C body 8 3/4 swap

-

Mikes270dart

Reaction score
Putting a new rear into my 1965 Dodge Dart. Cutting up a C body 8 3/4 with 11" brakes. Need verification on all measurements. There is no room for oops. Thanks

EVERY car is slightly different due to production variances, and tolerance stack up. You would be smart to measure your car, and cut the rear accordingly.

EVERY car is slightly different due to production variances, and tolerance stack up. You would be smart to measure your car, and cut the rear accordingly.

I would agree. On an early a-body, you might want to cut the housing so it's a little narrower than stock for more tire.

Mega-Dittos, if your going to cut it, buy the fat rear rims and tires you want to run and cut to those.

-- Putting a new rear into my 1965 Dodge Dart. Cutting up a C body 8 3/4 with 11" brakes. Need verification on all measurements. There is no room for oops. Thanks --
-- I have exactly that set-up (cut housing and axles) in My Valiant. I don't know the dimensions - I bought it already converted, and I can't measure it, because I'm in Florida, and the Valiant is in Pa. -- Perhaps my dimensions would be different anyway - My car is a 69. -- I've had "C" Body axles cut, re-splined an put into A-Body housings on other A Bodies in the past. Those axles have more meat, and have worked well for me, in 11 second cars. -- Good luck.

Mega-Dittos, if your going to cut it, buy the fat rear rims and tires you want to run and cut to those.
since the pearch distance has to stay at 43" you are talking about the distance from the backing plate to the pearch?

perches are the last thing you weld up. Get the pumpkin centered, measure the flange end distances and then have the tubes and axles cut and splined. Weld the ends in or weld the sectioned tubes together, put it under the car and set it in the loose perches on top of the springs. Bolt up the shock mounts with the Ubolts and snug the bolts just barely. Jack the rear springs up so the tire just clears the floor and then you can rotate the housing to get your ideal nose nose down degree. Tack the perches into place, remove and fully weld them in. You can also have the tires on the ground and use a floor jack under the nose of the diff to raise it to the desired nose down at ride height tha tyour suspension is set up for.

-- I have exactly that set-up (cut housing and axles) in My Valiant. I don't know the dimensions - I bought it already converted, and I can't measure it, because I'm in Florida, and the Valiant is in Pa. -- Perhaps my dimensions would be different anyway - My car is a 69. -- I've had "C" Body axles cut, re-splined an put into A-Body housings on other A Bodies in the past. Those axles have more meat, and have worked well for me, in 11 second cars. -- Good luck.
iam in the same boat,iam rebuilding a 65 dart,already have my rims ,centerlines 9" hoping to pit 275:s or 295"s,,what kind of job is it to have the x shorten would you think,thanks

-
Back