C&R Explains Adv Cooling

-
Very interesting, but it provided me with more questions than answers. I continually find new things I'm ignorant of,
but the relevance of the article to my hobby evades me.

BC

Very interesting, but it provided me with more questions than answers. I continually find new things I'm ignorant of,
but the relevance of the article to my hobby evades me.

BC

i agree, I had the same thing, more questions then answers, but I was hoping someone would have more info.

I read it. What question(s) do you have?

I read it. What question(s) do you have?

"
“If we could ever figure out how to build copper tube and fittings that could hold the pressure we want, we’d have something special..."

“They are not nearly as a strong as extruded and won’t handle the pressure, and pressure is the key in today’s world,” says Paulsen, adding that even more technology goes into the design and manufacturing of tiny louvers on the fins between the tubes.
"
why so much pressure. I know as pressure builds the boiling point is raised, but running at a higher temp is going to lessen output after a certain point which I would imagine is in the 200* range. So what are they using the pressure for?

and this

"
With regards to water flow, Paulsen admits there is a lingering theory that slow flow allows the water a chance to absorb the heat.
“We like a high flow rate,” stresses Paulsen. “It helps keep the hot spots down and higher flow rates create turbulation, which is where a tremendous amount of heat rejection comes from.”
"

I constantly see flow rate here on FABO as a problem, not a solution.

I'm curious about this comment and how it relates to the 200° comment made by 805moparkid...
“It simply allows you to run a lot hotter safely. But the systems have to be designed to support that pressure.”

Why would you run an engine at say, 300° ? or anything above 220° ?
Does a hotter engine run better, burn fuel more efficiently / completely? and thus more horsepower?

I also want to know what kind of oil they are using that will support +300° without burning.

Also, at that point, ( one would think ) timing would have to be retarded a fair amount to reduce pre-detonation

More pressure equals a lower boiling point. Now these numbers are just numbers and not fact or even close, but, let's just say.......

Your current car runs at or below 200*'s and makes 600HP

The heat generated by a 1200 HP car can operate at the same temp with a higher pressure system. If you tried to use your stock system, like in the 600hp car , the 1200 engine will not work right for long. Up the pressure from the stock 16lbs. system to 22lbs. And you raise the boiling point for another jump in power.

These guys are looking at pressures that the pipe can not handle and are using another metal that can hold the pressure but it is down on effeicentcy.

This is there problem.

The thing with flow rates is you need to quickly move the hot water/coolant out to the rad and move cool water I. To keep the engine happy. The longer the coolest stays in the engine, the more heat it can suck up and move away from the engine to the rad to be cooled.

The radiators they can make can hold a lot of hot coolent and get rid of the heat better than current radiators. The catch is weight, size and the coolent a abilty to hold more heat. A ow moving coolent absorbs more heat. But the engine will not like it. Enter high flowing water.

Get it? I hope I explained it OK.

Run your *** a BIG radiator WITH a fan shroud and ALOTTA fan with a GOOD water pump and HIGH FLOW thermostat and you'll have zero need for reading engineering level articles that confuse you even further.

LOL!

That write up is for stuff way beyond or wallets life time earnings.

-
Back