C body axles

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Can the axles from a 1978 9 1/4 c body diff be cut down and resplined for use in an A body 8 3/4?

I inherited a pair along with the 400 and they have the big bolt pattern.

well anything CAN be done ...
but as far as im concerned i would say no..
the 9 1/4 is a c-clip which wouldnt really matter since you are cutting that portion off when you are shortening it, but the outer end wont have the right diameter for the press on bearing plus i can guarantee it wont have the right off set for the brakes... so you would cut to length, then machine the right diameter for the splined end, then spline to match whatever carrier you might be using then machine the other end for diameter and to make a seal surface for the inner axle seal (which 9 1/4's dont use) then also the depth to make sure the offset is right for the brakes.. you can buy aftermarket (stronger) axles for less than you would be paying someone to machine all that...
just my opinion...

No. You're better to find a C body set and have them cut and re-splined.

No. You're better to find a C body set and have them cut and re-splined.

You mean B body right?

Sounds like Im better off with new Mosers. Should be around the 600-650 h.p level,so I dont think Yukons will do it.

Guess the axles can go in the scrap pile. Grabbed em just in case but oh well.

The ones to use are C and B body wagon axles, (70-73 C, 71-73 B) they're the longest at 31 12/64" and thus suited to cutting and re-splining for stock A body length. I know this because I just went through the same thing, but ended up buying new A body axles from Dr Diff.

The ones to use are C and B body wagon axles, (70-73 C, 71-73 B) they're the longest at 31 12/64" and thus suited to cutting and re-splining for stock A body length. I know this because I just went through the same thing, but ended up buying new A body axles from Dr Diff.

Also truck axles from around 70/71 thru 74 are also suitable to use.

C-Bodies can be cut and resplined. B-Body 8.75's cannot because of the taper near the splines.

BAxle02.jpg

-
Back