I’m sure many of you are like me and don’t want to pay for a reverse lights switch for your console automatic or even the column auto. They cost far too much for what they are and lots of Mopars use them. In my ‘67 I have a console auto, the switch broke after less than a year and I didn’t want to spend another $150, or more, plus shipping. A difference for some is my car has a 727 that I’ve been running for nearly 30 years and it was a ‘70-‘80s core that came with the three pin NSS. What did I do to avoid the costly new switch?

I found a wiring harness built for ‘69-‘70 (maybe even ‘71-‘74?) B body that connects the NSS to the neutral safety spade on the relay and the reverse lights 2-pin connector that comes out of the firewall junction box into the car’s interior above the steering column.

I had to carefully split the tape wrapping on the new harness to pull out and extend the reverse lights connection from the rest of the harness.

I used some “real” wire wrap electrical tape to clean-up my tape cutting work. I have rolls and rolls for some reason.

I connected the brown wire/connector in the new harness to the correct spade on the relay.

I cut a slit in the clutch pedal firewall plug, ran the new harness’ reverse lights wiring/connector through the clutch firewall plug and connected it to the body wiring harness for the reverse lights where they come out of the bulkhead connector.

Once connected, the reverse lights come on when they should and the “neutral start” safety works.

If you have a console auto, the reverse lights wiring that connect to the switch on the shifter run under the carpet, behind the driver’s kick panel, come out under the dash and connect to the reverse wiring connector that comes out of the bulkhead connector. You simply disconnect at this junction and plug the new harness’ connector into the bulkhead reverse lights connector, this bypasses all of the reverse lights wiring that goes to the switch on the shifter. Unfortunately, it also bypasses the power to the shifter position light. I’ll figure that out later.

Whole thing took five to ten minutes, tops.

I realize similar results can be achieved by purchasing a new NSS connector, some wiring that most of us have anyway and splicing here and there but using this harness means a solid connection due to no splicing involved and it looks much cleaner, everything connected to my ’67 cuda as though the factory did it.

These wiring harnesses are all over the internet for about $40 new but I paid less as I bought an old one. As I said before, my car has a later model 727, I believe you need to have a 1968.5 or newer tranny to have the three-pin NSS. Just an alternative to expensive re-pop switches and splicing wires together.

That is how my Factory 69 Fish with console Auto works. Never changed a thing! Except the old brittle wiring with a new M&H harness! There is still a Factory lighting harness from the right kick panel under the carpet for the indicator light though. It has always been there. An Orange and Black! The NSS/BU harness goes the the Wiper bulkhead connector. The brown for NSS continues to the starter relay terminal G!

-
Back