C-body mounts into A- body????

-

mopartyson

Reaction score
Was doing a mock up in my 71 valiant that was 318 auto. Had a 74 400 block out of a C-body that had spool mounts on it. So I set it in the car and the mounts lined up and it went right in place?! So my ? Is why does this work or not work. There has got to be something I'm missing here?? It can't be that easy.

Also my oil pan(aftermarket) clears everything and oil pump clears the K-member barely.

I THINK that the engine sits too far forward. Jim Lusk is your huckleberry on this one. He can tell you for sure.

I think its the original 71 V8 K. But it could have been swapped out at some point.

EDIT. After looking at pics of K members it looks like I have the 73 up V8 K.

Jim,

Not to hijack this thread, but after reading your write up on BBD, am I right in saying that moving the spool mount locations back and trimming the steering box mount that there are no other alterations that need to be done to one of these K frames? No cutting of the K itself?

Thanks

D

Back before Schumaker big block conversion mounts were available for the A & F body, I dropped a big block in for short money. I found a set of spool type mounts out of a 73 440 Fury and tried them out in my Volare big block. The passenger side mount was perfect. Block came within an eight of an inch of the blower fan but didn't touch anything. Drivers side mount was way off however. So, I unbent the tangs holding the biscuit in the mount bracket, moved it over to it's edge, drilled several holes and inserted set screws to hold it in place. Worked like a charm. I still had to grind on the K frame for oil pump clearance, but, that's the way it worked out. No cutting or welding. Broke as a joke big block motor mounts.

Greg

Jim,

Not to hijack this thread, but after reading your write up on BBD, am I right in saying that moving the spool mount locations back and trimming the steering box mount that there are no other alterations that need to be done to one of these K frames? No cutting of the K itself?

Thanks

D

Correct, that is all that is needed...

-
Back