C body 727 into A body. Any Issues?

-

Doosterfy

Reaction score
I'm putting a 440/727 into a 70 Duster. The car has the original slant six K frame and I'm usung Schumacher mounts and headers. I have two 727 transmissions. One is from a 74 Imperial 440 and the other is from a 72 Newport 400. My questions are; Is either of these trans cores better than the other as far as strength? Which ever one I use will get a rebuild so I'm wondering if one is better than the other to start with. They appear identical except the Imperial trans has a weight bolted onto the very rear of the tail housing and also the front pump casting is slightly different between the two. The tail housing is quite long, is that a problem? Obviously I need a shorter driveshaft but I want to know is there any other problems to be aware of? Thanks for any info, so far everyones been very helpful and I appreciate it.

the out side dimentions are the same on all of the late model car 727 tranmissions. the weight just absorbs vibrations. there may be some different parts in each of them with the 72 gettting the nod first. it may have the smaller kick down servo. the 74 may have a four clutch front drum and 4 pinion front planet. you'll have to take them apart and see.

i'd take them both apart and use the better parts in one. yes the imperial one will most likely have more clutches in the front drum but will shift softer. the newport one might have the 3/8" kick down servo piston.

Ive got a 74 new yorker 440-727 in my dart. No issues other then getting conversion mounts.:thumrigh:

Ive got a 77 newyorker trans in my 74 dart sport and no
Issues. It does some tabs and ears on the bell that i want
To cut off to make working on the car easier!!

The big block 727 was the same length as a small block 727. The factory trans mount from the A body will work fine. If you can find a driveshaft from a 340/727 car it will work too.

-
Back